Engine coming out, cheap upgrades?

Awt2

Established Member
My engine is coming out soon, any little things to know to do while i have it out?

Im pretty sure I just spun a rod bearing, so i plan to cut the crank down and get over-sized bearings to compensate.

What are some cheap things I can do with it out, Im running on a tight budget for now. Would degreeing my cams cost me anything, or do I have to get adjustable gears for that?

CJK440

Established Member
When I degreed my cams I filed the cam sprocket keyways to get the movement I needed. Supposedly the keys are for quick assembly line alignment but the bolt clamps the gear in place. Some say if you get the timing right, the keys are not even needed once the bolt is torqued down. I'm not about to bet my pistons and valves on that though.

Gasket matching and basic cylinder head bowl blending can net some gain for little cost provided you don't go crazy.

And honestly, IMHO the biggest gain when going thru a used B head motor is being able to clean all the caked on crap in the secondary intake ports and valves. Be sure to completely disassemble the heads and clean the ports and valves. Mine had 50k and were nasty!!! Put new valve seals in on assembly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread