Engine Help

BlownCobra88

Good Run
Established Member
Hey guys,

I just bought a 89' SSP Notch.

The guy a bought it from says he had the engine fully rebuilt ten thousand miles ago..

I didn't trust him so I tore the engine / trans out and is now sitting on a stand.
From what he tells me it has World Products heads 190cc Cast with a Ford Racing X Cam and also new pistons, he forgot what else he put in it..

Stock aren't these forged bottom ends?

I took the valve covers off and found blue rocker arms from ford that are stamped 1.60.

one of the springs inside of the spring ( i guess thats what it is ) is broken and I am looking to buy new springs but have NO idea on what to get?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

If you have any questions let me know, and I will see if I can answer them so you guys can help me! Haha

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Just the pistons were forged for your year. I believe they changed to hypereutectic pistons in '90 or '91. The rest of the rotating assembly is cast.

As for springs I would call Summit Racing and just get some springs that are an upgrade over stock. I did that when I switched to 1.7 rockers and have had no problems. I wish I could tell you what springs they were, but I put them in 9 years ago. I know the springs I got were simply a step above the stockers, nothing super fancy.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Blue ford stamped rockers are aftermarket. They are likely the FRPP 1.6 units, and they are fine. Stock look like little stamped steel spoons.

As for springs, as Doug just said, just call summit and get new ones. I upgraded mine years ago also, and I think they were crane springs, but damn if I can remember anymore. I forget who makes those "beehive" springs, but they are supposed to be good.

As Doug also mentioned, only the pistons were forged. They switched to the hyper setup in 93 (and possibly some late build 92's).

One question...if you didn't trust this guy, why buy the car?

Users who are viewing this thread