Engine CARNAGE...#8... 5L KryPoNITE

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Chris, how many supercharger kits have y'all sold and how many of them have blown up? What tunes where used if applicable. Thanks man

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i wonder if it could be shitty gas? like going to a cheap gas station where maybe there is more ethanol in the fuel, so its not blended right. Or just tunes right on the edge, an a missed shift/over rev with cheap fuel.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Most of the top tuners in the country, offer mail-order tunes. It's because it's not about whether the tune is mail-order or not, it's about experience with the platform. Any company that is sending out SCT value files, shouldn't be mail-order tuning cars. If they dyno-tuned cars, they'd see that those value files can't be sent out.

2 of the tuners you mentioned had motor failures confirmed. We had 2 motor failures confirmed and we don't use global spark, don't use SCT value files, do command a safe air fuel ratio, do lab test and dyno/street/track test all of our MAF calibrations to ensure accuracy, do use IDS and other OE-type datalogging and data acquisition tools, do error on the side of the safe, do use stock knock sensor sensitivity, are the largest SCT dealer in the world (thousands of 2011's), are SCT certified, and do own/operate a dyno and 9 company Mustangs and many employee Mustangs.

It's still too young in the process of getting this cylinder 8 issue handled to start pointing fingers anywhere. I just thought I'd clear up some of the "toons are doing it" nonsense.

Im sure u are good with tunes. But im sorry, with an almost $40,000 car, i wouldnt take chances.

Graboid

Established Member
Most of the top tuners in the country, offer mail-order tunes. It's because it's not about whether the tune is mail-order or not, it's about experience with the platform. Any company that is sending out SCT value files, shouldn't be mail-order tuning cars. If they dyno-tuned cars, they'd see that those value files can't be sent out.

2 of the tuners you mentioned had motor failures confirmed. We had 2 motor failures confirmed and we don't use global spark, don't use SCT value files, do command a safe air fuel ratio, do lab test and dyno/street/track test all of our MAF calibrations to ensure accuracy, do use IDS and other OE-type datalogging and data acquisition tools, do error on the side of the safe, do use stock knock sensor sensitivity, are the largest SCT dealer in the world (thousands of 2011's), are SCT certified, and do own/operate a dyno and 9 company Mustangs and many employee Mustangs.

It's still too young in the process of getting this cylinder 8 issue handled to start pointing fingers anywhere. I just thought I'd clear up some of the "toons are doing it" nonsense.

On the motors you guys had fail what is going on with getting them fixed? Are you leaning toward your tunes doing the damage or the factory parts being bobo? And if it was the first do you cover the engine repairs and if not why? Trying to get the tuners view points here.

Edit: Not saying you should cover it but just asking. I know if my modified supsension failed I would never here anything out of the systems designer or saler about replacing anything more than what of theirs broke so......

Last edited:

JL-KA

Established Member
If it's a problem with the car I'm sure we'll hear about it soon. It's bound to happen to stock cars. They're less stressful on the engines so it'll take a bit longer. Once a couple dozen let go Ford will do something.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
What's the easiest way to tell if your car has this problem. The OP said the only way he knew is from a rough idle and then you hear a TON of people with rough idles... Would a compression test be pretty absolute?

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
What's the easiest way to tell if your car has this problem. The OP said the only way he knew is from a rough idle and then you hear a TON of people with rough idles... Would a compression test be pretty absolute?

I think most people (two others) had misfire codes on #8 cylinder. However, compression test would be the surest way to check the health if your #8.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Well I'll say this, I've read most of this...and don't know what to think. First if your new motor has blown, sorry to hear that. I would hope Ford would fix those. Second I still love my second '04, so I wasn't planning on buying a GT or GT500 right now...but I still stay on top of what's new.
For what it's worth, when my first '04 Cobra started having problems at 11,000 miles, both having TSB's. One for the front bushings, and the other for the clutch squealing (bearing tube or something can't remember) first thing out of their mouth was "has the car been modified?" After having it for a day, "we found no problems" until I took the service Mgr. for a ride and said, "you don't hear that?" I finally got them taken care of. I was asked 3 times had I modified my car, thankfully it was bone stock.
My take from that? Ford had the replacement parts, knew during production they were bad, knew X amount would be modified and deny warranty. And would only fix those that were stock and the low mileage ones would creep past 3 yrs. and never fixed.

Sorry to say I see the same Game plan here...they know something is wrong, probably didn't fix it, just sent them out...X amount modified-denied, X amount low mileage-creep past 3 years, and only fix bone stock. Unless it truly is a tune doing it, or just speeding up the inevitable? Either way bottom line is they should handle a tune, and if they can't and are that weak and that close to catastrophic failure from stock, I don't want it. Hopefully these are only the early engines...I'd hate to think they're still using these same piston and rings.

I've seen the way Ford handles these things before, they know about it, send it out anyway...and fix the one's they cant deny.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
i wouldnt call the motors weak as there are boosted ones handling it with no problem, putting up some insane track times, and still being daily driven smoothly. This is just what happens when tuners/consumers **** with something they still know little about.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Well I'll say this, I've read most of this...and don't know what to think. First if your new motor has blown, sorry to hear that. I would hope Ford would fix those. Second I still love my second '04, so I wasn't planning on buying a GT or GT500 right now...but I still stay on top of what's new.
For what it's worth, when my first '04 Cobra started having problems at 11,000 miles, both having TSB's. One for the front bushings, and the other for the clutch squealing (bearing tube or something can't remember) first thing out of their mouth was "has the car been modified?" After having it for a day, "we found no problems" until I took the service Mgr. for a ride and said, "you don't hear that?" I finally got them taken care of. I was asked 3 times had I modified my car, thankfully it was bone stock.
My take from that? Ford had the replacement parts, knew during production they were bad, knew X amount would be modified and deny warranty. And would only fix those that were stock and the low mileage ones would creep past 3 yrs. and never fixed.

Sorry to say I see the same Game plan here...they know something is wrong, probably didn't fix it, just sent them out...X amount modified-denied, X amount low mileage-creep past 3 years, and only fix bone stock. Unless it truly is a tune doing it, or just speeding up the inevitable? Either way bottom line is they should handle a tune, and if they can't and are that weak and that close to catastrophic failure from stock, I don't want it. Hopefully these are only the early engines...I'd hate to think they're still using these same piston and rings.

I've seen the way Ford handles these things before, they know about it, send it out anyway...and fix the one's they cant deny.

Do u realize every car company has this policy? Ford just reissued it, since it seems every body and their brother is getting mail order tunes. Which some seem to be bad. Im sure they are sick of the tough guys calling them up and saying they are gonna sue ford. So now the people who cant think for themselves, will get a copy of this TSB. Ford isnt obama, the arent gonna give shit away for free.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i wouldnt call the motors weak as there are boosted ones handling it with no problem, putting up some insane track times, and still being daily driven smoothly. This is just what happens when tuners/consumers **** with something they still know little about.

thank you. I dont know why know one else realizes this.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Do u realize every car company has this policy? Ford just reissued it, since it seems every body and their brother is getting mail order tunes. Which some seem to be bad. Im sure they are sick of the tough guys calling them up and saying they are gonna sue ford. So now the people who cant think for themselves, will get a copy of this TSB. Ford isnt obama, the arent gonna give shit away for free.

Ahhh-That's not what I said...if stock motors are failing too in the #8, which I heard and don't know, and a tune is speeding up a design flaw failure...that is a problem. And again Ford will void a warranty in a heartbeat if they can.

The very fact the Boss has different internals with just a few more horsepower tells me they already knew this...thus all GT's should've got the boss internals once Ford realized 30+ more horsepower could blow a piston/rings...what engineer would think these wouldn't be modded?

*Warning!! Leave your 2011+ 5.0 stang unmodified...enjoy your 412 h.p. because we only put in internals to handle that...if you want 444 h.p. you need to buy a Boss, we upgraded those to handle it."

This needs to be a warning sticker on every GT made.:smmon:

SVTStampede

Established Member
Ahhh-That's not what I said...if stock motors are failing too in the #8, which I heard and don't know, and a tune is speeding up a design flaw failure...that is a problem. And again Ford will void a warranty in a heartbeat if they can.

The very fact the Boss has different internals with just a few more horsepower tells me they already knew this...thus all GT's should've got the boss internals once Ford realized 30+ more horsepower could blow a piston/rings...what engineer would think these wouldn't be modded?

*Warning!! Leave your 2011+ 5.0 stang unmodified...enjoy your 412 h.p. because we only put in internals to handle that...if you want 444 h.p. you need to buy a Boss, we upgraded those to handle it."

Roush has no problem Warranting the 2011+ for 3 years/36k Miles with their superchargers(540ish HP). The shortage of FI 5.0 failures points to it being fine for aftermarket power.

The Boss is much more than a "30 HP package" from Ford. It runs at significantly higher RPM and is setup and tested to be able to run extended high RPM runs on road courses. It was not tested the same as the regular 5.0. All of this is known information that Ford released on the developement of the Boss.

ViciousJay

Established Member

i kinda have to agree on some what of a level here

kevinp

Established Member
Roush has no problem Warranting the 2011+ for 3 years/36k Miles with their superchargers(540ish HP). The shortage of FI 5.0 failures points to it being fine for aftermarket power.

The Boss is much more than a "30 HP package" from Ford. It runs at significantly higher RPM and is setup and tested to be able to run extended high RPM runs on road courses. It was not tested the same as the regular 5.0. All of this is known information that Ford released on the developement of the Boss.

+1

I will be turning 7000 miles soon, 6000 with the blower on it and the tune is hotter than the Roush tune. Granted I dont beat it to death every day but I do use it. Mine is also a may 2010 build so the 'early build' theory doesnt mean much. Obviously the regular 5.0 can handle more than 30hp, but not by just cranking more timing in and crossing your fingers it appears.

ViciousJay

Established Member
+1

I will be turning 7000 miles soon, 6000 with the blower on it and the tune is hotter than the Roush tune. Granted I dont beat it to death every day but I do use it. Mine is also a may 2010 build so the 'early build' theory doesnt mean much. Obviously the regular 5.0 can handle more than 30hp, but not by just cranking more timing in and crossing your fingers it appears.

yea global timing. It could be done in the past like on my old lightning but these cars dont seem to like it or so we see

Last edited:

KenB

Established Member
WOW is all I have to say. Someone may want to check with the guys that actually do the tuning at their company before they state what is in the tunes. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread