EGR is for what...Help

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
This may sound dumb, but im going for it. On a 95 cobra 5.0 will the car keep trying to stalling at idle ( up and down rpms) without a EGR valve. I just got the car two weeks ago and the guy i got it from took the whole egr assy out..(everything that the egr needs to work)....and he has the smog paper work since 3/16/2010..with the check engin light on

If he didnt need the egr valve how did he drive it around town without any issues.....and pass smog

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
Idk about the smog issue but as long as the guy made sure to plug the intake where the egr went in then there shouldn't be a proble drivability wise all the egr does is dump exhaust gas back into the intake so it can be burned for cleaner emissions... If the intake is still letting air in somewhere besides the throttle body then you will have a wacky idle. Because it's basically a huge vacuum leak I honestly don't know much about it on a mustang (I have a 4v with egr in tact) but I am a mechanic and that's how an egr system works so if the guy removed the entire system and got it tuned theoretically you should have no probs... I'd say first step start it up get under the hood and listen for a vacuum leak... Hope that helps

d-nice

Established Member
I had a 89 Gt and it had a loopy idle sometimes. If I remember correctly it was the throttle position sensor that went bad. It didn't happen all the time though.

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
so SALEENrep, you dont think the EGR would make it idle like s++t? I dont want to shell out $1000 if thats not the prob.

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
It might if it's a fluctuating idle I'd lean more towards no... Unless the ecu is trying to compensate. I would see what the check eng light tells u if it's a code for just egr I'd start looking into that but like I said unless the computer does something to compensate (which it might like I said not a 5.0 cobra guy) than as long as there is no intake leaks I'd say it's something else u might wanna check your idle air control valve could be sticking... I think that's pretty common on 5.0s

Users who are viewing this thread