Engine oil leak

Cobra-R

Established Member
Just got my 05 6.0 back from the dealer for a oil leak coming from the rear cover on the engine. Had something to do with some fitting off the oil pump that loosened up and cause the cover to crack. (29,000 miles)

I talked to another local guy that had the same problem, how common is this? The dealer had seen it happen to a few other trucks, he said the problem usually showed up as a no start probem before they get as bad as mine did. He couldn't believe I hadn't had any starting problems.

Brian

svtguy

Established Member
Every 6.0 PSD I have seen leaks oil. My 05 started leaking (dripping oil on the ground) at 5,000 miles. Just had a 06 E350 with 4000 miles in the shop that was leaking oil. The 6.0 engines have a rear timing cover. It is where the cover bolts to the block is the source of the oil leak. If is wasn't for the extra towing power I needed, I'd have my V10 back.

Paul.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Yep Paul, it is the rear timing cover I was referring to. They claim now that it has been updated, it will not give problems again. ;)

Brian

loweredf1

Established Member
i also had a oil leak but mine was internal high pressure side of the oil pump i believe truck got where it didnt want to start then it just wouldnt start at all.

nik96

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Yep Paul, it is the rear timing cover I was referring to. They claim now that it has been updated, it will not give problems again. ;)

Brian

I'm pretty sure it was the rear pump cover(high pressure oil pump). The 05-07s have a unique pump and cover and a leak(while usually internal) is quite common. The high pressure oil pump has a fitting on it's outlet that basically distributes the oil to each head. The fitting goes bad and usually causes high pressure leak down and a no-start before anything else. I've personally never seen one actually crack the cover but I would not doubt it for a second. You should be golden with the updated repair. Part of the repair kit includes a thick steel bracket to reinforce the new fitting:rockon: .

Last edited:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Mine leaks as well. At first it was a pretty steady leak (would drip on the ground). But now it is just leaking out and staying under the cover. But every 6.0 I have seen has leaked oil also, if not there then somewhere else.

Cobra-R

Established Member
nik96 said:
I'm pretty sure it was the rear pump cover(high pressure oil pump). The 05-07s have a unique pump and cover and a leak(while usually internal) is quite common. The high pressure oil pump has a fitting on it's outlet that basically distributes the oil to each head. The fitting goes bad and usually causes high pressure leak down and a no-start before anything else. I've personally never seen one actually crack the cover but I would not doubt it for a second. You should be golden with the updated repair. Part of the repair kit includes a thick steel bracket to reinforce the new fitting:rockon: .

Good info, thanks. :) :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread