Edelbrock Victor II Intake Manifold for the Ford 5.0 Coyote V8 (P/N #7180)

Fomoco69

Established Member
Edelbrock is showing off a new cast aluminum Intake manifold for the Ford 5.0 Coyote V8 at SEMA 2015. According to them this intake will fit under the factory strut tower barces on both the S197 and S550 Mustangs. From the exterior it appears to be a take on the Boss 302 intake, but looking inside it seems that the runners may extend further into the main chamber than the Boss unit. This new intake comes drilled and tapped for nitrous.

According to some signage and a dyno sheet posted with it Edelbrock claims it picked up 16 HP over the factory Coyote intake (probably an 11-14 one) and 27 ft-lbs over a "common aftermarket plastic manifold upgrade". We all know they are talking about the FPRP Boss 302 kit from the Roadrunner engine. Though I'm sure this intake probably weighs a good bit more than the Ford Performance plastic offerings I suspect it will be popular with owners running nitrous, turbos, or centri-blowers. It should certainly handle a nitrous backfire better than a plastic intake.
Always a trade off....but personally I would much rather have an aluminum intake on my car like my 2003 Mach 1 instead of plastic.....just another way for manufacturers to cut cost & weight.....not on my car

EdelBrock_Coyote_Intake_0001.jpg

EdelBrock_Coyote_Intake_0002.jpg

EdelBrock_Coyote_Intake_0004.jpg

EdelBrock_Coyote_Intake_0005.jpg

EdelBrock_Coyote_Intake_0006.jpg

EdelBrock_Coyote_Intake_0007.jpg
Would be curious to see how a stock IM compares to similar mods that Edelbrock has listed on that dyno sheet. My guess will be a increase of low end torque and power with a sacrifice in top end (stock IM btw).

Fomoco69

Established Member
Personally , I would not have a plastic intake on my car....just another way for manufacturers to cut cost & weight...aluminum wins the trade off

Fomoco69

Established Member
Was there ever an intake purchased and dyno'd? I would like to see that.
Not that I know of, ....the new coyote motors are obviously awesome & make a lot of power & plastics have there place , but not on the intake manifolds

hand-filer

Established Member
Personally , I would not have a plastic intake on my car....just another way for manufacturers to cut cost & weight...aluminum wins the trade off

Yes cutting cost, weight and reducing heat soak is totally dumb.
efa3fb7c50f2c4ad1ade25688aa08fb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fomoco69

Established Member
Yes cutting cost, weight and reducing heat soak is totally dumb.
efa3fb7c50f2c4ad1ade25688aa08fb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.....I understand those reasons , but just think because of heat the intakes will crack too easily & should remain aluminum or titanium...maybe if they have an inner lining they are ok?

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
My engine runs at well below the melting temperature of a composite intake manifold. Not sure about anyone else's. My CJ is doing just fine, and I certainly wouldn't want to throw a heavy chunk of metal right on top of the motor when a lighter composite piece works.

I know we all know more than Ford engineers, GM engineers, and every other engineer out there, but I think composite intakes have been pretty well proven in the field.

whatsup62

Established Member
My engine runs at well below the melting temperature of a composite intake manifold. Not sure about anyone else's. My CJ is doing just fine, and I certainly wouldn't want to throw a heavy chunk of metal right on top of the motor when a lighter composite piece works.

I know we all know more than Ford engineers, GM engineers, and every other engineer out there, but I think composite intakes have been pretty well proven in the field.
No so fast - a couple of things. First the stock intake weighs in at 16#'s the Victor is 14.5#'s.
Secondly it does not heat soak or heat up at much as the composites....it dissipates heat better.

Intake temp has been checked. It is cooler.

Stock - 146 degrees at the top and 161 degrees at the manifold to head junction.
Victor- 128 degrees at the top and 150 degrees at the manifold to head junction.

All this being said I have one....I made a lot of changes to the car including this intake. It pulls to 7500 no issues, no drop offs. With a little ole P1 Procharger at 10psi the car did 752/630 on E85. Plus it fits under the strut brace and looks awesome!

Attachments

• Victor.jpg
    Victor.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 483

jlm961

Established Member
I would like to see one of these manifolds show up on a stock or mild bolt on car to see what it does as far as actual dyno numbers in the car. For the price this thing is going for it should show good gains on an otherwise stock motor with no other mods...it's the priciest option out there. I'm getting ready to throw a couple mild bolt ons and a tune on my daily driver and wouldn't mind an extra 15-20 hp with no torque loss. I did not want to go with the Boss intake because of the torque losses and the daily driver nature of my ride.I would hate to spend 1200+ on this thing for a mild cai/tune/catback car and find out it did nothing. If I am understanding the advertisements correctly, Edelbrock got their numbers from an engine dyno with dyno headers.

Bob Williams

No so fast - a couple of things. First the stock intake weighs in at 16#'s the Victor is 14.5#'s.
Secondly it does not heat soak or heat up at much as the composites....it dissipates heat better.

Intake temp has been checked. It is cooler.

Stock - 146 degrees at the top and 161 degrees at the manifold to head junction.
Victor- 128 degrees at the top and 150 degrees at the manifold to head junction.

All this being said I have one....I made a lot of changes to the car including this intake. It pulls to 7500 no issues, no drop offs. With a little ole P1 Procharger at 10psi the car did 752/630 on E85. Plus it fits under the strut brace and looks awesome!
Are you still using this intake. I am building a twin setup and want to push boost. People are saying boss intake but I think it is only good for about 20 psi.

Can not find what this is good for boost levels.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I also looking at manifolds to hold 25+psi.
This, the Holley Sniper (new design), MMR and custom options out there.
Any known failures of the FRPP/CJ intake with boost?
-J

Users who are viewing this thread