Engine bay cleaning tips?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I typically just wipe down under the hood but I can only get it so clean w/ a rag, does anybody have any tips for cleaning the engine? I'm paranoid about spraying too much water w/ all the wiring, I've heard to lightly mist w/ the engine running paying attention to keep water away from the intake and alternator?

Ablaze

Established Member
Would love to know this as well. I've read and gotten different opinions all over the place.. some talking about using foil or plastic to cover sensitive parts.. others saying it doesn't matter with a light spraying from a hose.. etc.

Imatk

Established Member
I clean my engine usually once every two weeks at least and I daily drive my car.

I use soap and water and a rag and clean all the things I can get my hands around.

After I dry it and then apply Aerospace 303 to all the plastics and rubber (you can use probably any rubber/vinyl protectant... armor all whatever) and then I use a detail spray on all the metals.

Every once in a while I'll take a can of air like you would get for your computer and blow it out under the fuel rails to get any leaves or stuff that may have gotten up under there. I'd use a compressor if I had one... but I don't so I make do :)

There are youtube vids showing how to use a hose under the hood. I've never done that just because I don't want to screw up any electrical stuff... but plenty of people use that method too.

Here's a shot of my old car... it had over 50k miles on it before I took this.

PennyBridge_NW4.jpg

If you keep it clean like that it's fairly easy to maintain.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm super OCD about my engine bay, the best advice i can give and also what I do is every time you wash your car, pop the hood and use the water that got into the engine bay to wipe everything down, if you do this every car wash you engine bay will always be clean, I promise. I have 11k on my car and you could eat off the engine, if I need to hit up any other spots in the engine area that didn't get wet I just use a little detail spray with a microfiber.

railroad

Established Member
This may be better after the soap and or water, but Honda makes a spray can of Clean and Shine or something like that.
It is safe on paint, chrome, rubber, plastic etc, everything on a motorcycle. It does not leave a film or sticky coating. It will leave the plastic and rubber looking better. I spray it under the hood and wipe it down.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I'm super OCD about my engine bay, the best advice i can give and also what I do is every time you wash your car, pop the hood and use the water that got into the engine bay to wipe everything down, if you do this every car wash you engine bay will always be clean, I promise. I have 11k on my car and you could eat off the engine, if I need to hit up any other spots in the engine area that didn't get wet I just use a little detail spray with a microfiber.

This is what I've been doing , all the plastic and painted areas are clean but the blower and valve covers are a little tougher to get clean because of the textured finish and crevices.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
+1 to all of this, but I also wash it with water (similarly to this) about once per year. I've never had any problems doing so.

Ablaze

Established Member
Sorry if I missed it but what about the filter for the cai? Can I just wipe that down too or should I be afraid of it getting wet?

HighVelocity

Established Member
Microfiber and mothers instant detailer. Sometime a little Mothers VLR. I wipe the engine bay down at the end of every weekend that I drive it. Looks better than the day I picked it up.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Sorry if I missed it but what about the filter for the cai? Can I just wipe that down too or should I be afraid of it getting wet?

The filter can get wet since they're rechargeable you just don't want water getting in there when the car is running

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I wipe down my engine bay every time I wash the car. For some reason I get a lot of sand on everything. I really want to wash the top of my engine out with water but with all the wires and connectors up there I haven't done it yet. This engine isn't like my old mustang where I knew exactly what couldn't get wet. Back in the day a couple cans of Gunk and the engine was picnic ready. This is the sand that drives me batty :cuss:-
20150501_071642_zps7pqgeztr.jpg

Anyone who has actually sprayed water onto the top of the engine into the fuel rail area? What specific areas should we avoid getting wet? Side note: I really should get some sweet fuel rails.

Imatk

Established Member
I wipe down my engine bay every time I wash the car. For some reason I get a lot of sand on everything. I really want to wash the top of my engine out with water but with all the wires and connectors up there I haven't done it yet. This engine isn't like my old mustang where I knew exactly what couldn't get wet. Back in the day a couple cans of Gunk and the engine was picnic ready. This is the sand that drives me batty :cuss:-

Anyone who has actually sprayed water onto the top of the engine into the fuel rail area? What specific areas should we avoid getting wet? Side note: I really should get some sweet fuel rails.

This is the exact spot that I use my air can on :)

Just go to Best Buy or Radio Shack or whatever and get some of that compressed air for computers. Blows that stuff right out.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member

yesterday when I washed I sprayed everything except the intake area w/ the car running and had no issues. I get sand in the same area and it drives me crazy.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Try to do this in the morning when car is cold, spray some wheels cleaner, wait 5minn, rinse it off, dry engine bay and then use a silicone based lubricant. Have done this for years with no issues.

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
Everything under the hood is engineered to get wet. Use a hose with soap and water and avoid direct spray on the air filter, ecu and fuse box. Then hit it with an air hose and it will look like new. Don't forget the air hose or you will have water spots.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Revisiting this thread- Just got done washing out my engine. I used Purple Power at about 3 parts water to one part product. I was trying to error on the side of caution. It got it considerably cleaner, I even used my wheel brush where I could but some of the cracks and crevasses are still looking a little dirty. I'm thinking of using the purple power full strength but of course I'm not trying to **** shit up. I'm about to get all up in there with a tooth brush. Here's the question: What is the most 'aggressive' cleaner you've used in your engine bay without detrimental results?

Today's results, I'll be doing this again very soon. I thought the engine was fairly clean and that a light brushing would get the job done. I'll make a better effort soon. -
20150512_134045_zps3xgkg4ld.jpg

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Revisiting this thread- Just got done washing out my engine. I used Purple Power at about 3 parts water to one part product. I was trying to error on the side of caution. It got it considerably cleaner, I even used my wheel brush where I could but some of the cracks and crevasses are still looking a little dirty. I'm thinking of using the purple power full strength but of course I'm not trying to **** shit up. I'm about to get all up in there with a tooth brush. Here's the question: What is the most 'aggressive' cleaner you've used in your engine bay without detrimental results?

Today's results, I'll be doing this again very soon. I thought the engine was fairly clean and that a light brushing would get the job done. I'll make a better effort soon. -
20150512_134045_zps3xgkg4ld.jpg

That looks really good, when I had my TVS off I cleaned up my rails, I'm sure a tooth brush will definitely help cleaning is those small areas.

Users who are viewing this thread