Emergency brake spring question....

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Too make a VERY long story short I need to put back on the rear parking brake springs on the back calipers. What is the best way to compress them so I can screw in the bolt holder for the spring and then uncompress it? Is there a special tool for this?

Thanks.

logan_yomtov

Established Member
i did this about 2 months ago. WHAT A PITA! Anyway, i ended up bringing the caliper and the spring over to my local dealership and they did it for me free of charge. The tech told me it took a vice, 2 guys, and needlenose vice grips to get it back on.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
take the spring to a vice, get some safety or lockwire, compress the spring then tie the 2 ends together with the wire.

You can then finetune how it fits on the bolt with vice grips.

I just had mine off on accident, and didnt know how, until I used the vice. No need for caliper removal.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
broke7 said:
take the spring to a vice, get some safety or lockwire, compress the spring then tie the 2 ends together with the wire.

You can then finetune how it fits on the bolt with vice grips.

I just had mine off on accident, and didnt know how, until I used the vice. No need for caliper removal.

I'm doing the rear brakes on my car and I've been messing with the spring for a couple hours. I tried using channel locks, vice grips, a pipe wrench, etc. None of these worked so I figured I would use the vice to compress the spring . Unfortunately, I only have nylon ties at home and no ride to get the wire ones. I double tied the spring and released the vice. Sproing! One of the ties broke. :eek: The other one held but I am traumatized and have decided to wait until tomorrow to get some wire ties.

Putting the e-brake cables directly behind the caliper bolts is another great idea from Ford. :rollseyes :bash:

EDIT-I'm an idiot. Left the spring on the other side and the install was MUCH easier. Learn from my mistake and just take the E-brake cable off by compressing the spring with a screwdriver enough to free the cable. Do NOT take the spring off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread