Eliminating Heat Soak on a Supercharged V8: 2 Essential GT500 Mods

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
So I recently took a drive over to VMP Performance with my 2014 GT500. Recently I have been having major heat soak issues now that we are in the thick of Florida summer heat. I have been experiencing high coolant temps while in traffic and very high IAT2 downstream temps.

During a 90-100 degree day in traffic my coolant temp was rising as high as 216-220 degree F before cycling back down to about 205-210. Personally this is much hotter than I would like the car. The downstream air temp would also be in the 150 degrees at the same time and lower down to 140 when starting to move again.

I decided to install the VMP Dual Fan Triple Pass Heat exchanger to battle the heat in traffic and eventually at the track. I also went with a Reische 170 Degree Thermostat in order to keep the coolant temp much lower. (stock thermostat 192 degrees).

I have a video showing the install process and some tech info on the two upgrades featuring Justin Starkey of VMP Performance. The video has some length and its not for everyone but if you were interested in the results skip to 26:23 time stamp to see real data on a 93 degree day in traffic. I was seeing 10 degrees over intake air temp for IAT2 (118 Degrees IAT2) and 180 degrees coolant temp which is a major improvement over the stock parts in similar conditions.

I chose to go with these two mods to start because of the issues I was having in traffic. An Ice tank is a great upgrade for the track but I wasn't ready to make that leap and this setup is so simple with the plug and play harness and the fans pull quite a bit of air to cool down the car while sitting in traffic.

VMP also updated my Tune for the 170 degree T stat in order to change the fan schedule.

07-12 GT500 + 5.0L SC VMP Triple Pass H.E: VMP Dual Fan Triple Pass Heat Exchanger for Mustang 05-18: GT500, 5.0L GT

RBB

Established Member
The fans really only help when the car is stationary....once you're moving they don't do jack. I've even seen some info lately that makes me think they actually contribute to higher IAT2s once moving. That said, they're nice to have at the drag strip.

merkyworks

Established Member
I wonder if more cooling efficiency could be gained by ducting the lower grille center section and sealing all around the HE, so any incoming air has to go through the HE.

nxhappy

Established Member
helps a ton for sure. You can also do a shot of meth ....cools IATS wayyyyy down

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
He also drag races. The fans and a rear ice tank give crazy low IAT2s for me.
I understand the no fan argument but for street and strip, they’re nice to have.
BTW I cut off my front bumper, used a custom tubular bar to relocate and have a custom shroud with 2 fans.
When’s the car going on E85 Andrew?
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I did a switch to control fan operation on my VMP HE, up here in Toronto temps don't get hot enough even in summer (we do get some hot humid days) to justify running the fans on the HE constantly (especially if you are cruising on the highway, fans don't need to be on for that).

At the track or heavy stop & go traffic on really hot days then the switch is on to run the fans...……...will be heading to the AM car show in June and I'm sure the fans will be turned on down in that part of the US during the humid heat of summer in that area.

Tony

Last edited:

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
So a little update! Had the car on the dyno in 93 degrees heat and IAT2 started at 109 degrees and ended at 120 degrees and when we made a second pull the car was down at 110. The Heat exchanger made a huge difference when tuning on the dyno.

Beercules

Established Member
Get in touch with j2 fabrication. Or at least add that super high end intercooler pump. Turns out turbulence increases heat transfer. To increase turbulence, increase flow. Redirect Notice

Beercules

Established Member
helps a ton for sure. You can also do a shot of meth ....cools IATS wayyyyy down

Nxhappy, where do you inject meth? I've been too lazy so far to pull the intake again and inject there like another member suggests (don't remember the name right now. And I haven't had the money to get the good pump from my post above.

If you do inject under the intake, can you post pictures or suggestions?
Thanks

Willie

Established Member
The fans and a rear ice tank give crazy low IAT2s for me... ....and have a custom shroud with 2 fans.

Rear tank and custom shroud here too, but I assume my system is different than yours. My rear system does not use an HE, only the front. I use my rear system only at the track with methanol, so my IAT2s are also crazy low. The systems are switched with one switch, far right in pic.

Upper Console Switches.JPG

I understand the no fan argument but for street and strip, they’re nice to have.

Just turn the HE fans off at speed.... street and strip. I have mine turn off at 40 mph. This can be done through the tune and a little creative wiring.

....I've been too lazy so far to pull the intake again and inject there like another member suggests (don't remember the name right now).

Probably me.

If you do inject under the intake, can you post pictures or suggestions?
Thanks

Four nozzles, one at each corner of the lower intake plate. A lot of work to get down there. A fifth nozzle at the blower entry. Works pretty good and well worth the effort, lol...

Willie

Established Member
I wonder if more cooling efficiency could be gained by ducting the lower grille center section and sealing all around the HE, so any incoming air has to go through the HE.

I've done this, but results are up for discussion as I really don't know if this helps or not. But there is an issue doing this. I do not know if the following is true for you guys with '13-'14s, but my '08 has pre-drilled holes within the webbing in the lower splitter just in front of the H.E. I assume these holes are for drainage. Sealing around the H.E. would be counterproductive as you would also need to fill these holes to have a completely sealed area. I have come up with a solution to this, which is a throttle position controlled actuator that opens what I call my airfoil. Basically a flap that opens below the splitter forcing air up through the holes.

This is a pic of it in the down position >>

Airfoil Down.jpg

Willie

Stangra

Established Member
Sure it will, and while you're ducting more air through the HE don't forget to give it an easy exit (hood vents) too.

Beercules

Established Member
Rear tank and custom shroud here too, but I assume my system is different than yours. My rear system does not use an HE, only the front. I use my rear system only at the track with methanol, so my IAT2s are also crazy low. The systems are switched with one switch, far right in pic.

View attachment 1576880

Just turn the HE fans off at speed.... street and strip. I have mine turn off at 40 mph. This can be done through the tune and a little creative wiring.

Probably me.

Four nozzles, one at each corner of the lower intake plate. A lot of work to get down there. A fifth nozzle at the blower entry. Works pretty good and well worth the effort, lol...

Yup, it was you. Putting the egr back on helped a bit. I guess my biggest worry is how far in do you put the nozzles? If too far, wouldn't that interfere with the air flow?

Willie

Established Member
I've seen different style nozzles, all from different manufacturers. So once you choose who's system to go with, you kind of have to go with their nozzles, whatever they look like. Regardless, they typically do not protrude much. I would not worry about it.

Willie

Beercules

Established Member
Do you think if I move the nozzles inboard by 1 cylinder using high clearance holders (don't remember who I got them from) I'll have interference issues with the block?

I've seen different style nozzles, all from different manufacturers. So once you choose who's system to go with, you kind of have to go with their nozzles, whatever they look like. Regardless, they typically do not protrude much. I would not worry about it.

Willie

merkyworks

Established Member
No kit that I know of. I was just going to fabricate the parts needed to make this happen.

Users who are viewing this thread