Engine Gurus Needed

Birchman1310

Established Member
It's a sad day but I've spun a bearing in my 03 Cobra. I'm awaiting word on how bad the damage is but I'm leaning towards swapping the motor entirely since it's out of the car already.

Background- Car has a newly installed 2.3 TVS with a 3.0 upper and 4lb lower. Car has the typical supporting mods to include headers. The original plan was to see about 700whp for a fun street car that is reliable. I don't road race at all and see the track about 2x a year.

I'm looking for recommendations on motor builds for my car. I've found TONS of options but given the above goals and information, who can shed some light on the topic. My tuner really likes the 5.3L Ford performance stroker motor. I've also read great things about mmr, l&m, and livernois. I'd like to be under/at $6k for the motor.

Any points for one company over the other? Any experience with customer service or issues with their motors upon arrival? Theres no time crunch as I live in the midwest and car will be away til the spring.

Any and all help is appreciated. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Wait and see what the damage is. Unless you have your heart set on going with something bigger that is. If you end up only needing rings, bearings, and the crank machined I'd go that route. It'll save you a good amount of money.

Birchman1310

Established Member
Dang that sucks, didn't you just get tuned!?

Aluminator Shortblock
Yes but we found out the guy I bought it from who claimed it to be a 16k mile virgin was full of it. The motor was blown up at some point and rebuilt by an airhead. The crank was cracked and there was a bunch of issues with the rotating assembly. About $3500 in parts/labor to fix it.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe a set of cams for your build? I am running comp stage 2 cams in my car. I wish they were more noticable but I do enjoy the way they deliver the power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchman1310

Established Member
Maybe a set of cams for your build? I am running comp stage 2 cams in my car. I wish they were more noticable but I do enjoy the way they deliver the power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought about cams but I'm trying to keep the car streetable and I'm already dialing it back to 700whp

01blckcobra

Established Member
Build the engine yourself, be much happier. Pakes engine and machine janesville,wi - does top notch machining work. It will be done correctly.. Bills great to work with and will go above and beyond.

"They just won't assemble anything..." for you but its not hard to torque things down. If you want to go that route. They will treat you right.

01blckcobra

Established Member
I have extra parts if you need some. I actually ahve and MMR block you can have. "See if it can be saved"? also rods, and few head components.

Users who are viewing this thread