Electrical Gremlins...HELP

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Ok, for the past few months my battery light has come on occasionally. A few times when driving with lights and wipers (rain) the turn signals have flashed slowly and the wipers were very slow. Finally, I was driving last Friday night and the battery light came on again (it was flickering and not staying on). Soon the dash lights went out and a few miles later the car died and click click wouldn't start.

With 78,000 miles I still have my original battery and alternator so I got the car home and replaced them both using Motorcraft parts from a local Ford dealer. After putting some miles on it the same flickering battery light is back! WTF? :dw:

Any ideas? I was all pleased that I had fixed it... I guess not. :shrug:

The first thought I had was a loose ground somewhere (maybe) or a bad alternator or battery (not likely)?

Please help me figure this out. Thanks :beer:

EDIT: Problem is fixed. See post # 10 below for the solution.

Last edited:

eludercobra

Established Member
Are all your ground wires on the battery and connected to the car in good shape, I have seen where the battery ground looks good, but after inspection found the wire broken and corroded inside the jacket.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Are all your ground wires on the battery and connected to the car in good shape, I have seen where the battery ground looks good, but after inspection found the wire broken and corroded inside the jacket.

Good point, I will be checking. I hate electrical problems! :bash:

futureSVT

Established Member
check the wires going from the battary to the main fuse box located under the hood, or is there a sensor connected the top of the alternator?

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I've been told that it is very likely the alternator could be bad. I plan to have it tested today and see. Although it is a PIA to replace it again, I need to get this fixed. If it tests bad I will get another one. If it tests ok, I'm back to asking questions.

Thanks for the replies.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
another bad alternator...anything is possible...get it checked out by someone that specializes in auto/electrical...

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Problem is fixed.

Went to the dealer where I bought the alternator and battery to have them test the charging system. It turns out that the 12 volt feed to the alternator was shorting somewhere between the dash and the alternator (it runs from the fuse box to the battery light in the dash to the alternator). Ford uses 3 butt splice connectors with heat shrink tubing in this line (I don't like butt splice connectors). One of them had become loose and had created an intermittent connection. This was located in the harness just under the battery tray. There is a sticker on the harness that says "Made In Mexico"... thanks to NAFTA.:bash: Cut open the harness and repair the bad connection and presto, all is good. :pepper::dancenana::pepper::dancenana:

Now I have a new alternator and battery that probably weren't needed just yet. With 78,000 miles, being that I was still running the original ones, they would have been needed soon.

Thanks again for the replies and ideas... :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread