Engine build options

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Looking to build the engine in my 2010 GT500 this winter, and there are a LOT of options to pick from on all fronts. l was hoping there'd be some sort of master thread with links to build threads and articles, but my searches havent found such a thing.

With all the options available, what would YOU build for something that is more or less future proof?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
JDM engineering is building my engine, it's almost finished up.
Jim Jr has been great to work with and has answered all my questions. One of the big things that made me go with JDM is they warranty the engine for 12 months and up to 1,200hp, not many builders offer that.
I'm not sure how much a iron 5.4 would cost to build, but 5.8 was about 16,500 to build, I'd imagine it might be a little cheaper.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Thanks for the article Vnmous.

Are I beams worth it to get more RPM out of it, or is it just wasted money on a SC 5.4?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll be shifting at 7,200 with my engine, I'm running the standard Manley H beam rods, what is your power goal? and what supercharger are you going with?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Would love to help OP but you’re not giving us much.
Power goals? Use? Fuel?
What are you looking to build?
My 1100rwhp JDM 5.8 has been money well spent.
-J

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
91 octane is all I have around here. No supercharger picked out at the moment, but looking to VMP. Cams are a must, and already have Billet Pro Shop picked out for those, so some pistons that drop down to around 8.5 - 9:1 are ideal.

Was thinking about keeping the stock crank, but if everything else is rated to 1200 and the stock crank is at 900, I'd rather up it to a Cobra Jet or something similar.

No power goal, but 900 - 1k seems reasonable.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool that helps.
Who will be tuning?
How good is your 91?
Are you willing to run octane booster or race gas to turn it up from time to time?
If so, definitely don’t drop the compression. 9.5/10:1 will be fine and drive off boost better.
The stock cranks are the same as the CJ cranks except some CJs were double keyed (which I’d recommend either way as a small fee during a build).
Your stock crank will be fine at 1000hp.
Great choice on BPS and their cams. They can probably help you spec the build and supply many parts.
Definitely do headers and no need to port the heads but porting/welding the lower intake is a great idea. ‘13-14 intercooler upgrade is also a nice upgrade.
The VMP GEN2R or 3R will both make big power but I’d recommend the 3R due to pump gas (less heat for same power).
Go big on the intake and exhaust to maximize the combo but a lot depends on your goals.
-J

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Lund ideally, but I live in Montana and dont have any reputable tuners I trust, so it'll have to be digital.

IDK, its 91. It doesnt knock in anything I've ever needed to put it in.

Just want pump gas, nothing else.

Good to hear on crank, that will save money.

Car has Kooks longtubes, high flow catted x pipe and 3 inch all the way back.

Is the stock block worth it, or is something from DSS worth looking into? Looking into the DSS level 10 block.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
You will be lucky to make 800whp on 91. Get meth. Personally I would run stock CR if you are sticking to 91.

Do you have any build advice to offer, or are you just going to stick with non-helpful posts that involve electric vehicles and gate keeping the fact that I only have 91 pump gas up here?

I want my rotating assembly to be able to handle a decent amount of horsepower without spending $5k on a billet crank. How I eventually get to that HP is not the topic.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have any build advice to offer

Get meth and stick to factory CR.

Because:

fact that I only have 91 pump gas up here?

You are fuel limited as long as you stick to 91. It is a lot easier to swap a pulley than it is a piston. 8.6:1 is fine. This is what the 5.4 CJs ran FWIW.

Also, I would stick to a smaller blower. A gen3 or 3.xx KB is going to be lazy at the boost levels that you will be required to run given that you are sticking to 91. A ported TVS/Gen IIr/Whipple V 3.0 will be fine and will hit much harder down low.

I ran both a gen IIr and a Gen III on pump gas and the Gen II was better for the application. Those setups tapped out at 680 whp and 660 whp on 91 w/ FBO to give you an idea. You will get a bit more from cams but not much.

I beams are not necessary for your application. H beams are fine.

Get a Big Un IC.

ID 1050s are probably fine although 1300 will give you room if you ever switch to E. You do not need return fuel system is you are sticking with pump. Do it if you are switching to E.

Switch to terminator timing gear.

LOL you do not need a billet crank. Stock is fine. Get it keyed.

McLeod twin disk while you are at it.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Car is getting pistons regardless. Do I stick to factory CR before cams are factored in, or try and maintain factory CR including the cams?

Cannot switch to E. Do not have it here. 91 is my ONLY option without getting fuel shipped in or having to blend. I want something that can be filled up at the pump, so for the last time, it has to be 91.

H beams it is I guess. More RPM is interesting, but I guess we will save that for the wife's 5.0 build.

Car has McLeod twin disk. This is an engine discussion. I do not know why that is hard for you.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
RPM actually helps from a detonation perspective when your octane limited. Most risk of detonation is at peak torque.
I’d actually recommend contacting Lund and BJ @VNMOUS1 for a build plan as both would be my recommendations for a remote tune.
Last, if you don’t drive it daily, you might want to consider buying a case of octane additive (like VP Racing Octanium VP Octane Booster - Octanium® - Off-Road Racing | VP Racing Fuels) for every fill up.
I only say that because it can help you make significantly more power, safer and also treat the fuel/fuel system if it’s only driven rarely.
A cammed built 800rwhp GT500 is a blast so it’s worth stressing the details now.
-J

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Cams will drop your dynamic compression ratio. I'd put a little more compression in it, at least 9.0:1.

Users who are viewing this thread