Engine CARNAGE...#8... 5L KryPoNITE

ncarter124

Established Member
its definitely not one man i know of more people than i can fit in my kitchen that have lost number 8 this way.let me ask you this how many people do you hear of with the bad or rough idle issue... a ton and thats the only issue mine showed heck it didnt even make noise or smoke i could have traded it in lol heck there are 2 cars sitting at livernois (one shop) for new motors because of number 8 tuned by different places

Exactly.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i feel really bad for this guy. With after market tunes this is the chance u take. The motor is still a newer motor. U gotta think of the money and time ford put into the factory tune. Think about what an aftermarket tune gets. an hour on rollers.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
i feel really bad for this guy. With after market tunes this is the chance u take. The motor is still a newer motor. U gotta think of the money and time ford put into the factory tune. Think about what an aftermarket tune gets. an hour on rollers.

well you obviously haven't paid any attension to my previous posts you've trolled other than this thread . the problem starts with the fact these cars are designed to vary the amount of timing for whatever fuel your using and the FACTORY knock sensors arent picking up number 8 for what ever reason(as stated by FORD) Even with a factory tune thats a recipe for disaster. We will see this on stockers i bet ya....heck there might just be one popping up right now but i'll let them decicde wether they want to enter this thread

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Damn that sucks..

I wonder how many of these motors have let go ?

As far as warranty claims, I'm sure it's different now that Ford has already stepped in.. but often you can find a dealer that is willing to cooperate with certain mods. I mean afterall its money in their pocket either way.

I had the CP3 injector pump start leaking on an 07 Dodge.. Well It was going to cost me around $1K for a replacement pump, and a ton of work. The truck was under warranty, but all the emission control system was deleted (automatic warranty killer) and a Smarty programmer..

I found a dealership that was willing to "overlook" certain things and they fixed the truck for free. The bill said the injector pump was $4700!

Last edited:

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
That really sucks!!!

As we all know, modding is a crap shoot and you have to be ready for the possible fallout.

I bought mine in Sept 2010, installed a Borla S type axeback , a 6 year 48K (only drive 6K a year) extended warranty and that's it.

I came out of a 2003 Modded Cobra and I am not disappoint in the stock 2011GT one bit! just my opinion!!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
its definitely not one man i know of more people than i can fit in my kitchen that have lost number 8 this way.let me ask you this how many people do you hear of with the bad or rough idle issue... a ton and thats the only issue mine showed heck it didnt even make noise or smoke i could have traded it in lol heck there are 2 cars sitting at livernois (one shop) for new motors because of number 8 tuned by different places

One? Try dozens. Just a matter of pushing your luck with this motor from what I see. I want to be able to sleep at night so I refuse to mod anything under the hood whatsoever. I don't have the money to be doing 5k mile engine swaps. Lol.

maybe I should post up how many lightnings have lost motors or shoot, include how many have lost built motors???? does that keep me from modding mine and romping on it? nope. 71k miles and still just fine.

SicShelby09

Banned
No matter what you day man, your A/F was dangerously lean even for n/a. If you were tuned on the ragged edge with decent gas, then what happens if you get some bad gas and the knock sensors are not getting the #8? Kaboom. This was caused by the tune that was made in optimal conditions. Out on the road is sometimes not optimal. My advice for anyone running a tune like this, would be to run a can of torco with a full tank of gas for added octane and safety. Better to run rich then lean and then this happens. I would ask my tuner to pull the a/f back just a tad. But you better have an ofroad mid pipe or you run the risk of clogging the cats.

lsp408

Established Member
Not to start shit or point finger to anyone, but I would like to have some tuner step in this thread and give their $0.02

bustednuts

Established Member
This guy pops in here and posts this and then refuses to identify who the tuner was- as far as I'm concerned until and unless you post up who the tuner was/is so the rest of the forum can choose to stay away from them - this is a BS post, that deserves no attention what so ever - :shrug:

ViciousJay

Established Member
This guy pops in here and posts this and then refuses to identify who the tuner was- as far as I'm concerned until and unless you post up who the tuner was/is so the rest of the forum can choose to stay away from them - this is a BS post, that deserves no attention what so ever - :shrug:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...excessive-motorsport-5-0l-11-78-117-48-a.html

Tune by none other than Chris Mcduff of Excessive Motorsport in Manassas VA, this is the guy who he was tuned by. Also ive heard a few cars he tuned popped the #8. I Talked to a guy at HighEnd-Auto and heard about this car. I told him what to do but he wouldnt listen to me. Oh well thankfully i wouldnt consider this chris guy to tune my car

Ray Lucca

Established Member
The Frpp Tune can be used and keep the full warranty, if installed when new. Anyone Dyno. and better yet Data-log that Tune Vs. Stock??? I wonder how many cycles the car went through after being flipped back to stock before going to Ford and being denied??? On the older cars a week or two minimum was needed to clear any sign of the Tune in the ECU.....

SicShelby09

Banned
Yeah, I would stay away with the amateur tuners on this type of high compression motor. Stick with the lund tunes, and make sure you get your A/F checked on a dyno and not just trust the mail order tune is good. Not all cars are created equal.

ViciousJay

Established Member
The Frpp Tune can be used and keep the full warranty, if installed when new. Anyone Dyno. and better yet Data-log that Tune Vs. Stock??? I wonder how many cycles the car went through after being flipped back to stock before going to Ford and being denied??? On the older cars a week or two minimum was needed to clear any sign of the Tune in the ECU.....

all you need to do iss turn on every light and let the battery drain because it wipes the drive cycle memory CLEAN, then FORD can say all they want but further more theres no real way of really knowing that there was tampering or not. Whatever you do dont unplug the battery, just drain the sucker and tow that bitch in

SicShelby09

Banned

Well I can only assume that a car with a bad motor had little to NO drive cycles. The op probably blew the motor, parked it and put the stock tune back on. Then maybe drove it straight to the dealer or it was towed. So I guess the moral of the story is, if you blow your motor and put the stock tune back on then drive it for atleast a week even though you are probably doing more damage in the process.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...excessive-motorsport-5-0l-11-78-117-48-a.html

Tune by none other than Chris Mcduff of Excessive Motorsport in Manassas VA, this is the guy who he was tuned by. Also ive heard a few cars he tuned popped the #8. I Talked to a guy at HighEnd-Auto and heard about this car. I told him what to do but he wouldnt listen to me. Oh well thankfully i wouldnt consider this chris guy to tune my car

I had a terrible experience with them tuning my KB Cobra; ran like ****. Took it over to Hermann at HBH and car picked up an additional 50rwhp with less boost, less timing and ran much smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread