Engine Noise Diagnosis after Broken Rocker Stud

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Last Fall I broke the #1 exhaust rocker arm stud on my 95R. Well I finally got around to working on it. It looks like I got lucky and there appears to be no further damage on the top side of the head. I replaced all the studs and buttoned everything back up. When I fired it up the engine has a noise that appears to be in the top part of the motor. My initial fear was a bent valve or maybe a blown head gasket caused by the exhaust valve staying shut. I did a compression test and it read: 1-130, 2-135, 3-145, 4-140. When I was doing the compression test I didn’t notice the noise so I am hopeful that it fixed itself. (maybe a temporarily collapsed lifter) I am going to reinstall the spark plugs and re-fire it. If the noise still persists I’ll readjust the valves and try it again. I’m trying to avoid opening the motor up because we are expecting a job offer necessitating a move to TX within the next couple/few months. Any suggestions on diagnosing the problem?

Last edited:

r82of250

Established Member
Had a topend noise a while back, changed lifters and that seemed to have solved the problem. Could be a header gasket? Noisy injector?

The valves aren't adjustable, are they? Thought you just tightened the rockers down(or at least that's what I was told by someone on this list!!).

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Had a topend noise a while back, changed lifters and that seemed to have solved the problem. Could be a header gasket? Noisy injector?

The valves aren't adjustable, are they? Thought you just tightened the rockers down(or at least that's what I was told by someone on this list!!).

Well... I'm not running the Cobra rocker arms anymore. They are stud mounted Pro Magnums.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Last Fall I broke the #1 exhaust rocker arm stud on my 95R. Well I finally got around to working on it. It looks like I got lucky and there appears to be no further damage on the top side of the head. I replaced all the studs and buttoned everything back up. When I fired it up the engine has a noise that appears to be in the top part of the motor. My initial fear was a bent valve or maybe a blown head gasket caused by the exhaust valve staying shut. I did a compression test and it read: 1-130, 2-135, 3-145, 4-140. When I was doing the compression test I didn’t notice the noise so I am hopeful that it fixed itself. (maybe a temporarily collapsed lifter) I am going to reinstall the spark plugs and re-fire it. If the noise still persists I’ll readjust the valves and try it again. I’m trying to avoid opening the motor up because we are expecting a job offer necessitating a move to TX within the next couple/few months. Any suggestions on diagnosing the problem?

Todd,

Is it a tick, or a knock?

GB

Users who are viewing this thread