Electrical guys - please advise

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
My parent's new house has too big of a shower and you freeze your ass off in there, they have a can light directly above the shower and want to install a heat lamp.

Is anything special required for this? As far as I know it's a standard can fixture and it has an LED. 120v on it's own switch, not it's own breaker but I think heat bulbs only pull 2a so it should be fine for that I would imagine.

I just want to make sure they don't need an insulated can or anything special.

Thank you.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Just use a sealed bulb that's rated to be used in wet areas.

Beavis281

Established Member
I used to put units in rentals that had a light, vent, and heater in one unit. I Installed numerous units when his tenants would move out. They all had their own circuit.

They were all on a 3 way switch just like normal lights. They were nice.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
you need a bigger/better water heater lol

That's not even the problem, it's just physically too big. It's probably 8x8 inside the shower alone. No one really thought about heat retention during the build I guess.

I stayed there for a week when they were in Mexico last month, it didn't bother me that much but every morning I would wake up I would bump up the heat in the master to 75 and get in the shower 20 minutes later and turn it back down when I got out. They don't like this approach.

I used to put units in rentals that had a light, vent, and heater in one unit. I Installed numerous units when his tenants would move out. They all had their own circuit.

They were all on a 3 way switch just like normal lights. They were nice.

I'm really hoping just a bulb will do it but I'm not willing to risk a fire hazard finding out that it wont.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
You would need a fixture rated for a wet location. The 2 risks being above a shower are electrocution and the bulb exploding when water comes in contact with the hot glass.
There are silicone coated bulbs to prevent explosion.

Keep in mind that I am neither an electrician nor do I live in the USA.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Op you need to talk to a local electrician and get the scoop on exactly what the code is for this kind of thing and exactly how to get it done. Flicking this up could cost one of both your parents their lives. Don't depend on a car forum for accurate advice here

coposrv

Established Member
I'll co-sign and add to thump-rrr. The issue is the fixture itself. If it's a glass enclosed type of wet location trim they also have a max allowable wattage usually around 40 watts for an incandescent lamp. This is due to the inability to dissipate heat. Putting a heat lamp in the fixture will cause problems. You could look into a supplemental heating element in an exhaust fan but it sounds like the shower is too big to have the heating element installed close enough to be of any benefit.

Edit; I'm a licensed master electrician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I don't think the fixture is glass covered, but I don't remember looking directly at it. It very well could be.

I told my mom she needs to have my dad get up there and check out the max wattage of the fixture. If it's limited to 40w or 100w, then they are going to need to look into a different setup anyway.

Thanks guys.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
image.png
Heat lamp style fan units should do the trick. Heat lamps
are 250 watts.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
IMG_3757.PNG
You cannot put that in the shower since it is not designed for a wet location.
It must be located at least 36" outside the rim of the tub or shower to be legal.

I'm a line stepper. If the Cieling is close to 8 ft and the circuit is Gfci protected. I would not lose any sleep.

Here is a wet rated unit, but you will need a separate circuit.

coposrv

Established Member
Moisture can cause the heat lamps to shatter. I've seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
You say that they have a can light above the shower and that the house is new. If so, the can light should be moisture rated. You need to determine the circuit it is on and what it is rated for, 15Amp/20Amp.

It sounds like it is not on a dedicated circuit so consider what else shares the circuit. Based on what the fixture maximum wattage is you should be able to replace the incandescent bulb with the appropriate heat lamp bulb. Not all fixtures include a thermal overload. I would suggest replacing the wall switch with a timer. Heat lamps get quite hot and it always best to use a timer. Installing a heat lamp timer is as easy as replacing the switch.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sounds like you need to call an electrician...
That was the first thing they did but had yet to hear back. I was just hoping for a quick answer, they got in contact with the original builder and it sounds like they are going to come up with something.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread