Emissions sensors not ready

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Edit: 2004 Cobra tuned with an x4.

The local shop that I had tune my car when I bought it gave me an emissions tune. I failed emissions for Catalyst and EGR flow sensors not ready and inquired with him about the emissions sensors actually being turned on. He said they were and said sometimes it takes 500 miles. I drove it a bunch and went for a retest after the 500 miles. Both sensors still not ready. Check with the tuner again, this time he tells me they may never go ready. Is this a real possibility? I have over 700 miles on the emissions tune and 2 dozen cold start cycles. I gotta get this thing to pass. Ideas? Possible solutions?

TIA.

MG0h3

Established Member
Can’t remember the parameters but it’s something like fuel over 2/3rds, XX distance on the freeway between xx speeds. Google should bring it up for you.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Can’t remember the parameters but it’s something like fuel over 2/3rds, XX distance on the freeway between xx speeds. Google should bring it up for you.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I should have added that I found the drive cycle info from Ford and have done the cycle for EGR multiple times. Still won't go ready.

EGR 8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times.

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
If it's going to go ready, it'll go in less than 100 miles. I guarantee it. If it's not ready, it' won't ever be. I've been through all this before. You're best bet is find a cobra friendly shop.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I had similar issues with my Roush. I went to two different tuners. One seemed to know his stuff, but he told me to do same shit as you "just keep driving". Hah! What a load of crap that turned out to be. The second tuner was also worthless.

Then I found Pete at Performance Dyno in New Hampshire and he fixed me right up, no sweat.

As stated by 'choate' above, find yourself a tuner that's familiar with your car and issues. I strongly suspect those monitors are turned off in the tune. But bottom line is: a good tuner will fix you up. If no joy, then call Pete at Performance Dyno (look him up). He does troubleshooting by email and phone, so he might be able to help you.

And since you are likely now in 'panic mode', I recommend you purchase a small OBD reader that will show the ready status of the monitors. Harbor Freight has one for ~$50. That way you can get your new tune, and just do one or two drive cycles, and check to see if monitors are ready, then you know your monitors are all set BEFORE you go to get tested.

Good luck! Lots of us have been there.

And finally just noticed.... it's an old post, arghhhhhh. LOL

Last edited:

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I had similar issues with my Roush. I went to two different tuners. One seemed to know his stuff, but he told me to do same shit as you "just keep driving". Hah! What a load of crap that turned out to be. The second tuner was also worthless.

Then I found Pete at Performance Dyno in New Hampshire and he fixed me right up, no sweat.

As stated by 'choate' above, find yourself a tuner that's familiar with your car and issues. I strongly suspect those monitors are turned off in the tune. But bottom line is: a good tuner will fix you up. If no joy, then call Pete at Performance Dyno (look him up). He does troubleshooting by email and phone, so he might be able to help you.

And since you are likely now in 'panic mode', I recommend you purchase a small OBD reader that will show the ready status of the monitors. Harbor Freight has one for ~$50. That way you can get your new tune, and just do one or two drive cycles, and check to see if monitors are ready, then you know your monitors are all set BEFORE you go to get tested.

Good luck! Lots of us have been there.

And finally just noticed.... it's an old post, arghhhhhh. LOL

No worries, as I am still fighting to get them to go ready. Just my luck that as I'm working through the drive cycles that my alt takes a shit and I have to unhook the battery to work on it, erasing all my driving data. Then after the alt replacement, pulley alignment issues. Finally got those worked out today, so I'll get back to figuring out emissions.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

decipha

Established Member
if you have an editable tune file shoot it over to me and i'll take a look, only takes a second to see if they turned off the monitors

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I saw somewhere on here that it's harder to get some monitors to set with an aftermarket MAF. How true that is I don't know.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the car needs to be re-tuned, IIRC?
I think there were a couple of threads about it on this site this past year.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I saw somewhere on here that it's harder to get some monitors to set with an aftermarket MAF. How true that is I don't know.

I have read that as well, and am seeing issues for the first time with monitors going ready since upgrading to a SCT MAF.

I requested a tune for the stock MAF but current fuel system (I'd have to swap that airbox and tune) to drive around and see it will set that way, but I haven't had time to experiment yet. That tune is on my handheld though.

decipha

Established Member
if you have a moates quarterhorse you can read your custom tune out and see if the monitors are enabled, if not you can enable them

the custom tuning software for the 03/04 cobra is free

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
No. I had to shift my focus elsewhere so the car has just been sitting. Getting close to the end of our nice weather season so I'm debating on just waiting until spring again.

Users who are viewing this thread