Engine Management Technology Debate

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So I've been thinking a bit about this subject. How inconvenienced do you think you would be if your DD had a carb with a manual choke and a points-style distributor? What advantages/disadvantages do you think you'd see with a more modern setup with an electric choke and an HEI distributor?

Last edited:

CobraSam

Established Member
An old Foxbody of mine had a manual choke. Just had to pull a knob, turn the key and pretty much slowly push said knob back. Never even thought about it, let alone thought it was an inconvenience. This was a 3 season semi-daily car though. I personally liked the manual choke too, I felt more involved in the car. If that makes sense.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
An old Foxbody of mine had a manual choke. Just had to pull a knob, turn the key and pretty much slowly push said knob back. Never even thought about it, let alone thought it was an inconvenience. This was a 3 season semi-daily car though. I personally liked the manual choke too, I felt more involved in the car. If that makes sense.

That's my experience too. I feel once you have a feel for the engine I can start it better with a manual choke than it can with an electric one.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
That's my experience too. I feel once you have a feel for the engine I can start it better with a manual choke than it can with an electric one.

I live in siberia and the manual chokes always started no matter what. I had a POS bronco with a 302 that would start in -25f like nothing.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I replaced more electric chokes and vacuum pulloffs than I ever did choke cables. Damn am I dating myself. I would go with electronic ignition over points and condenser.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For a DD, if I had to go from Port EFI to manual choke Carb and points Id probably not be a fan. But its like anything else, youd get used to it and it would just be "the way".

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Definitely would not be choosing to go that route. I actually enjoy the ease of EFI.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Never dealt with manual choke. But I had a couple carbs with electric chokes. It fired up every time, but not like Az gets that cold. I definitely don't miss points ignition. The car ran so much better with electronic ignition.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I grew up in the '60s and '70s and had my share of manual chokes and points ignition setups (single and dual). Absolutely no way would I want to return to that. I'm more than happy with today's electronic ignitions. I turn the key, regardless of the weather, and my G-70 starts instantly, maintaining a proper RPM range and A/F ratio with no needed input from me. The ONLY manual choke that I can willingly live with is my snow blower. LOL.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
A little tuning goes a long way. Carb w/ choke works dang near as good as mpfi. Sometimes you get a couple extra cranks when it's hot, but nothing terrible. Rubbing blocks on the points now a days are shit, but everything will run fine. Spend a few extra min setting it up properly, you'll be surprised.

Have a MSD pro billet dizzy in my '70 with 6AL box. Have not replaced the cap or rotor for over a decade. Come to think about it should do it soon, but no ill effects yet. Do it! It will take you back to basics! Nice change for some.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
The real question is when?

Nowadays, the likelihood any carb you buy, straight out of the box, is basically junk. Same with the points and condenser. I wouldn't trust a carb/points car with my life unless I knew it was an old casting motorcraft/holley from back in the day.

A holley 600 with a duraspark OE ford system was a solid little setup. Still is IMO

But more-so than anything, there's about 3 people on this entire planet who can actually tune a carb'd car.. the likelihood that your example vehicle runs correctly is pretty low lol

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Back in high school/college, I had an MGB that had an electronic ignition, an electronic fuel pump, and a manual choke. I still maintain that this is/was the ideal setup, at least for me.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I miss the old diaphragms pumps on the block. Easy to change. I know, volume. At least put the electric ones in the frame rail or something. I ****ing hate dropping tanks to change a pump.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Maybe I'm getting old. But I remember my Holley carbs in the choke position upon start up. Then open as engine warmed. All it ever took was one pump on the accelerator pedal, turn the key, VROOM!

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
The real question is when?

Nowadays, the likelihood any carb you buy, straight out of the box, is basically junk. Same with the points and condenser. I wouldn't trust a carb/points car with my life unless I knew it was an old casting motorcraft/holley from back in the day.

A holley 600 with a duraspark OE ford system was a solid little setup. Still is IMO

But more-so than anything, there's about 3 people on this entire planet who can actually tune a carb'd car.. the likelihood that your example vehicle runs correctly is pretty low lol
Just went to town putting webers on my track car, car hauler is a carbed BB Chev used to be GM TBI, took it out in favor of a Edelbrock 750. over half of my other fun cars are carbed, digital ignition, with a dizzy. It's just what I grew up working on. Haven't left for much newer tech yet. The newer stuff is the problem for me.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just went to town putting webers on my track car, car hauler is a carbed BB Chev used to be GM TBI, took it out in favor of a Edelbrock 750. over half of my other fun cars are carbed, digital ignition, with a dizzy. It's just what I grew up working on. Haven't left for much newer tech yet. The newer stuff is the problem for me.

Didn't like the GM Terribly Bad Injection?

Users who are viewing this thread