Engine Bay Heat, What's the product fix?

sono

Established Member
So I have a dual fan heat exchanger, but my engine bay is still so damn hot. It actually causes heat expansion in certain components. This seems like crazy heat. Coated headers, custom vents for the hood, upgraded radiator. Is their an upgrade to remove or minimize this heat?
I know it impacts the throttle body and the CAI feels hot as hell.

nxhappy

Established Member
I did that "free" mod.....it works great. You can see the heat escaping.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Seems that the evidence overwhelmingly supports this works. Question I have is will the original heat extractor vent still work as well?

In any event, the weather strip is off as soon as I get home

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I looked under the hood, and I was kind of shocked there is NO heat shielding on the factory manifolds. There should be something covering those manifolds.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
So our hood vent is only good at high speeds i guess? I saw a Hellcat parked and went over to check the hood vent heat extraction and while parked the heat was coming out as though it had a small fan pushing the heat out.

Last edited:

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
How does that work if you get caught in a rain storm? Will rain get into any of the electronics under the hood with the weather strip gone?

See #3

I was one of the first to open track a GT500 as many of you know. I experienced heat soak and attacked the problem. That was the beginning of Revan Racing.

I spoke with a Ford Racing employee, now employed elsewhere, about this very subject. I removed the weather stripping and open tracked the car with and without. Now open tracking is a lot more heat and abuse. With that said the removal of the weather strip does help to remove engine bay heat which decreased IAT1 which subsequently decreased IAT2 modestly. However the car was still heat soaked and that's when I got started with the radiator and the heat exchanger most of you all know today.

The weather stripping does allow for cooler operating temperatures on the street and track.

Down sides to removal:

1. If you wash your or your car is exposed to rain, water will get into the engine bay. For those that are complete neat freaks about an engine bay this will represent a problem.

2. If you wash your car or it is exposed to rain even a heavy down pour you can and will accumulate water in the valley of the motor. It runs down the back of the motor and collects in the valley underneath the intercooler pan. Then you freak out when you pull into the garage and there is water under your car because it sloshes around and it is dry out. You will think your radiator is broken

3. If you wash your car or it is exposed to rain and you have not adequately and properly secured your coil pack covers and gotten the gasket placed correctly in the back by the fire wall your rear coil packs can and will fill up with water. I've seen it a lot. This can cause a CEL and spark plug failure and detonation. FYI. Super Snakes have aftermarket hoods with no weather strip. I've worked on quite a few Super Snakes with water in the rear coil packs. Even from just giving the car a wash.

In short, if you're going to open track the car or your car never gets wet, go for it. I would only suggest this modification if you plan to open track the car or participate in something that creates excessive engine bay heat.

Yes, when I changed my spark plugs it appeared that water had run down the harness and under the coil cover on each side at the rear. I also noticed that when SA installed the different spark plugs for my KB upgrade, the seal for the coil covers had not been properly seated in the channel/groove at the rear of each cover, allowing water to get under the cover more easily.
R

But in all fairness someone disagreed with them.

fullboogie

Established Member
Geez guys, take a look at the weatherstrip location. You'd have to get 3" of water in the wiper area for any of it to get into the engine bay. If you've got that much water at the base of your windshield, you've got bigger problems.

einehund

Established Member
I just pressure washed the Shelby this weekend and there was ZERO water anywhere on the engine/intake/coil covers. I'll be paypal-ing full boogie $0.99 tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread