Electronic nerds lend me your brains!

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
Im looking to build an Ipod dock specifically for my car. Ive been looking at the ones at places like Best Buy and Circuit City and they are 200 plus bucks. I found a guy that sells the little connectors to plug into the bottom of the IPods and found pin out instructions for it also. The diagrams can be found here. I want to connect the power from the car to pinouts 19 for the positive and 29 for the ground so the IPod will charge while its in the dock and run wires to pinouts 3, 4, 5, and 6 and connect it to a set of rca audio out connections. Now for the difficult problem Im having. I know this configuration will work (or at least Im 99.99% sure) what size fuse should I put on this device to make sure just incase the power surges I wont blow up my IPod. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Im going to actually make a fibergass or plastic (havent decided which) docking bay for the electrical and everything to go in and make it connect right next to the ac controls (similar to the tach adapters you see for the mustangs). I think it would be nice to just jump in the Mustang slide the ipod into the cradle put the radio on aux and enjoy some good music. If all goes well I may try to sell it if anyone is interested.

rust0r

Established Member
wouldn't one of those cassette adapters work like the old cd walkmans use to use? i dont have an Ipod or else i would have tried it before?

BK24

Copter Doctor
Established Member
Use one of the tuner deals that broadcast over the radio on oddball frequencies. Thats what i use.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
[QOUTE=rust0r]wouldn't one of those cassette adapters work like the old cd walkmans use to use? i dont have an Ipod or else i would have tried it before?[/QUOTE]
I have a CD player without a tape player and they dont work that well.

BK24 said:
Use one of the tuner deals that broadcast over the radio on oddball frequencies. Thats what i use.
I tried one of those too. Its horribly staticy and the sound quality sucks ass. With the pinouts on the bottom of the actual IPod you get a better quality signal. Its the same system that the Bose audio system and Logitec higher end products use for the IPod. Plus I want a good looking place for it where its not moving all over the car when Im driving. Ive put it in the cup holder and it slides around everywhere.

as a side not I noticed the IPod pulls .62 amps when its charging would I then use a 1 amp inline fuse?

theraapster

Established Member
I would think a 1 amp fuse would be good, but when you say charging is that playing and charging, or just idle charging? BTW I am no electronic expert, sooo... take what I say with a grain of salt.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
it would be playing while charging or just charging it would work either way. similar if you had it just plugged into an IPod car charger. Now reading a little further it sais on the back of the IPod 1 amp max. Does a fuse rated at 1 amp blow at 1 amp or does it take something more than an amp to blow? Do they make a .75 amp fuse?

theraapster

Established Member
Sorry, I don't know the answer to either. However, if you do get this figured out, a little bit down the road (after I get a new head unit) I would definitely be interested in one, so keep us updated on how you do.

Users who are viewing this thread