Educate me on these motors please

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
Ive been looking everywhere to learn everything possible. I dont plan to get extensive in mods, just like knowing things for any reference (someday itll be out of warantee and itll all be my problem, lol)

One thing im REALLY curious about is the power band and tuning. My 01 cobra gradually (but quickly) made power around 4k with a nice pull (obviously much slower than my GT). However, the 5.0 feels like it has NO guts under 3k and then suddently BAM instant balls.....i hate that. Is this tuning? or is it just the nature of the motor?? Reason i hate it is because driving around town causally every shift puts the next gear right in that space (under it) and i look like a n00b because it suddently speeds up more than i began (i hope you understand this shitty example lmao). No overall complaints about the car, just a 'feature' i dont really care for that makes me feel like im learning to drive again, lol. I know technology wise this thing is far more advanced than my cobra so I have some catching up to do. Really interested in what controls what, what can be changed in a tune, and what shouldnt be messed with.

thanks fellas. Please disreguard my ignorance, gotta start somewhere....again :shrug:

stang1971

Established Member
it is kinda like that... gears pretty well solves that issue tho. my auto with the stock 3.15's didnt really start kicking ass till around 3700.... now i can punch it from a 30 roll and it just smokes them until i let off.... just do some light mods and you will be completely happy.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
well the only options i ordered it with was the spoiler and 3.73's. So gears are handled lol. Just seems like too much of a huge jump in power all of a sudden. Feels like its holding back

Its plenty fast, no complaints on that. Just feels....odd. lol

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I don't really get the feeling you're talking about with speeding up differently after shifting. Everythnig on mine is super smooth(shifting and accelerating). I'd say get it tuned probably. A lot of the factory finicky things can be taken care of..as well as making more power ;)

5.0jake

Established Member
Try the FRPP Tune and you can keep your warranty intact.

The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace DEFECTIVE COMPONENTS (FRPP Tune) on Ford Dealer installed parts only.

* A 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty is applicable if installed at the time of new vehicle delivery
* A 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty is in effect if installed after the date of vehicle delivery but prior to expiration of 3 years / 36,000 mile vehicle warranty.

It can effect your warranty just like any other aftermarket part...
This car should have come with this tune from the factory and should solve your lack of low end grunt but possibly at a price...

kingnut

Established Member
isnt there better tunes out there than FRPP? and you can put the tune back to stock if you need to bring it in.

5.0jake

Established Member
isnt there better tunes out there than FRPP? and you can put the tune back to stock if you need to bring it in.

From what Ive gathered looking at dynos, it looks like the FRPP produces the best gains in low-mid range torque but can't be hidden from the dealer and doubt much quicker than stock, just feels quicker. The aftermarket tunes seem to produce real gains (mostly upper end) that have been track proven but not much more low end grunt like the FRPP. The aftermarket tune supposedly can be hidden...
Anyone here with aftermarket tunes (not FRPP) notice much of a difference in low/mid range grunt feel where the stock tune is lacking?

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
thanks for the info. A tune was definately in the books with a CAI and Boss Intake in the near future. But im sticking with SCT... A few friends with 05+ cars said it really helps with throttle response too (which i can also feel the lag, even if its the slightest). :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread