Engine Ground Help 4v swap

salstage2

Established Member
Hey all,

To begin with this is for a 2001 cobra swapped gt

I’ve been going back and forth with a couple of local car guys in my area and I decided to post the question up here. Recently my beauty (4v swapped gt) has been giving me problems at stoplights. She occasionally turns off and she will start right back up.

I have gone through and triple, quadruple checked all the vac lines. I have brand new maf, spark plugs, iac valve, etc. And I can’t seem to track down the culprit. The car does feel like it has a bit loss in power. After speaking to a couple of buddies they seem to point me to the culprit being none other than ground cables and I’m not sure if that will fix the problem. So here I am asking you all for help.

Off the top of my head, The grounds I currently have are the one from the battery down to the starter it seems, then the one that leads to the fuse box. I have added 2 additional grounds myself from the front of the block to the frame. Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment since I remember when I was doing the swap I was surprised that the car didn’t have a lot of grounds. There are also some small misc grounds like the ones on top of where the driver headlight is as well as one by where the hood bolts are. I’ll update as I find more.

So my question is: would the grounds be the reason why the car dies out sometimes at idle on the street? If so where else could I add some ground straps too? It currently also has an aftermarket k member as well. It is fully built minus supercharger.

Any additional help or input is greatly appreciated!!! It is slowly frustrating me that I can’t seem to find the culprit lol I really want to get it fixed and back on the road!!

— Sal

shurur

Established Member
Do you have a code reader?
..or better yet a scan tool..

Otherwise you are going to be guessing.

My car did what you described and it turns out the fuel pump is failing intermittently.

salstage2

Established Member
Sorry I did forget to mention that it shows no codes or anything of the sort. The last code it threw was about 2 months ago for 02 sensors which I changed out and took care of...

The car has been fully tuned as well for the new set up also.

A little more specifics would be it happens when I push in the clutch coming to a stop light or sometimes simply idling. It’ll try to surge sometimes and catch itself but others it just dies outright. It also started out with dying about once a week but now it does it several times a day if I drive it. It starts right back up, and it doesn’t crank slowly. It fires up right away.

salstage2

Established Member
UPDATE:

Today I went ahead and decided to replace the fuel pump to see what would happen. To my surprise I find out it is dated 8/13/99 so it’s safe to assume the car needed and upgrade lol.

I went ahead and installed a spare we had from our gt500 and let me tell you it was night and day difference. It did die on my driveway as I was reversing out but once it was on the street, it was completely different than before. Hopefully this has solved my problem for now. I rather it die on my driveway and not on the street than vice versa lol. If the problem continues to persist I will update the thread and go from there. I’ll probably still end up adding an extra ground or two for safe measure.

—Sal

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If it just started I would check the IAC. If it's always done it I would get the tune tweaked.

Users who are viewing this thread