Eibach pro kit? Settling?

hantzis

Established Member
I got my eibach pro kit installed 1 week ago. The rear seems to be a good height, but the front seems higher than the rear with more of a gap. Is this normal? Maybe the springs haven't settled yet in the front?

For those of you with the pro Kit, how long did it take your springs to fully settle and did you initially experience a higher front than rear?

Thanks,
Dean

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Give it a chance to settle...they will.

Although it's entirely possible that you installed the rear springs on the front by mistake...:shrug:

hantzis

Established Member
Originally posted by PowerCobra98
Give it a chance to settle...they will.

Although it's entirely possible that you installed the rear springs on the front by mistake...:shrug:

LOL, that would be ridiculous. I didn't install them, but I hope the mechanic installed them right. I figured I would notice a serious problem with front springs of 200-300rate and rears of 450-530rate. It feels good around turns, so they have to be on correct, right?

Thanks,
Dean

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Originally posted by hantzis
LOL, that would be ridiculous. I didn't install them, but I hope the mechanic installed them right. I figured I would notice a serious problem with front springs of 200-300rate and rears of 450-530rate. It feels good around turns, so they have to be on correct, right?

Thanks,
Dean

Well...let's hope so!

ohlarikd

Established Member
Although they were installed on the car already when I bought it, the Eibach Pro springs also appear higher in front than the rear. It could drop about another 3/4" and I'd be happy.

I plan on getting some coilovers so I can make any height I want, within suspension geometry reason.

Derek

hantzis

Established Member
Following up --- The springs did settle more. Took about 2 weeks. The front definitely dropped more and looks real nice with 18X9.5" Cobra Rs w/275/35/18s.

I'm much happier with the the Eibach Pro Kit over FMS C springs.
Ride quality is improved and the car feels more stable when cornering (especially when hitting bumps when cornering).

Dean

ohlarikd

Established Member
What shocks are you running? I am about to finally replace mine - not sure with what though - Bilstein, Tokico, Koni.... I guess this would be a different thread.

Derek

hantzis

Established Member
Originally posted by ohlarikd
What shocks are you running? I am about to finally replace mine - not sure with what though - Bilstein, Tokico, Koni.... I guess this would be a different thread.

Derek

Tokico 5 way adjustables. Great shock and you can buy them at the lowest price I've seen here:

http://www.speedconcepts.net -- The owner's name is Ken and he is a great guy to work with. Tell him that I (dean hantzis) recommended him if you call.

Dean

ohlarikd

Established Member
Wow - those are good prices... I use to have these shocks. My problem was, they would bottom out a lot on rebound and make a loud sound - bam! Very unnerving. I was never sure why. Any experience with that?

Derek

hantzis

Established Member
Wow - those are good prices... I use to have these shocks. My problem was, they would bottom out a lot on rebound and make a loud sound - bam! Very unnerving. I was never sure why. Any experience with that?

Derek

Derek, two things come to mind. #1 - maybe you didn't have the 5 way ajustables and had the Tokico premium non adj, ones. I had those in my lowered Cobra and the ride was poor. Just slightly stiffer than the stock shocks and struts. I was bottoming out often.

#2 - If you did have the 5 way ajustables, maybe the stiffness setting was set to the lowest value (1 - very soft). I run 5 up front and 3 in the rear and never hit the pinion snubber.

Dean

ohlarikd

Established Member
Well, they definitely were the 5-way Illuminas. I had them on 4 and 5 usually. There was this one place on my way to work where the road kind of dropped out from under the car, and thats when it would bang, like it was hitting a bump stop on the rebound side...

I don't know, but now I am afraid to get them again.

Derek

hantzis

Established Member
Well, they definitely were the 5-way Illuminas. I had them on 4 and 5 usually. There was this one place on my way to work where the road kind of dropped out from under the car, and thats when it would bang, like it was hitting a bump stop on the rebound side...

I don't know, but now I am afraid to get them again.

Derek

But what shocks are you running now? How much is your car lowered? Which springs do you have?

ohlarikd

Established Member
When I bought the car, it already had the Eiback Pro-Kit on it (~1.5" drop). It currently has the stock shocks, which I want to replace - so there is my dilemma. I think I am going with Bilsteins. I already installed some MM CC plates to go with it.

Hoping for no noise on the Bilsteins...

Derek

hantzis

Established Member
When I bought the car, it already had the Eiback Pro-Kit on it (~1.5" drop). It currently has the stock shocks, which I want to replace - so there is my dilemma. I think I am going with Bilsteins. I already installed some MM CC plates to go with it.

Hoping for no noise on the Bilsteins...

Derek

Well, it doesn't make any sense. The shocks obviously don't determine ride height. Your springs do. The current stock shocks you have in now have a stiffness rating of the 2 setting on Tokico 5way adj. This means if the tokico 5way adj were set to 3-4 or 5, you will have less of a problem bottoming out (much stiffer). You should be experiencing bottoming out much more often with the stock shocks that are in now.

Was the pinion snubber replaced with the smaller one that comes with the eibach pro kit? The stock pinion snubber is large and will hit often when lowering springs are in place. This could be your problem, but you should still notice it with your stock shocks in.

I bet they were installed wrong or something was wrong with them.

I have tokico 5way adj all around in my 97 Cobra w/ eibach 1.5" pro kit lowering springs and cannot remember the last time I bottomed out. I run 5 up front and 3 in the rear.

Maybe the problem lies somewhere else.

Dean

ohlarikd

Established Member
Ah - its not bottoming out on compression - it was 'topping' out on rebound. I was saying that there is a part of the road on my way to work that drops out, so then the struts fully extend and make the loud bang. At least that's what I think was happening. It was definitely on the rebound side though.

The rear was fine, so its not the pinion snubber. Its in the front struts, and the rebound is not adjustable, at least not independently.

Derek

hantzis

Established Member
Ah - its not bottoming out on compression - it was 'topping' out on rebound. I was saying that there is a part of the road on my way to work that drops out, so then the struts fully extend and make the loud bang. At least that's what I think was happening. It was definitely on the rebound side though.

The rear was fine, so its not the pinion snubber. Its in the front struts, and the rebound is not adjustable, at least not independently.

Derek

OHHHHHHHH. Wow that is wierd.

Maybe one shock up front was bad or installed incorrectly.
Regardless, I've never had that problem and I've never heard of it either.

Good luck!
Dean

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread