Engine CARNAGE...#8... 5L KryPoNITE

davidhuff

Established Member
+1

I will be turning 7000 miles soon, 6000 with the blower on it and the tune is hotter than the Roush tune. Granted I dont beat it to death every day but I do use it. Mine is also a may 2010 build so the 'early build' theory doesnt mean much. Obviously the regular 5.0 can handle more than 30hp, but not by just cranking more timing in and crossing your fingers it appears.
WOW,6000 miles on a Roush Supercharger Kit and a VMP TUNE and your 5.0 motor is still running?Come on guys stop the BS and hire a Professional Tuner like Kevin did if you want to mod your 5.0.I think Kevin is running a mail order tune from VMP TUNING.LOL

Last edited:

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
I wonder how many people having issues are running aggressive 93 tunes? I have a Lund 91 street tune from Lethal and so far no issues. I have been in contact with both Lund and Lethal regarding this just to make sure everyone is aware of it. I specifically asked Jon in an e-mail if the knock sensitivity was altered with his early 5.0 tunes and he didn't answer that question, but he didn't act like he was too concerned about it either.

:shrug:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Roush has no problem Warranting the 2011+ for 3 years/36k Miles with their superchargers(540ish HP). The shortage of FI 5.0 failures points to it being fine for aftermarket power.

That what I've been saying. The internals sure seem fine for alot more power. Maybe there's a weak spot in the #8 piston only, and only in the 413-524 HP range?

*that was sarcasm*

kevinp

Established Member
WOW,6000 miles on a Roush Supercharger Kit and a VMP TUNE and your 5.0 motor is still running?Come on guys stop the BS and hire a Professional Tuner like Kevin did if you want to mod your 5.0.I think Kevin is running a mail order tune from VMP TUNING.LOL

I am still running the VMP tune for the most part, I changed some transmission stuff around more to my liking (I have the PRP software), the timing and a/f is unchanged from what VMP sent me when it ran the 10.83.

I didnt feel like starting from scratch with a blower tune on a stock engine and a PCM/tuning software I wasnt familiar with, I wouldnt recommend that to anyone.

But anyhow the SCT value files for their 93 tune is pretty much adding 5 degrees globally, I'm not saying ALL tuners used the value files but I'm sure some did. Its been discussed a few times already in other threads so I dont want to beat a dead horse about it. FWIW before the blower I also used a 93 BAMA tune and a 93 VMP tune since the car was new, granted I only put about 500 miles on either and didnt really beat it up too bad, just some WOT logging here and there.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

4 posts, now your an expert.

5.0L—PISTON RATTLE IN COLD AMBIENT TSB 11-7-4
TEMPERATURES BELOW 10 DEGREES CELSIUS (50
DEGREES FAHRENHEIT)—BUILT ON OR AFTER
8/17/2010
FORD:
2011 Mustang
ISSUE WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
Some 2011 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L New Vehicle Limited
engine and built on or after 8/17/2010 may exhibit a Warranty Coverage
piston rattle noise in cold ambient temperatures of IMPORTANT: Warranty
10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit) and coverage limits/policies are
below. The noise normally occurs in the 2000-3500 not altered by a TSB.
RPM range and will decrease as engine Warranty coverage limits
temperature warms up. An update of the powertrain are determined by the
control module (PCM) calibration to reduce intensity identified causal part.
and duration of the noise is now available.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
ACTION 110704A 2011 Mustang: Reprogram 0.3 Hr.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using The PCM (Do Not Use
IDS release 73.04 or later. This new calibration is With Any Other Labor
not included in the VCM 2011.5 DVD. Calibration Operations)
files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com. DEALER CODING
CONDITION
NOTE BASIC PART NO. CODE
PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS RECAL 04
VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE
TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH
ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN
THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS
AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE
ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE
COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING
PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY
RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS
AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine
Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available
through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright ã 2011 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date July 1, 2011 PAGE

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
^^Sounds also like someone removed the injectors and took off the o-ring.

That what i dont understand about the internet. I could not fill my car with oil and post it up claiming ford builds junk. People lie. People need to wake up when reading online.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
4 posts, now your an expert.

5.0L—PISTON RATTLE IN COLD AMBIENT TSB 11-7-4
TEMPERATURES BELOW 10 DEGREES CELSIUS (50
DEGREES FAHRENHEIT)—BUILT ON OR AFTER
8/17/2010
FORD:
2011 Mustang
ISSUE WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
Some 2011 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L New Vehicle Limited
engine and built on or after 8/17/2010 may exhibit a Warranty Coverage
piston rattle noise in cold ambient temperatures of IMPORTANT: Warranty
10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit) and coverage limits/policies are
below. The noise normally occurs in the 2000-3500 not altered by a TSB.
RPM range and will decrease as engine Warranty coverage limits
temperature warms up. An update of the powertrain are determined by the
control module (PCM) calibration to reduce intensity identified causal part.
and duration of the noise is now available.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
ACTION 110704A 2011 Mustang: Reprogram 0.3 Hr.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using The PCM (Do Not Use
IDS release 73.04 or later. This new calibration is With Any Other Labor
not included in the VCM 2011.5 DVD. Calibration Operations)
files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com. DEALER CODING
CONDITION
NOTE BASIC PART NO. CODE
PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS RECAL 04
VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE
TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH
ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN
THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS
AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE
ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE
COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING
PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY
RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS
AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine
Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available
through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright ã 2011 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date July 1, 2011 PAGE

Sounds good, never said I was an expert...an intelligent person can take in all information available and come to a sound decision, why so hostile? I believe if this was directed at the video I posted, clearly this vehicle was on highway and warmed up...this video clearly has sounds that are NOT PISTON SLAP...and there is more than this one, and there are plenty more people saying there is some awful noise coming from their new $40K 5.0. There are more problems than just the #8 piston, noise, more noise, and dozens of the six speed manual tranny problems that someone just told me about.

YES anyone getting ready to plop down 40 Grand or sign $700.00 a month in a car note should be made aware, I would not want this nightmare on anyone!!
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IhadvWIX6o"]YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang GT Grinding Gears 1 of 2‬‏[/nomedia]
ENJOY...

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
WOW I hope this guy is lying! I'd hate to think Ford is denying warranties by saying "abused" on a car with 5k miles!! That's low Ford!! Fix your Manufacturing defects! All of you that are going through this need to create a site or something on Facebook and bring as many people as you can... class action suit!!! WOW I will watch this and see what happens, my next car may not be a GT500 after all...
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAXRFtYszng&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪2011 mustang defective tranny‬‏[/nomedia]

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
WOW I hope this guy is lying! I'd hate to think Ford is denying warranties by saying "abused" on a car with 5k miles!! That's low Ford!! Fix your Manufacturing defects! All of you that are going through this need to create a site or something on Facebook and bring as many people as you can... class action suit!!! WOW I will watch this and see what happens, my next car may not be a GT500 after all...
YouTube - ‪2011 mustang defective tranny‬‏

no second gear an ford want warranty it! 5000 miles ford want warranty it!!

Why in the world would I believe anyone with the grammar of a 7 year old.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
no second gear an ford want warranty it! 5000 miles ford want warranty it!!

Why in the world would I believe anyone with the grammar of a 7 year old.

Perhaps because there is not a direct correlation between grammar and integrity?

Not taking sides, just saying that grammar is hardly a legitimate reason to discount someones claims. Although, I do agree to some extent that misspellings and grammar should be limited when trying to gain approval on a web forum. Especially one as vicious as svtp, lol.

kevinp

Established Member
Perhaps because there is not a direct correlation between grammar and integrity?

Not taking sides, just saying that grammar is hardly a legitimate reason to discount someones claims. Although, I do agree to some extent that misspellings and grammar should be limited when trying to gain approval on a web forum. Especially one as vicious as svtp, lol.

And what do you know, you only have 25 posts :rolling:

Seriously though, I feel bad for anyone who comes to any forums with a legit beef that doesnt spell well or has bad grammar. But if you want to make a case its best to present it well..

Bald Menace

Established Member
shadowstang03gt my grammer sucks. half the time im on my cell phone. i could careless.

you are a ****ing dumbass who does nothing but troll the forums and stir up shit. i doubt seriously that you even own a 2011 or 2012 5.0

and for the record.. the proper term is "i couldn't care less" now shut the **** up and go play with your hotwheels!!

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
you are a ****ing dumbass who does nothing but troll the forums and stir up shit. i doubt seriously that you even own a 2011 or 2012 5.0

and for the record.. the proper term is "i couldn't care less" now shut the **** up and go play with your hotwheels!!

:beer: I laughed.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
While it's still easy to make grammatical errors in posts, it should be much harder to misspell things than it used to be. All new browsers spell check as you type. There are not many excuses for posting horribly incorrect spelling anymore, at least from your PC.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

yeah. 4 posts

Users who are viewing this thread