Engine Noise - Repair Day

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
OK.. So I had that very odd tapping noise if you all recall from a previous thread. Well, we had diagnosed it to a timing chain issue. Great.. So I take the car to Jason's to get her fixed. I figure hey.. we know the valve seals are blown.. let's check the compression while we are at it just for giggles. Well.. cylinders 1-6 are great.. anything from 160-180. Great right? Well.. As we are checking #7, I see some groaning and confusing pop up on Jason's face. Clearly something is wrong. Fine.. He obviously figures something was strange so we went to cylinder #8. Wow.. great news.. Cylinder #8 comes in at 179 twice. Awesome.. so back to #7.. well.. after 3 tried.. #7 comes in at a depressing 115. Eep.. So.. morning comes and we figure.. lets put some oil in there. Perhaps it's just the valve stuck.. we already know they need work. Well.. with a little oil.. the compression jumps up to 179. sigh... so much for getting off cheap. It seems that along with a timing chain\guide\tensioner.. and a valve job.. we are doing rings.. yipee!! :cuss:

So anywho.. we get the engine apart.. see the two pics below for the timing chain issue..and we find what in cylinder #7.. anyone.. anyone.. NOTHING!! Bet you did not see that coming. Head gasket was perfect.. the cylinder walls were seemingly perfect. No obvious sign of damage anywhere.. Your guess is as good as mine.

Anywho.. the point of this whole post was to et you up to speed with my engine tap that started last December. I also want to thank Jason of'course, and everyone else who helped out Saturday, even if all you did was try to get my Longtubes from me. *pokes 01lowboy*

Anywho.. as I said.. I have two pics of the timing chain below.. see if you can find the problem chain.

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

Last edited:

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
Well I hope everything ends up working out in the long fun for ya Jimmy. Was good times "supervising" on saturday.

AngelOreo said:
I also want to thank Jason of'course, and everyone else who helped out Saturday, even if all you did was try to get my Longtubes from me. *pokes 01lowboy*

:lol:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Guess I should exclude myself from the guessing game, huh?

Hope you get the car back together soon Jimmy, and that you managed to get past "Lord Vader" with those filthy shorts. Shoulda just blamed them on me - I already got blamed for everything else that went wrong yesterday!

And while we're playing guessing games...
How long do you think it will take Jason to figure out where I hid all his shop tools and leftover Cobra parts??

TRBO VNM

Tidoh said:
Guess I should exclude myself from the guessing game, huh?

Hope you get the car back together soon Jimmy, and that you managed to get past "Lord Vader" with those filthy shorts. Shoulda just blamed them on me - I already got blamed for everything else that went wrong yesterday!

And while we're playing guessing games...
How long do you think it will take Jason to figure out where I hid all his shop tools and leftover Cobra parts??

hahaha, good times. I did find my other flat head screw driver. it was in jimmy's engine bay.

and yeah, I will be looking around for a few days to locate everything. It all looks great Tim. I really appreciate it. next up will be mounting my water separator and pvc lines for the compressor.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the PVC. Probably for the best, though. There were WAY too many "supervisors" around the shop for a job like that.

Glad the flat head showed up...I am vindicated! Oh yeah, I just remembered -while I was cleaning up, I found a box marked "throw out bearing"...so I did! Hey, who am I to argue with a box? ;-)

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
hahaha, good times. I did find my other flat head screw driver. it was in jimmy's engine bay.

and yeah, I will be looking around for a few days to locate everything. It all looks great Tim. I really appreciate it. next up will be mounting my water separator and pvc lines for the compressor.

Ah HA! Told you i didnt lose your damned screwdriver.:banana:

TRBO VNM

Tidoh said:
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the PVC. Probably for the best, though. There were WAY too many "supervisors" around the shop for a job like that.

Glad the flat head showed up...I am vindicated! Oh yeah, I just remembered -while I was cleaning up, I found a box marked "throw out bearing"...so I did! Hey, who am I to argue with a box? ;-)

damn, are you serious or joking? that thing was brand new in factory wrapping...

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I've seen Tim's garage. He's serious. :poke:

Sound's like good times. I thought of coming by, nice day for a 60 mi cruise.
But went to Charlottesville to get some seats instead. That was TOO far. :D

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
damn, are you serious or joking? that thing was brand new in factory wrapping...
Just kidding, sorry to say...

No, I caught on pretty quickly after you wouldn't let me throw out those hacked up roll cage bars - don't throw out ANYTHING without asking. The gag was just too perfect to resist! :D

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Tidoh said:
Just kidding, sorry to say...

No, I caught on pretty quickly after you wouldn't let me throw out those hacked up roll cage bars - don't throw out ANYTHING without asking. The gag was just too perfect to resist! :D

yes it was...thanks. :lol:

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
lol, you dragged me into cutting up certain boxes Tim! So not fair lol.

Anyway, Jimmy, I hope you get it all worked out man! and I'll be glad to supervise ANYTIME! I'll bring the Pepsi for Charles too! :beer:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
I was telling Jimmy G that he looked like the actor Billy Zane, but he had no idea who he is. Well here ya go Jim:

billy-zane.jpg

I guess he was the "bad guy" in Titanic, although I've never seen it. Dead ringer I'd say!

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
haha My eyebrows are definitely much more bushy.. old manish... Not to mention I do not look quite as gay.. at least I don't think so.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Ha! I've heard BZ called a lot of things, but never gay!

Special maybe, but never gay!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Tidoh said:
Ha! I've heard BZ called a lot of things, but never gay!

Special maybe, but never gay!

Sounds like someone is a fan...

...you've never seen Titanic?

Users who are viewing this thread