Endless CAI debate question....

TrackpackGT

Established Member
So I called two of the local Mustang shops and both recommended and carry the JLT. I know a ton of members here swear by the Airaid. Is there any proven difference between them? They also charge $350 for a tune.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
I hear the 101mm Steeda Intake is the best with a tune. It also has the grill duct that allows for it to draw in incoming air like the stock airbox.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Haven't seen that one yet. They do claim they ran 11.90's @ 115 with their CAI on an otherwise "stock" Mustang.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
That's a very specific set up and obviously well tested and thought out. I guess I could go with the larger TB and an open style grille to allow the factory "ram air" box to function. I'm also looking for improvement in daily driving, not just full out WOT slick launching banging gears driving.

4VFTW

Established Member
well a proven difference between the Airaid and JLT is the quality of the design...Airaid wins hands down

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Did a bunch of reading old threads and it also seems an 85mm tb is a waste. Maybe the intake needs porting to make use of it.
I'm thinking something I believe I had planned earlier, open style grille, Airaid intake tube, already have AFE filter, and a tune. The Boss intake is on my radar, so I want to make sure whatever I get works well with it.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i have the steeda cai and its a nice piece right down to the bolts that come with it.its not some cheap plastic either.i can see the outline of the rubber seal on my hood insulater so know its getting cool air too.

agony

Established Member
There is not going to be much difference between any of the CAIs. Find the one that looks the best imo. I have the Steeda and it is a really nice piece. I was also able to easily mod it for use with my V3 blower afterwards.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Just remember that salesmen sell products for a living. And remember that an engine is a big ass air pump. An intake the size of a whale isn't going to matter if it all goes in the same baseball sized TB. A larger TB with a bigger intake tube, breathing through a better flowing exhaust will give a little more performance. The only way to make it work any better or harder is the force feed it from a blower. Each addon has it's benefits, and most all will work better when combined at one time to function as a whole. A great deal of those ads you see claiming stupid HP increases fail to mention that the increase is seen on a "highly" modified setup. A CAI alone rarely ever nets any notable gain.

sono

Established Member
Been through 3 CAI on my car and here is what I noticed.

1. One was to short and popped off all the time. It's more common than you think.
2. One was difficult to tune because it varied in size throughout the tube.
3. Most are made out of rigid materials that don't block heat, nor do they handle engine movement very well.

Ford knew what they were doing when they made the original intake rubber and fairly well insulated.

IMO JLT seems like the brand that gets most things right, however I still think aftermarket companies should have stuck to heavy duty rubber and focused more on insulating properties to control expansion.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
So the consensus is stick with the stock airbox?

My car is bone stock except for Roush A/B's but was just about to place an order for a Offroad X, JLT CAI, X4 Tuner, DSS Driveshaft.

The $250 difference between the tuner and the tuner + CAI combo is negligible, but I don't want to waste money either...what do you guys think?

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I'm getting a S550, so things changed a little :rockon: I'm thinking the tune is the way to go with the new one. Haven't looked into what the intake set up is like.

Users who are viewing this thread