Engine CARNAGE...#8... 5L KryPoNITE

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
EVERYONE should be datalogging and correcting their tunes anyway. tuners will make corrections for you.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Little OT..but since were talking about issues with these cars, does anyone's 6MT whine like a damn KB cobra?? I'm goin to be changing the fluid very soon, hopefully it clears that as well as the notchyness up.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
I think you should trade it now the value is higher now - no one where you live is going to be buying a rear wheel vehicle in the fall of the year - make sense?

Get rid of that lemming now - it is a lemming right? That is what your saying right?

no, the car is not a "lemon" if that is what you are asking. it is a fantastic car besides the manual transmission problems. it just isn't practical for me to keep a $35k car that i can't drive in the winter when i have a baby on the way... it will likely get traded in toward a bigger SUV.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
I heard the guy claiming the 13:1 AF was not using a Wideband on the Dyno. He also had the wrong tune for the CAI installed because he never gave Lethal on the Information. Jon corrected the tune and his car now has the correct tune and if datalogged would be around 12.4 AF

wrong guy wrong tune

Get some 5.0

Established Member
A month and a half ago mine did the same the thing. I had 5700 miles on my engine. I got lucky and Ford replaced the motor. These motors should be able to handle any bolt on's. Ford needs to fix this before they start losing mustang fans. I put a tune on the new motor 2 days after I got it back. Its been running fine, I'm a little scared to get on it too hard. I dont here of the SS having this problem. I dont like a camero body style but damn, why pay for something your scared to get on.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
too much info from too many "tooners" and not enough tuners..

I'd have a hard time beleiving this air fuel ratio is the cause of the damage...

I think more is to be learned from looking at the piston than fighting over 12.5 - 13.0 afr.. hell no where in between has ever really been considered "dangerous" on a NA car up until this thread..

It looks like there was a ring landing failure.. and the pistons doesn't look melted on top or anything of that nature..

Did the plugs show signs of detonation? How much timing was in the tune?

I'm inclined to agree with this. The piston top photographed in the original post shows no sign of detonation. Depending on the severity of it (Enough to cause a malfunction like what is seen) you'll generally be able to see balls of molten steel attached to the piston surfaces. You especially see these on the plug electrodes as well.

That's certainly not to say that detonation wasn't happening. Little men with hammers can do their work silently with little evidence left behind. But then in those situations the damage is usually done over a long period of time.

I'd be interested to know what was going on with the engine when the actual failure occurred. Was the car being driven normally, spiritedly? Was it at max RPM, possibly over-revved.

There's a lot of variables to look at.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...excessive-motorsport-5-0l-11-78-117-48-a.html

Tune by none other than Chris Mcduff of Excessive Motorsport in Manassas VA, this is the guy who he was tuned by. Also ive heard a few cars he tuned popped the #8. I Talked to a guy at HighEnd-Auto and heard about this car. I told him what to do but he wouldnt listen to me. Oh well thankfully i wouldnt consider this chris guy to tune my car

and theres the problem

they put 25* of timing in my supercharged mach 1 after assuring me that after pulling the front off that everything was in time.

15 psi on a vortech and it made 311 rwhp. head was off 2 teeth!!!!

after getting it fixed, it made 581rwhp.

what excessive said was "correct" on top and after my tuner pulled it apart and fixed it on the bottom

14531_604920038618_38701349_35391557_3514698_n.jpg

excessive still maintained it was correct and something else was wrong.

STAY AWAY

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
OP, can you verify that the tune you had was reading the knock sensors? It was common practice on the 99/01 cobra's to stop reading those because wheel hop and other drivetrain vibrations would give false readings.

That worked to the advantage of those cars that were on 91-93 octane and much lower compression. These certainly aren't the old 4.6 motors though.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
OP, can you verify that the tune you had was reading the knock sensors? It was common practice on the 99/01 cobra's to stop reading those because wheel hop and other drivetrain vibrations would give false readings.

That worked to the advantage of those cars that were on 91-93 octane and much lower compression. These certainly aren't the old 4.6 motors though.

Yes the knock sensors were on and set to whatever sct has in there base files sensitivity wise. We even logged the car on the street to see of they were pulling any timing.

jbur074

Established Member
man i just got my car saturday, now im scared to mod it. guess ill be doing a catback and thats it until the issue is resolved :'( wish i would have read this thread before i bought my car

TBuick87

Established Member

Agreed, but then your NEXT Motor would go..and the Next, etc., etc.,..
This is CLEARLY a FORD Issue..look at all the Other message boards,
and all the posts..This is some SCARY Sh*t guys....

btw, this is Turboba6 on all the other boards, I joined SVT back in 2001
back in my Buick days...

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Agreed, but then your NEXT Motor would go..and the Next, etc., etc.,..
This is CLEARLY a FORD Issue..look at all the Other message boards,
and all the posts..This is some SCARY Sh*t guys....

btw, this is Turboba6 on all the other boards, I joined SVT back in 2001
back in my Buick days...

well you can richen an individual cyl up. so between richen number 8 and a better piston we'll see. the top of the piston really doesnt so any signs of detenation so it could just be the extra heat of that cyl and crappy pistons not going well together

Last edited:

jbur074

Established Member
so i got my car used and it was bone stock. however today i found sticker residue on the dash, its an SCT sticker. should i be worried?

Users who are viewing this thread