Educate me! Just purchased New Turbo Cobra

4stang6

Established Member
As the title states, I recently purchased an 03 Cobra with a Single Turbo Hellion Kit (T76)
I've been trying to get more educated as I go along.
Previous owner stated it made over 700rwhp on 17psi...But didn't have a dyno sheet to prove it.And tune was by Lund Racing.
DOES that sound about right to yall??? I drove the car at WOT and it made 20.2 psi!!! Pulls hard as hell too.
I just don't know how accurate his HP numbers are.
I'll be getting it Dynoed this week to see what it puts down....
I tried adjusting the controller to turn the boost down but didn't play around with it long enough to figure it out, I'll be reading up more on it.Its the Blitz SPC ID 3.
Thanks for any info

MastaAce03

Established Member
If that's on pump gas, tread lightly until you get it figured out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Whenever I buy a car if this caliber and with such an extensive mod list, if no dunk sheet is available, it might not hurt to get it on a dyno at your local tuner to get it checked out. Make sure the A/F ratio is safe and tune runs smooth. While you're there you'll get some definitive numbers to work with.

4stang6

Established Member
Yes, It's on pump 93 with Torco to make it 104...
At WOT the Air/Fuel ration goes to about 10.6 - 10.8 , Hard to really tell because it's a mechanical gauge....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Agreed. Very possible. Be sure to update your thread after you get it dynoed.

Congratulations by the way. Do you still have your '96 Cobra?

4stang6

Established Member
Agreed. Very possible. Be sure to update your thread after you get it dynoed.

Congratulations by the way. Do you still have your '96 Cobra?

Thank You!
And no I sold it a while back...
I guess it's time to update the signature .

MG0h3

Established Member
I suspect youre more up around 750. Id be concerned too if he stated 17 and youre making 20. Elevation changes dont affect turbo systems like a supercharger will so that shouldnt be the cause. Youre plenty fat according to the gauge though.

Like previously mentioned, Id take it easy until you get it tuned.

Id use one of the guys on here. Never heard a horror story about either of the MalcolmV8 or 04sleeper.

4stang6

Established Member
I suspect youre more up around 750. Id be concerned too if he stated 17 and youre making 20. Elevation changes dont affect turbo systems like a supercharger will so that shouldnt be the cause. Youre plenty fat according to the gauge though.

Like previously mentioned, Id take it easy until you get it tuned.

Id use one of the guys on here. Never heard a horror story about either of the MalcolmV8 or 04sleeper.
Thanks for the info!
I went through the boost controller today after detailing it and found out how to make changes, And changed the boost back to the 17psi setting...
I know these motors without being built can handle turbo power differently than a KB or whipple, But I for sure won't be beating on it either way until it gets checked out and dyno tuned...
I absolutely love this car!

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Yes, It's on pump 93 with Torco to make it 104...

Is this a stock engine car with an unmodded Hellion kit? If so on 17psi 700rwhp is about right.

Next thing, 93 + Torco does not give you 104 octane. Max octane you can get using Torco accelerator is 101. I would not be doing any WOT pulls until you get the car back on a dyno or street tuned properly. It does not take much to melt a piston. If the car was tuned on 17psi and you are doing 20psi pulls, you may be rolling the dice.

4stang6

Established Member
Thanks Juiced46.

Out of curiosity, Do any Turbo cobras out there run straight exhaust? No muffler...
I have some borla stingers on mine, and they sound Awful in my opinion.
I can't really find alot of exhaust clips of a turboed 4v thats running straight pipe ...

MG0h3

Established Member
I did on my fox and it sounded great. A lot of guys run open DP which is the best performance wise.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

nvrstsfied

Established Member
I had open downpipe on mine when I got it and it was mind numbingly loud. Kind of smelled like exhaust in the car too. Put on a Bassani and it sounds pretty decent.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

4stang6

Established Member
I was thinking of going with Magnapacks or an SLP

I'm wanting to for sure dump the wastegate to the atmosphere vs recirculating into the downpipe , To give it's little more noise when going into boost :)

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
I have a turbo Mach 1 with (most of) a hellion kit. I swapped out the Precision for a Borg Warner and made a few other tweaks.
It would also overboost due to poorly cut wastegate hole. The wastegate is 46mm, but the hole was only 30mm. After reaming it out it stopped overboosting. The bov was also terribly undersized and it would flutter, so I swapped that little 28.5mm for a 50mm JGS bov.
700whp is right where it should be. This car made 667whp around 18psi but the SPEC stage 1 clutch the guy had in it had to be slipping. It's also 8.5:1 compression with stock heads and cams, so basically the same as yours except with a Teksid block.
When I bought the car the exhaust was dumped under the passenger side with a large glasspack. It didn't sound too obnoxious, but the hack job of the install and the fumes drove me nuts. I went with a regular Magnaflow cat back and it sounds decent. Not exactly the sound I wanted, but it's decent, and tough to "tune" the sound of a turbo exhaust, especially with the different X and Y pipes in the hellion kit.

4stang6

Established Member
I have a turbo Mach 1 with (most of) a hellion kit. I swapped out the Precision for a Borg Warner and made a few other tweaks.
It would also overboost due to poorly cut wastegate hole. The wastegate is 46mm, but the hole was only 30mm. After reaming it out it stopped overboosting. The bov was also terribly undersized and it would flutter, so I swapped that little 28.5mm for a 50mm JGS bov.
700whp is right where it should be. This car made 667whp around 18psi but the SPEC stage 1 clutch the guy had in it had to be slipping. It's also 8.5:1 compression with stock heads and cams, so basically the same as yours except with a Teksid block.
When I bought the car the exhaust was dumped under the passenger side with a large glasspack. It didn't sound too obnoxious, but the hack job of the install and the fumes drove me nuts. I went with a regular Magnaflow cat back and it sounds decent. Not exactly the sound I wanted, but it's decent, and tough to "tune" the sound of a turbo exhaust, especially with the different X and Y pipes in the hellion kit.
Hey does it sound dumping the wastegate to atmosphere? Personal opinion...
This car isnt a daily driver, its more a Saturday car....

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
Hey does it sound dumping the wastegate to atmosphere? Personal opinion...
This car isnt a daily driver, its more a Saturday car....

Yes mine is dumped, and it's certainly loud when it opens. With the regular Magnaflows it goes from surprisingly quiet to stupid loud all at once without much in between. Of course I doubt you'll be hitting 18psi around town, especially with that 7675, so I wouldn't worry at all about noise.
Mine is set for 9, 13, or 18psi. Mine stays at 9psi (wastegate pressure), where the tires won't suddenly break loose but it's still good fun.

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I found my car to be louder with magnapacks rather than an open downpipe. I think it was more the pitch that it made it seem that way. The open downpipe was more low pitched versus the magnapacks made a loud raspier higher pitched sound so it seemed louder. I know run straight out the fenders.

4stang6

Established Member
I found my car to be louder with magnapacks rather than an open downpipe. I think it was more the pitch that it made it seem that way. The open downpipe was more low pitched versus the magnapacks made a loud raspier higher pitched sound so it seemed louder. I know run straight out the fenders.
Thats an awesome look!!!
I would do that if i didnt plan to sell in the later future of it.... Next owner of this car im sure would not pay top dollar for a hole in the bumper or fender lol.

Im most def going to Magnapacks , And just sell my Stingers.
Im also going to vent my BOV and Wastegate to atmosphere when i get closer to my Dynotune date.

I have a Dyno sesh coming up this weekend to see where it sits as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread