EGR Valve

JGDogg10

Established Member
Does anyone else’s EGR valve make a hissing noise while it’s idling? I can’t tell if it’s leaking, it has holes around the bottom of the frame under the round daiphram, but I don’t remember if it’s supposed to make a hiss noise or if it’s not good...

I hit it with a shot of propane while running, and it didn’t do a thing to the idle, so I don’t know if that’s just the way it’s supposed to be. This damn ysi is so loud it’s hard to hear anything else in the engine compartment hah

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You shouldn't be hearing any hissing from the EGR valve. If you want to check it hook up a vacuum pump and pull some vacuum on the diaphragm. If it's good the engine will start to stumble and you should be able to hold vacuum.

I'm surprised you still have EGR hooked up given everything else you have done.

JGDogg10

Established Member
You shouldn't be hearing any hissing from the EGR valve. If you want to check it hook up a vacuum pump and pull some vacuum on the diaphragm. If it's good the engine will start to stumble and you should be able to hold vacuum.

I'm surprised you still have EGR hooked up given everything else you have done.

hah for real. I hooked up vacuum to it and it def seems to be working and holds vacuum. I just don’t know where it’s coming from then. It’s so damn hard to hear in there. The thing is, the car when idling shows perfect vacuum on my boost gauge, and it holds a pretty steady idle. I moved my hand all around there and sprayed the area with propane to see if I could get a rise in rpm, and everything is steady. I took a video, but not sure how to upload it on here hah

JGDogg10

Established Member

let’s try this ha

this video was before getting the idle are squared away so no judgements on how the rest of the car sounds lol

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I can't watch the video at work, but if it's idling smooth with decent vacuum and there are no EGR codes. I wouldn't worry about it. A big centri with a BOV makes all kinds of extra noises. I went through that with my F1A. A couple times I had to pull the belt for a minute the blower wouldn't override everything.

JGDogg10

Established Member
Well after doing a bunch of tuning on the car, and having to mess a bunch with the idle parameters, I was cleaning up the engine bay and noticed from the passenger side looking at the back of the mounting point for the egr that one of the mounting bolts was not sticking through the intake as far as the other one… duh . I had to stretch the hell out of the egr tube because of the intake spacer and it made tightening the bolt really tight. I didn’t wanna over tighten the bolt originally because it’s going in to aluminum, but seeing that it wasn’t even holding the egr all the way flush I cranked down on it and for it torqued to spec. So no more leaking noise, sounds perfectly normal..

long story short, bolt wasn’t tightened all the way, I’m an idiot, and everything sounds normal now.. just basically have to retune a bunch of shit now.

Users who are viewing this thread