Electric Turbo (Cleetus edition) Potential 4.6 Usage?

andymarkv

Established Member
I found these video's entertaining AND interesting...
I have a high mile PI 4.6 in a Crown Vic & aren't willing to spend the time to install turbo or supercharger.

After reading a bunch on this system...there may be potential for a version of this electric supercharger in a car like mine.

It is designed to connect to the TPS & can give metered boost, not just an all out blast.

The price point is a little high at $2500, but cheaper than a centrifugal kit and easier than home built turbo kit.
Not to mention, simple REMOVAL when you're done.
The main issue is the current product is too small for V8's (its designed for 5psi in 3 liter or smaller engines) and I'm not sure how long it would last in a daily driver.
But definitely interesting...it would be pretty cool to plug in your turbo, get a tune & hit the road!

andymarkv

Established Member
You’d have to be a sucker to pay $2500 for one of those for the dismal power they put out. Cool for his video and stuff but as an actual serious mod, it would be a colossal waste of money.
Please post suggestions of alternative power adders for the same money with significant power increase with similar ease of installation.

john11gt

Established Member
Please post suggestions of alternative power adders for the same money with significant power increase with similar ease of installation.

I didn’t wAtch the track video of it from cleetus but I did watch the dyno video and on the dyno, the cobalt picked up like 35whp.

35whp for 2500? On a 4.6 mustang a cold air intake and tune would be pretty close to that. Aftermarket intake manifold And tune would probably surpass that.

jhonda

Established Member
You’d have to be a sucker to pay $2500 for one of those for the dismal power they put out. Cool for his video and stuff but as an actual serious mod, it would be a colossal waste of money.

cant compare gains from a 4.6 liter vs 2.0. I spent 4500 on a Jackson racing supercharger for a svt focus for a 50hp gain. If you watch the video I think it said it was a 32% increase. Still a lot of money for something that would be hard to rebuild and is just on the market

olympic

Established Member
I think they said it made 5psi on their little 4 cylinder test car. On a 4.6 you'd be lucky to see 2psi.

john11gt

Established Member
cant compare gains from a 4.6 liter vs 2.0. I spent 4500 on a Jackson racing supercharger for a svt focus for a 50hp gain. If you watch the video I think it said it was a 32% increase. Still a lot of money for something that would be hard to rebuild and is just on the market

You would probably see even less of a gain on a bigger motor with that electric turbo. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt by using 35 whp for both vehicles.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
The whp isn't what you guys should be looking at

You should be looking at timeslips. Dropping 1.5 seconds and picking 9+ mph in the qtr mile is what you should be paying attention to.

96dreamer

Established Member
The whp isn't what you guys should be looking at

You should be looking at timeslips. Dropping 1.5 seconds and picking 9+ mph in the qtr mile is what you should be paying attention to.
You're right you should pick two up. Let us know how it goes.

q6543

Established Member
You need to watch the other videos.
They choke off HP on a normal v8... it literally gets in the engines way of breathing. That's why they got the tiny motor cobalt.

DarkMach1

Established Member
This has to be a joke. That piece of shit only made power because the motor itself is small and shitty. That would hardly keep up with the demands on a V8 and you’d have to be retarded to pay 5000 for 2. Buy a used Vortech kit or On3 setup or nitrous.

andymarkv

Established Member
I hear you and agree there are better ways to make power!
I just find the concept interesting.

Yes, the current product is too small and you're right, the companies answer is to buy two...I don't see that ever happening in the real world.

Audi currently uses a 48V electric supercharger in their SQ7 to remove any turbo lag, so there is some viability to the concept.

I'm looking to see if there is anyway to mess around with this idea DIY on the cheap. My Vic ain't worth much & will never be fast, so as long as I can keep the time & dollars to a minimum...who cares!

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
This has to be a joke. That piece of shit only made power because the motor itself is small and shitty. That would hardly keep up with the demands on a V8 and you’d have to be retarded to pay 5000 for 2. Buy a used Vortech kit or On3 setup or nitrous.

Wasn't really designed for larger engines. It's stated on torqamp's website that 3.0L is the largest engine they'd recommend pairing it to.

I wonder what it would be like on a FiST with a turbo swap. You could spool it's turbo way fast lol.

Users who are viewing this thread