Engine CARNAGE...#8... 5L KryPoNITE

1Quick4.6

Established Member
No matter what you day man, your A/F was dangerously lean even for n/a. If you were tuned on the ragged edge with decent gas, then what happens if you get some bad gas and the knock sensors are not getting the #8? Kaboom. This was caused by the tune that was made in optimal conditions. Out on the road is sometimes not optimal. My advice for anyone running a tune like this, would be to run a can of torco with a full tank of gas for added octane and safety. Better to run rich then lean and then this happens. I would ask my tuner to pull the a/f back just a tad. But you better have an ofroad mid pipe or you run the risk of clogging the cats.
Go back to tuner school 12.8-13.0:1 is the norm for NA stuff heck factory the car was 12.5:1 also the car was logged on the road and was pulling any timing also if you add torco the car will automatically add timing just ask your tunning guru Lund
Yeah, I would stay away with the amateur tuners on this type of high compression motor. Stick with the lund tunes, and make sure you get your A/F checked on a dyno and not just trust the mail order tune is good. Not all cars are created equal.

keep on talking about what you dont know the lund tunes fora bolt on NA 11 are 13:1 WE JUST SPUN ONE UP

Last edited:

1Quick4.6

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...excessive-motorsport-5-0l-11-78-117-48-a.html

Tune by none other than Chris Mcduff of Excessive Motorsport in Manassas VA, this is the guy who he was tuned by. Also ive heard a few cars he tuned popped the #8. I Talked to a guy at HighEnd-Auto and heard about this car. I told him what to do but he wouldnt listen to me. Oh well thankfully i wouldnt consider this chris guy to tune my car

the hi-end auto guy is me by the way, so what did you tell me?

SicShelby09

Banned
Go back to tuner school 12.8-13.0:1 is the norm for NA stuff heck factory the car was 12.5:1

keep on talking about what you dont know the lund tunes fora bolt on NA 11 are 13:1 WE JUST SPUN ONE UP

I know that NOT to be true. Call over to lethal. Why would he send out a MAIL ORDER tune running that lean. Number one rule is to make it safe for all cars and all types of gas, not octane. because 93 here may be a little different than 93 somewhere else. Besides man, you are the one with the blown motor and we all know it was TUNE related. You shouldnt be defending this. Kudos to Ford for catching your foulup. I hope you have to pay out of pocket for the whole deal, you deserve it with your attitude.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
I know that NOT to be true. Call over to lethal. Why would he send out a MAIL ORDER tune running that lean. Number one rule is to make it safe for all cars and all types of gas, not octane. because 93 here may be a little different than 93 somewhere else. Besides man, you are the one with the blown motor and we all know it was TUNE related. You shouldnt be defending this. Kudos to Ford for catching your foulup. I hope you have to pay out of pocket for the whole deal, you deserve it with your attitude.

here ya go mister smarty 2nd graph lund tune perfect 13;1 across the board. lethal doesnt tune do they. this is a graph for LUNDs tuning
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...11-gt-jlt-cai-dyno-results-vs-k-n-filter.html

ViciousJay

Established Member
the hi-end auto guy is me by the way, so what did you tell me?

i told him to do the battery trick but to leave the interior lights on and tow it in, they cant deny you shit if they dont know whats been done. regardless of ford the reason they didnt see duty cycle was because draining the battery flushes all cycles and they can make all the assumptions they want but further more they should have fixed your motor. As for you tune, i would get a new tune for sure. but i see you had light mods like headers and tune and some bolt ons. Other then the tune there should be no reason why this thing tanked. Your tune was the culprit. I made 422/377 on a jlt intake, tune and h pipe with a a/f of 12.4 across the board

as for the lund tune, i wasnt and still am not happy with my Cam tune.

Last edited:

1bad04cobra

Established Member
So op, are you claiming a design flaw? Or implying the these motors cant be tuned at all? You say common. But this is the first I heard of this type of failure with a proper tune:shrug:

bustednuts

Established Member
Another CLOWN in this giant circus - same circus, different Clowns :cryying:
P

11BLK5.0

Established Member
Makes me worry now. I myself am not happy with the cam lund tune aswel to much back fire

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Quit trusting the dyno widebands and not the actual vehicle widebands. That Lund dyno means nothing. I have one of his tunes and was told by him he commands richer fuel than stock.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
with the transmission problems i have been having, i decided to take my tune off and put my car back to stock last week. i keep reading about engine and transmission failures, and i can't afford to have a problem and then have the warranty voided. my future plans have changed anyway (just found out i have a baby on the way), so this car is likely to get traded in at the end of the summer. maybe sooner if ford does not step up and fix all these damn tranny problems...

bustednuts

Established Member
I think you should trade it now the value is higher now - no one where you live is going to be buying a rear wheel vehicle in the fall of the year - make sense?

Get rid of that lemming now - it is a lemming right? That is what your saying right?

DIB5.0

Established Member
Plus these cars Make more Power Richer than Stock and a few degrees more Spark. so why would Lund or any tuner want to run it lean?

Sosick

Established Member
I don't really believe all these tuners are putting out bad tunes. My boy got his car tuned at probably the most reputable shop in MD and the surrounding area and his motor went up the next day. He had already taken the car to Ford complaining of a miss. Most of them seem to have a slight miss in them from the ones I've been around. Mine cut off at the light on me one day for no apparent reason and its stock minus a k&n. I believe there is something up with these motors that Ford doesn't want to deal with.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
So op, are you claiming a design flaw? Or implying the these motors cant be tuned at all? You say common. But this is the first I heard of this type of failure with a proper tune:shrug:

there out there you just have to look. i just talked to a guy last night that said he had the same mods and lost his motor and ford gave him a new one knowing this in return that he not post any info about it or talk about it :pop:
Quit trusting the dyno widebands and not the actual vehicle widebands. That Lund dyno means nothing. I have one of his tunes and was told by him he commands richer fuel than stock.
your right dont trust a dyno wideband who would have though about that one:poke: the graph is one of his tunes end of story. it means lund tuned that car to 13:1 thats what it means

DIB5.0

Established Member
I heard the guy claiming the 13:1 AF was not using a Wideband on the Dyno. He also had the wrong tune for the CAI installed because he never gave Lethal on the Information. Jon corrected the tune and his car now has the correct tune and if datalogged would be around 12.4 AF

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
too much info from too many "tooners" and not enough tuners..

I'd have a hard time beleiving this air fuel ratio is the cause of the damage...

I think more is to be learned from looking at the piston than fighting over 12.5 - 13.0 afr.. hell no where in between has ever really been considered "dangerous" on a NA car up until this thread..

It looks like there was a ring landing failure.. and the pistons doesn't look melted on top or anything of that nature..

Did the plugs show signs of detonation? How much timing was in the tune?

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Im sure this is why Job 1 GTs were delayed about 2 months. They all had compromised ring installs or ring issues from what has been rumored.

Users who are viewing this thread