Eibach Springs Settle......WHEN????

pestilence

Established Member
I put the pro kit on about a month ago and so far the car has dropped about 1/4 of an inch(maybe 1/2 an inch). I don't think the springs settled I think the car just got tired of me being upset so it decided to drop it's self. So you guys with eibach's, how long did/does it take for them to settle? And if they didn't settle, which I don't think they will, what did u switch to cuz I'm about to be pissed. Thanks for the help

P.S. I don't think I want to do HR's they seem too extreme for a daily driver especially driving through D.C. and B-More (bad streets)

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
It took a while, but they settled. Settled so low I took them off because as a daily driver it was annoying.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
not really sure if thats the springs doing much settling as compared to the isolaters (if new ones were put in) just
squishing down after awhile.

springs wouldnt really be called springs if they didnt maintain
there shape?

A decent spring I would think would stay pretty much as springy
no matter how many times your compressed it, there one of the few things that dont really ever wear out generally.

so maybe the extra drop you get sometimes is just
bushes, isolators, etc all settling down and back into place
after having it all ripped apart to get the springs in.

could be wrong but just doesnt sound right that springs
lose a little spring in there step ;p

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't understand why we're expecting the springs to "settle" to the height drop claimed by the manufacturer. I had a set of Eibach springs installed on my '94 Callaway Camaro back in 1999 and the drop was immediate. I picked the car up at Callaway and the drop was noticeable, as was the better handling. The height never changed from that point. I just don't get it. I'm wondering if there is a step being omitted during the install. If I had a set installed and saw no drop at all within the first day or two I'd sure as heck be on the phone with the vendor AND the manufacturer to get it resolved.
:shrug:

Follow-Up: I went to the Eibach website's FAQ section and here is a quote. So I'd say something is definitely wrong with the install or springs if the car has dropped more than a quarter or half inch.

When Eibach suspension springs are fitted, will the car sit at the correct ride height or will it need time to settle?

All Eibach suspension coils are pre-set to eliminate settling and increase life expectancy. Some minimal settling may occur as the new spring mates up to an existing rubber suspension isolator, this is normal, but is not the same as a poorly produced spring which may take a set and effect the ride height, handling and alignment of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

I've had mine since August and they are dead on the same as the day I installed them. They will not settle as far as the spring itself. I've owned 99 and 01 Cobras and it is has always been a known fact the Pro Kit will not drop an IRS car any. The only reason the front drops on the 03 is because of the added weight. I put them on my 99 and it didn't drop a 1/4 inch. I pulled them out and installed a set of Kenny Browns. I wouldn't have put them on my 03 but with the 315 BFG KD's I'm running I wanted the rear up. I had cut my stock springs before I bought the 315's and with the KD's the fender was just too close. I tried to get a set of stock OEM Ford springs but there was a national back order so I went with a spring I knew that would jack it back up.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I agree with CobraBOB, I had a set of Eibach's on an earlier car and they NEVER settled, they alwasy stayed at the advertised drop. As for H&R's being too extreme, if you use new urethane they really don't drop the car that much, a solid 1.5 in front and 1.75 in rear with isolators.

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
I agree with CobraBOB, I had a set of Eibach's on an earlier car and they NEVER settled, they alwasy stayed at the advertised drop. As for H&R's being too extreme, if you use new urethane they really don't drop the car that much, a solid 1.5 in front and 1.75 in rear with isolators.
Hers one from the other side of the coin. Mine settled about a 1/2" more in front and about 3/4"more in rear. It took about a week and some driving, this was the final measurement when I took it in 1k miles later for its final alignment. You didnt say if you were driving the car or it was just sitting, you have to drive and allow all the suspension parts to move.

pestilence

Established Member
You know what I didn't think they were going to settle based on what I heard around the board, but I did think that they would at least give me the advertised drop. I didn't even get 1/2 the advertised drop. Eibach sucks a$$, guess I have to find something new.....maybe coilovers.

stevieb

Established Member
Most people that have Eibach like them, perhaps something was installed wrong?? Just a guess. I would contact eibach and tell them, maybe the springs were mis packed?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by stevieb
Most people that have Eibach like them, perhaps something was installed wrong?? Just a guess. I would contact eibach and tell them, maybe the springs were mis packed?
I agree. What I don't understand is why I've read so many complaints about this but not one person has stated they called the manufacturer. If it was me I'd be on the phone immediately asking why.
:??:

Someone stated above that the Eibach springs don't drop on an IRS suspension. I can understand installing a Mustang (not Cobra specific) set of springs might not work in the rear, but the front should still drop. Again, this whole issue is very strange. Hopefully some of you buyers will get on the phone and get some real answers.

As for me, I will definitely talk to the manufacturer BEFORE I make my purchase to insure I get what I'm paying for. Or I might just go with coilovers like I originally planned on doing. ;-)

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
i got a 99 cobra and i got the pro kit and the backed dropped as advertised but the front pissed me off only bout 1/2 inch drop in front and has not settled that really pisses me off:mj:

dolphinron

Established Member
I was gonna get the Eibach pro but the installer said I should go with sportlines because I won't be happy with the pro and will be right back wanting it lower. He was right. The sportlines gave it the perfect look.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
All I can tell you guys who don't think they settle is I had the Eibach Pro Kit installed on my 2003 Cobra. They were perfect on day one. By day 45 they were too low. The settling was extremely noticeable.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
I know for a fact that Eibach stress relieves their springs. The only way they will change is if their YIELD STRENGTH is exceeded, and that is not physically possible because Eibach designs their springs such that they can be fully compressed (coil bind) and the forces on the spring will not come close to YIELD. Not physically possible, period.

That said, the most common cause of "settling" complaints on aftermarket suspension is from the installer tightening the pivot point bolts while the vehicle is in the air (hoist or jack stands) with the suspension in full droop. When the vehicle is then put on the ground, the bushings are pre-loaded and a false heigth is the result. The bushings relax over time leading to the conclusion that the springs "settled".
:bash:

A competent installer will always do the final bolt tightening when the vehicle is on the ground at ride height.

FYI: I was chief engineer at Rancho suspension for 12 years...trust me on this. :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by loose nut
I know for a fact that Eibach stress relieves their springs. The only way they will change is if their YIELD STRENGTH is exceeded, and that is not physically possible because Eibach designs their springs such that they can be fully compressed (coil bind) and the forces on the spring will not come close to YIELD. Not physically possible, period.

That said, the most common cause of "settling" complaints on aftermarket suspension is from the installer tightening the pivot point bolts while the vehicle is in the air (hoist or jack stands) with the suspension in full droop. When the vehicle is then put on the ground, the bushings are pre-loaded and a false heigth is the result. The bushings relax over time leading to the conclusion that the springs "settled".
:bash:

A competent installer will always do the final bolt tightening when the vehicle is on the ground at ride height.

FYI: I was chief engineer at Rancho suspension for 12 years...trust me on this. :thumbsup:

Excellent information my friend. I suspected the complaints were more a result of installation issues than in the actual product. You've sonfirmed what I suspected but could never explain.

D-Cobra

Established Member
well.... i had the steeda 03 cobra springs on my car for almost a month, and no drop what so ever. at first, i thought i had to let it settle, but then after a whole month of waiting, it's pretty obvious that the springs are bolony.

i heard that the steeda springs are eibachs painted blue, that's why i'm telling my story here.

anyways, i yanked out the steeda springs today and put in some H&R's, and immediately i noticed a height in drop. i'll wait a few days and let the car settle and see if there are anymore dropping.

03'Darin

Established Member
Here's the shit on the Eibach's for the 03' Cobra.

I measured my ride height both before and after the spring installation. I didn't unbolt any of the suspension pivot points so I wouldn't have an issue with retightening them at the proper ride height.

I ended up with almost 1" of drop in the front and only 1/2" in the rear. When I saw the rear ride height barely changed I unbolted the rear IRS subframe and retightened it to make sure I had the suspension loaded properly. Same results 1/2" drop from stock.

As a couple of people have already stated.......a good coil spring WON'T settle. With all of my previous experience with Eibach's I considered them a good spring.

At this point I decided to call Eibach and find out what the problem is. Of course they said "our spring will not settle but you may get some settling as the isolators and springs seat together". The tech started by telling me the installer must have torqued the pivot points down while the car was jacked up......blah blah blah blah........untill I said "hold on....I did the installation exactly how the Ford shop manual tells you to do it and that's NOT the way. The tech said he has done several installation and never had this problem.

Now I proceded to tell him why I thought the springs didn't drop any more. Because the 03' car has different springs and a lower stock ride height than the 99-01 car does. So instead of Eibach taking the time and effort to engineer and build a correct spring for the 03' car they just kept the same old 99-01 springs but changed the application to read 99-03 cars. The tech then agreed an 03' owner wouldn't see the stated drop because of the alread lower ride height from the factory. THE F___CKING BASTARDS COULDN'T EVEN PUT A FOOT NOTE IN THE APPLICATION BOOK to save us the aggrivation.

Even after calling the tech on the carpet about this he still has the nerve to tell me I need to loosen all of the rear suspension pivot points, disconect the rear sway bar, pull the rear springs out and properly torque the pivot points and the new ride height. Do you know how much bullshit that is. I asked him if that was going to give me the additional inch of drop I was supposed to get.......and he says "he's not sure".

I say......."F" EIBACH. They basically are just blowing off the issue that the application book was just updated to include the 03' cars even though the results wouldn't be anywhere close to what they advertise AND won't do anything to help the consumer correct the problem once they bought and installed the springs.

Darin

Users who are viewing this thread