Eliminating Hard Shifting

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I'm tired of not being able to shift efficiently so it's time to do some adjustments. After careful research, it seems like Steeda Quick Release Quadrant, Fiore "Micro-Click" Firewall Adjuster and LDC Freeplay Mod are the poisions of choice.

My questions are: Will this eliminate, or at least appreciably reduce, the shift blockage currently experienced - even with a stock clutch (34,000 mi)? Is the LDC FP Mod necessary on stock clutch? Finally, is a more stout cable/new cable required with these three add-ons?

Thanks in advance.

mu22stang

Established Member
Should've mention, MGW Orange was my first mod.

Jmproductions, I have read through your thread a few times, and I'm not sure which route I want to go. Obviously, the mod in your write-up will be essentially free and yield the same results, but since an aftermarket clutch may be in my future, I'm covering all my basis.

mu22stang

Established Member
Good deal, I just may do this instead. I appreciate the shove in the right direction.

mu22stang

Established Member
I've been thinking about this a lot - Is there any explanation and/or justification, from an engineering standpoint, that this blockage occurs. Other than input shaft, I'm not sure which differences from non-Cobra spec T56s would make our transmission "weaker", but it does raise questions in my mind. The obvious one to me: Is this block there to eliminate negative effects from power-shifting in a drivetrain with very loose tolerances (can we say clunk)?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there any explanation and/or justification, from an engineering standpoint, that this blockage occurs.
It's not blockage, the clutch is not being disengaged enough when you shift. I think what happens is the fingers on the stock PP start to warp outward putting pressure on the TOB over time, possibly because of a swelling clutch disc. Since the stock adjuster is automatically setup to allow only a specific amount of tension on the cable, the self adjuster releases cable tension which eventually results in the not enough movement from the TOB to disengage under quick WOT shifts.

mu22stang

Established Member
Modification complete! One question: This is the closest I could find in the How-To thread to the answer I'm looking for, but I need more info concerning the "auto-adjust"...

Yes that is the problem, the auto-adjuster does not keep enough tension on the cable once the clutch ages and/or the cable stretches over time; that is the whole point of this mod!

Does this still function as before? Before the mod, my "auto-adjust" didn't click, it just provided resistance, jumped up about a 1/2 a centimeter, and then it was reset. How will this function with the mod in place? Will it modify the tension and engagement point?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Does this still function as before? Before the mod, my "auto-adjust" didn't click, it just provided resistance
Are you talking about when you pull up on the clutch pedal? The auto adjuster can take tension out of the cable anytime the clutch pedal is released quickly also. After you've done the mod the adjuster can no longer change the cable setting.

mu22stang

Established Member
Yes, I am. I suppose the removed rectangular section is what the "release-tensioner" butted up against when pulling on the pedal/quickly releasing a depressed pedal - removing this function is the whole point of the mod I guess, and I'm an idiot. Thanks for the info, I appreciate your help and the write-up.

Last edited:

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
If one of you could re-confirm or elaborate for me - I'm on my 3rd Cobra, but this is my first Term (or 6 speed for that matter). I'm really having a hard time with 1st and 2nd gear lately - I'm at 22k miles and car is bone stock minus catback. I had an MGW on my previous Cobra and loved it - but it seems that clutch cable write-up may solve my issue. I really don't know why it just feels like 1 and 2 but it's noticeably worse for them over the other gears.

jmproductions - thanks for the write-up, I'll have to look at it in a couple days and take care of it next week. I'm guessing after that and an MGW, it should feel smoother.

mu22stang

Established Member
You say you are having trouble getting into 1st? I'm not sure about that, I've never really had a problem. Of course, you can't be a pansy with this transmission. Not saying you are, but these tranny's require a strong arm and a light foot, so it may just be something you have to get used to. I usually wait a second after depressing the clutch before I even slip the gear lever into first, and I do it slowly. I have been doing this since I found it stops the shift clunk (yet another nuance of our cars), so that maybe your issue. I would highly recommend jmp's write-up though, it helped with low and high rpm shifts.

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
You say you are having trouble getting into 1st? I'm not sure about that, I've never really had a problem. Of course, you can't be a pansy with this transmission. Not saying you are, but these tranny's require a strong arm and a light foot, so it may just be something you have to get used to. I usually wait a second after depressing the clutch before I even slip the gear lever into first, and I do it slowly. I have been doing this since I found it stops the shift clunk (yet another nuance of our cars), so that maybe your issue. I would highly recommend jmp's write-up though, it helped with low and high rpm shifts.

Ya, I was wondering about the clunk as well. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread