Engine Life?

01silverstang

Established Member
What is the expected engine life for a 4.6 2 valve and 4.6 4 valve? I know to give a perfect answer much more information is needed. However I'm looking for a general answer.

I'm looking a few Mustangs to hold me over till I can order a new one, everything from an 01 Bullitt to both a 99 Cobra and 98 Cobra. The last V8 I had was an LS1 which were known to hit 200k miles with proper maintenance. I have only had one mod V8 and didn't have it long enough to get a feel for what the motor was capable of in terms of longevity.

All help would be appreciated!

Kiohtee

Established Member
I used to have a '97 GT was the second owner according to CARFAX. The original owner obviously hadn't cared for the car as almost everything was original and parts were breaking left and right. Once I gave it a tune up, I put a solid 20k miles on it and those were VERY hard miles. With a 93 tune and basic bolt-ons no less. It was at 160k.

I've seen many GTs with 200k+ and even a few Terminators with 200k+. 150k is nothing for these things, just look at for sale ads.

01silverstang

Established Member
Yeah I have seen a few on autotrader with almost 200k, then there are people on the forums who have spun a rod bearing with 130k while driving down the highway.

I know abuse will shorten an engines life, but wondered what most would expect out of these motors when taken care of? Which motor would last longer 2v or 4v? Is there really even a difference between the two in terms of length of engine life?

GTBill

Established Member
IMO i would get something thats not a high mileage v8 mod motor to "hold you over". Sure they can last long and be great engines, but the chances of you finding a high mileage mod motor that hasn't been beat on are slim to none. It would probably be something that you'd end up throwing money at which would take longer to get your new mustang.

anyway to answer your questions: there's a few different 4v motors and there's a few different 2v motors. some are built slightly better, but with no abuse and a perfect world they'll last about the same, with a slight advantage going to the 2v engine because it has less moving parts.

Users who are viewing this thread