Educate me! Just purchased New Turbo Cobra

nvrstsfied

Established Member
Mine has a Precision 7675 with WG dumped to the atmosphere, and it's pretty loud when it opens up.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4stang6

Established Member
Had it Dynoed today to see where it currently stood, and am very disappointed...
Made only 590rwhp/541rwtq on 17psi running very very rich.... it dipped almost to the 9s.....
So needless to hope, I hope is picks up more power on my dyno tune day....
And Idk how much timing is in it at this time neither....
Thoughts ???

s351

Established Member
curious to know if you, did a compression and leak down test on the car before you bought the car? Also If you are in the 9's at wot you could be cylinder washing which isn't good.

MG0h3

Established Member
Probably was tuned for 21

Either way just wait til you get it tuned. Personally I'd get with 04sleeper on here

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4stang6

Established Member
curious to know if you, did a compression and leak down test on the car before you bought the car? Also If you are in the 9's at wot you could be cylinder washing which isn't good.
It was checked after the fact with zero issues.

MG0h3

Established Member
plenty of people end up with numbers in that area with a TS at the same boost on pump gas. You get that AFR where its supposed to be along with the timing (sure its lower if tuned for 21#) and you'll pick up considerable power.

Its possible that you have a mechanical issue causing the rich AFR but I highly doubt it. I wouldn't worry about a thing until you get it tuned correctly for 17psi.

4stang6

Established Member
plenty of people end up with numbers in that area with a TS at the same boost on pump gas. You get that AFR where its supposed to be along with the timing (sure its lower if tuned for 21#) and you'll pick up considerable power.

Its possible that you have a mechanical issue causing the rich AFR but I highly doubt it. I wouldn't worry about a thing until you get it tuned correctly for 17psi.

Kind of what I was thinking as well.
It runs and idles great, Just now anxious for my dyno tune to really find out what it can do....
I mean. 600hp is fine with me, But seems to it has more in it in sure at 18 to 20psi...

s351

Established Member
I personally would not be happy if my turbo car only made 600 at 17 pounds. All the extra effort for the turbo for pd blower numbers that just not me. But as said above I wouldn't go WOT anymore until you get your tune on point.

s351

Established Member
I personally would not be happy if my turbo car only made 600 at 17 pounds. All the extra effort for the turbo for pd blower numbers that just not me. But as said above I wouldn't go WOT anymore until you get your tune on point.

4stang6

Established Member
Yeah, I won't be doing anymore WOT pulls for sure...I CAN afford a rebuild , But don't want to spend that money for damn sure till the end of the year where I can throw a 5.0 Stroker in it with high comoression.

I'm not happy about the numbers by any means, But I'm hoping the dyno tune will add quite a bit

4stang6

Established Member
For anyone that was interested in more info , I had my Car dyno tuned yesterday .
But took alot of peopels advice and DID in fact perform a compression test with the highest being 175, and lowest being 160.
Car made...
507rwhp/533rwpt on 10psi
619rwhp/622rwpt on 15psi
693rwhp/641rwpt on 19psi
All pulls were @ 17 Degress of timing.
Those are my current settings.

4stang6

Established Member
Im actually not 100% sure, I do know he completed removed the old tune it had, and started over with a Flashed PCM.

MastaAce03

Established Member
For anyone that was interested in more info , I had my Car dyno tuned yesterday .
But took alot of peopels advice and DID in fact perform a compression test with the highest being 175, and lowest being 160.
Car made...
507rwhp/533rwpt on 10psi
619rwhp/622rwpt on 15psi
693rwhp/641rwpt on 19psi

Strong work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
Safety:

Edit: page 2 loaded and I see you got tuned, nice numbers.

Get it tuned. Or at the least ran. 10.6-10.8 wot is too rich and will foul plugs quickly. Fouled plugs is a precursor to many issues. When it's tuned, tune it on average gas (premium). This will have a lower detonation threshold. Once tuned, run top teir premium fuel such as shell. Also ask your tuner to make a conservative tune. Hero tunes look great on the internet until they blow up quickly.

Learn what you can about these 4 issues:
-compressor surge (bad)
-back pressure (keep it under 1.5psi)
-vacuum leaks (they suck)
-engine bay heat (it sucks)

I heat coated my entire hotside with jetblack coating. I can grab my down pipes right after dyno pulls. If you have a return fuel system, I argue it's a must so you don't vapor lock or cook the fuel.

Boost controllers are great, but always keep a loose eye on boost gauge. The time you get too comfy and forget to check could be a day where something has let go and you have surge. It will drive fine and feel just a bit off until something goes very bad.

Run an oil like an ultra platinum or wide heat range oil if you have oil fed turbos. Ultra platinum isn't or is very durable from 200-280+°f. That is great peace of mind. Reason being is the oil will be flowing through a 300-500°+ turbo charger. That isn't a nice environment.

700whp+ is not by any means guarantee-able or safe for any engine regardless of its strength, safety nets, or build quality. Don't take it for granted, use catch cans and empty them weekly, monitor fluid consumption and maintain after every spirited drive, or 250 miles of average driving ( or every drive honestly.)

Monitor vitals. Voltage, inlet air temp 2's, oil pressure, fuel pressure, coolant temp etc. Obviously boost, timing, load, and oil temp as well.

It will eventually fail. Catastrophically. Budget and begin saving for that day. Study and understand what to do if something feels like it let go so that you don't turn a burned piston into a burned piston, melted head, scorched block, and melted components.

And most important of all, just relax and let the turbo gods steer the ship because in the end everything finds a way to fail eventually, regardless of precaution or calculation if you drive it hard often. Nhra nitro funny car engines are meticulously monitored and maintained, yet they fail literally every 1-5 races.

If you drive it hard and punish the car, it will fail.

Also if you are revving it to higher rpm often, consider mmr's billet timing guides and components. There's also oil breathers, coolant head flow mods, Lincoln Mark 8 cooling fan swap, better heat resistant alternators, and so much more.

On a less Bewildering note, here's some info on exhaust.

Exhaust:

I run straight 3" stainless works x and catback but put vibrant resonators in.

Turbos are big though, t4 6265's which muffle a lot of noise on their own.

Here's a channel with various audio clips. These are all on 10-12psi.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJP2U3yWITSDiKdmGgwB5Nw

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Car made...
507rwhp/533rwpt on 10psi
619rwhp/622rwpt on 15psi
693rwhp/641rwpt on 19psi

That's on 93 pump gas and 8.5:1 compression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

305Cobra

Established Member
I made 1050 at 20.6 psi my motor has 9 to 0 compression e85 and a 76/85 then at 30 made 1220 spining on dyno.. so i beleive depending on your turbo @ 20.2 psi has to have retarded timing to not be closed to 1000 rwhp

Users who are viewing this thread