EGR Removal question.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
My smog pump is gone, and has been for a long time. I am wanting to just rid my self of the Throttle body spacer since the cooling ports were blocked off back in 05. The vacuum stem on the side of the egr is blocked off now. All that is hooked up is the plug, so I dont even think the EGR is even working. If it is not properly. Can I just take my throttle body space off with the egr and be ok running wise? The car runs and idles fine right now.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
You don't need the EGR. You can unhook it, but you'll get a CEL warning you that it's not functioning. It won't effect performance though.

As for the EGR spacer, I'd leave that on. If you remove it, you won't have anything for the throttle cable bracket to attach too, unless you make yourself some kind of custom mount. Removing it would also shorten your intake runner length, which may or may not help.

Just remove the EGR and install a plate back there to avoid any vacuum leaks. There is a guy on EBay that sells them.

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Yeah I found that out. No room for the damn throttle cable under the intake. This is starting to get challenging. Any ideas, on how I can rig this up to work? I tried a zip tie and no luck. I also took the nub that it fits on out, but It needs to connect somewhere to move it with the pedal. Here is what I am seeing.

79bbbb0c.jpg

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
You have 3 options as I see it:
1) remove that valve cover t-bar, and put a regular bolt in there
2) get a phenolic spacer for the intake to raise the TB up
3) put the EGR spacer back on and use a delete plate for the EGR valve.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I moved the T bar bolt, didnt work, so I built a delete last night. I got it installed. I am going to go out here in a bit, and get it all hooked back up.

cotchnobra

Established Member
They make an EGR delete kit that has the bolt holes for the throttle cable that will replace the big factory coolant block EGR spacer. Also there is a EGR simulator to keep you from having a CEL on all the time. Ebay has it all for right about $50. Other places sell the stuff but you will be spending about $75+.

mustang egr eliminator | eBay

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
The CEL burnt out years ago, I will look into that spacer delete. I am just afraid the linkage for the throttle cable will not work correctly if its not bolted down.

cotchnobra

Established Member
You would be correct that the throttle cable wouldn't work right. The cable would move around a bit and then it possibly wouldn't open the throttle all the way.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
It didnt work so the EGR was deleted, spacer is back on, now I am having issues with getting a breather to work properly After cutting everything I could off the bracket it still hits the oil filler area. Now I have to try and find something smaller. Grrr. This is really getting annoying. I am so close too.

cotchnobra

Established Member
Your running the tall ford motor sports valve covers from what I see in the pic. I ran those on mine with the edelbrock intake but I had to put almost a full inch of spacing inbetween the upper and lower intake manifold for the TB to clear the valve cover. where the cable connected to the Body it rubbed and would hang up. I even had to cut off some of the throttle cable bracket with the spacing I put between the upper and lower manifold

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Your running the tall ford motor sports valve covers from what I see in the pic. I ran those on mine with the edelbrock intake but I had to put almost a full inch of spacing inbetween the upper and lower intake manifold for the TB to clear the valve cover. where the cable connected to the Body it rubbed and would hang up. I even had to cut off some of the throttle cable bracket with the spacing I put between the upper and lower manifold

I have a credit cards width right now between it. I am going to do a full right up once I get it finished. I had to JB weld that throttle nut on the bottom the TB, because it broke. Waiting on it to dry then I can put the TB back on, and the CAI and fire it up.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Please snap some pics and put it the write up your going to do. I am interesting in seeing what exactly you did.

I will. Ill try and start on it tomorrow. It was a big learning experience and whats bad is you can barely see them. I had 93-95 cobra valve covers on it before. The motor was out of a low mile 95 cobra.

delz05

Established Member
I used the 2" throttle body spacer from Acufab, nice polished piece. They also have a 3/8 spacer as well. Pulled off all the EGR related wiring and adapted the cooling run by simply running a bypass from rear of intake to the cooling tube at front of intake. The EGR eliminator plug (20.00) keeps the light off. No trouble using this with my Trick-Flow intake. Cleaned up the engine bay nicely once all the pollution stuff is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread