Ecoboost f150 owners: Are you happy with your truck

Blackedout

Established Member
I've had both 5.0 & eco... Had a 13' F150 w/5.0 great running/riding/good power and 24mpg put 18,000+ miles in 3 months... Have a 14' F150 eco runs good, rides stiffer and 19.3 mpg I've put 16,000+ miles in 3 months... The 5.0 has better power and you just roll into the throttle and it pulls, the eco you need to run harder for the power to kick in.... The 5.0 would be my 1 st choice... The eco is by no means junk... I'd take it over a 4.6 2 valve any day...

JDUB348

Established Member
I've driven both trucks. My parents have a 2013 eco boost and i have a 2013 5.0L

Both trucks get about the same gas mileage.. and both trucks make similar power.. i prefer my 5.0 over the eco boost.. but thats just me. Not to mention my parent's eco boost sounds like a prius when you start it :lol:

Last edited:

garner

Established Member
Ecoboost all the way! Before buying the stang, I was looking at a 2013 fx2 extended cab 5.0 with 3.31 gears(iirc) and a stx extended cab 5.0 with 3.15 gears, both were absolute dogs merging onto the highway. After that I test drove an ecoboost screw and it felt a lot better!

Not to mention my friend's screw ecoboost with just tune, intake, and exhaust will run even with my stang from 60-120ish

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, I love mine. That being said, can you throw in a few more dollars and find a 13? The 11's and '12's had some TSB's. Heck, even the early 13's. Point is, they kept improving them and applied the learnings to the newer models.

04cobra88

Established Member
I have a 2011 fx4 Eco and its at ford now with 77k on it getting new timing chains installed , fuel mileage is shit all i did was add 10 ply Kelly safari tsr tires my old man and my buddy with the 5.0 get 300 more kilometres per tank and Also 5.0 don't have turbos going and timing chains, and then you get a hesitation when it's raining and your driving its builds condensation and when u go to ail it and pass a vehicle the truck cuts out completely needless to say I'm trading mine this week for a 14 5.0 fx4

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
I recently just purchased my 2012 ecoboost. I love it. Everything about it. Spend the extra cash and grab the FX4 package. I traded it in for my 03 Cobra. Don't judge me lol. I miss my cobra to hell and back but. Needed the truck for real life situations. If you catch my drift haha. But honestly, I love the ride, the feel everything. Plus just watch the torture test. It's great!!!

MARKCORE

\m/ >< \m/
Established Member
I have a 14 FX4 EB. Love the styling, room is awesome, does great in the minimal trail driving I do in the mud. MPG - 14-18

I have 9k miles on it, and will be taking it in to have my trans looked at. Kinda sputters when I switch to reverse.

All in all, I love this truck.

Turbo lag is a kinda bad in it though, probably my only complaint.

SFLEcoboost

Established Member
I bought my FX2 in Sept '13....traded my 07 Lariat for it. Mileage? Well, i lived 9 miles from work and most of my trips involve fairly short commutes. Thus, my mileage sits at 16.3 while my 07 was getting just over 14mpg. My truck has almost 19,000 miles and i have no complaints, then again I do have almost every option! AC seats? Fa sho!

Now, as for mileage....i have a job that affords me summers off, so I have the luxury of weekday trips to the beach. Since my preference in sand is a bit of a drive from the house, my mileage during the summer is just over 17ish. What few long distance trip i have made end up showing almost 22mpg. I do have stock size tires (275/55/20), a canned X3 tune, Stainless Works exhaust, and Airaid intake. That being said, if the truck i wanted didnt have the 'boost, i coupd have lived with the five oh (boss manifold:D), but its easy to find a fairly well appointed ecoboost truck in south florida for a good deal. Mine was stickered at 47,270, i got it for under 40k, traded in my truck, and put some money down. Was this my first choice? No, a glass roof/brembo/recaro GT was...but you cant haul mulch in a Mustang! The truck does everything I want, but if someone knocks off a bank in wellington and the getaway is a black supercrew, im screwed! Along with the 9 other identical trucks i see on the daily.

Last edited:

Gremlin85

Established Member
I just bought my FX4 Ecoboost SCREW brand new and lov eit. I've got 490 miles on it now and am looking forward to a long ownership. I'm hoping to avoid many issues by adding a catch can and replacing the CAC. Maybe a down pipe, exhaust and tune later down the road.

I'm selling mine

Parting out first?

Ezbok58a

Everybody needs a Blimp!
Established Member
I actually didn't expect to get a Ecoboost, but it just sort of happened and I'm glad it did. Pulls away effortlessly, I towed my 4300lb Crown Vic with it through PA to Ohio and it rarely made you feel like you were pulling any weight back there, the return trip with a mid 80s 7series would make you forget there's a car on the back.

So far I love everything about it.

USMC500

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for the good info just bought a 2013 crew cab ecoboost FX4 package max tow package it has 24,000 Mikes on it. I feel I got a good price at $33,500. Besides the oil separators, already order the dual kit from UPR, any other suggestions. I got the extended warranty from ford bumper to bumper everything til 125,000 miles so I feel pretty safe can't wait to tow my 2000lbs trailer and 4000 lbs Shelby should be no problem with the max trailer being 11,300 lbs. Look foward to long life with this truck

02_Lightning

Established Member
I have had 6.2L Ford trucks and ended up with a 12 FX4 Ecoboost. I can say that acceleration from a stop sign is not good. You have to really floor it to get moving, and then quickly let off when turbos kick in. Turbo lag is really awful. Now, on to the mechanical flaws...
1) spark plugs need changed every 40k miles and properly gapped at .028
2) intercooler works too well and pumps moisture through the system. This is what eats your plugs,and causes spuddering. This has nearly gotten me killed twice now.
So, I really don't like this truck at all and will try trading for a 5L or 6.2 truck if one comes available. I really, really hate this ecoboost engine.

BSB318

Established Member
I have had 6.2L Ford trucks and ended up with a 12 FX4 Ecoboost. I can say that acceleration from a stop sign is not good. You have to really floor it to get moving, and then quickly let off when turbos kick in. Turbo lag is really awful. Now, on to the mechanical flaws...
1) spark plugs need changed every 40k miles and properly gapped at .028
2) intercooler works too well and pumps moisture through the system. This is what eats your plugs,and causes spuddering. This has nearly gotten me killed twice now.
So, I really don't like this truck at all and will try trading for a 5L or 6.2 truck if one comes available. I really, really hate this ecoboost engine.

I could have got myself an ecoboost tremor for $11,000 off sticker but I got a 5.0 coyote F150.

The main reason I made that choice is because of all the ecoboost horror stories out there....Not to mention the coyote engine has just been awesome for the mustang.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you guys complaining about turbo lag - what gears do you have? I have the 3.73s of the tow package in mine and it takes off with plenty of grunt, I never need much throttle input (although I use it anyway)

long term, id probably look at the 5.0, just less to go wrong. I love my ecoboost and Id buy it again. Trucks that havent had either the smaller intercooler replacement or the "sticker" that blocks the lower half of the front of the intercooler will likely have the ecoboost shudder in the right conditions. Basically if you cruise at steady throttle input for long periods of time water will build up in the intercooler than get blown into the engine next time you get on the throttle hard. Give it enough throttle to shift down gear every once in a while and its not a problem.

I have a slightly heavy foot and get 15.5 mpg around town, in the summer on the highway its close to 21mpg @ 78mph and in the winter its around 19 (630 mile trip to NC i make 2x per year). Pulling my Mach on an open trailer at 75 got me 13.5 mpg

02_Lightning

Established Member
The ecoboost just doesn't do anything better than the 5.0 or 6.2.
Also, solution for the moisture is drilling the 1/16 weep hole in intercooler. I did that and installed new plugs at .028 gap. Truck has no shutter now and all is good. Yes, mine has 3.73 and it still requires lots of throttle to get moving.

motorhead427

Established Member
I had a 2013 E/B and was very happy with it, no problems. So i recently traded for a 2015 3.5 EB and am very happy with it. All the power i need.

Users who are viewing this thread