Ecoboost f150 owners: Are you happy with your truck

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Found a truck for me to replace my daily driver. It is a one owner, 40,000 mile 2011 crew Ecoboost..... For those who own the Ecoboost are you happy overall with the quality, performance, durability?.... Is the truck really dependable?

I have been doing a lot of research and a lot of internet studying, but I am a bit hesitant pulling the trigger as this is a expensive purchase ($25,000+) and I am a little perplexed about the few issues I am aware about..... (The intercooler thing and the need to install a separator to help reduce carbon buildup) I need this truck to last me a long time.....

Or should I just find a nice 2011 5.0 crew F150?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
From,a buddy's aspect...he is very disappointed with the towing mileage and he only avgs about 18-19 on the interstate. Set cruise at 75 And it's showing 17-18.

Now with most somewhat performance cars there Are always little quirks. I.e. The separator to keep build up out of the inter cooler and piping. My very reliable duramax has similar issues. It took a $300 EGR delete to be even more reliable etc etc

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
very happy with mine. in fact it does so good I am getting rid of my SHO, the truck gets better MPG, has more room, and is more comfortable. I get 16-17mpg in town, the wife just got back from vacation though Wyoming and Denver, the truck averaged 21mpg for the trip. oh and the power is the real kicker.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
From,a buddy's aspect...he is very disappointed with the towing mileage and he only avgs about 18-19 on the interstate. Set cruise at 75 And it's showing 17-18.

Now with most somewhat performance cars there Are always little quirks. I.e. The separator to keep build up out of the inter cooler and piping. My very reliable duramax has similar issues. It took a $300 EGR delete to be even more reliable etc etc

Very true.... I guess I am just getting spooked by all the complaints of needing the separator.... I just don't want to get into continuous repair....this is why I got rid of my 2006 PSD 6.0 as it started nickel and diming me to death.... and the EGR delete was something I didn't want to spend more money on....

CobraCarrera

Established Member
very happy with mine. in fact it does so good I am getting rid of my SHO, the truck gets better MPG, has more room, and is more comfortable. I get 16-17mpg in town, the wife just got back from vacation though Wyoming and Denver, the truck averaged 21mpg for the trip. oh and the power is the real kicker.

Good to know..... I see so many on the road....I drove a few Eco's myself and they do run real strong....Just a bit leery about the upkeep.... Did you do any mods to your truck? I want to keep mine stock except for maybe a catback...

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I am in the same boat, I am looking at a white 2012 as my new daily.

Subbed.

Good luck. I am sure you will do fine.... Stay looking up north more as I believe they tend to be more giving in the used truck market.... Down here in the south, they barley want to budge with the prices even as they are fairly close to the price of a new STX with a 5.0 ($31,000) The one I found would be $25,xxx out the door....

04svtterm

Established Member
Sounds like a good thread. I actually was given a 2014 f150 limited over the weekend. drove it once and i was impressed. For a pick up, it's pretty sharp with the 22" wheels and the blue leather. i was planning on selling it but i'm thinking of hanging on to it and using it for beach days. Love to hear everyone's input on the ecoboost and on the 2014 Limited in general. This would be my first F150.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Sounds like a good thread. I actually was given a 2014 f150 limited over the weekend. drove it once and i was impressed. For a pick up, it's pretty sharp with the 22" wheels and the blue leather. i was planning on selling it but i'm thinking of hanging on to it and using it for beach days. Love to hear everyone's input on the ecoboost and on the 2014 Limited in general. This would be my first F150.

Good luck with it..... I would keep it if you can.... It is great to have a truck around the house... Especially one that is as nice as yours and that can haul the mail as well....These new trucks are very impressive.... Almost puts some sports cars to shame....almost.....

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
mju5ol.jpg

04svtterm

Established Member
Given? Must be nice!

Yes, A client who had a deal go bad. His customer purchased some vehicles and fell through on paying for the export. My client handed the title over for this truck, which belongs to the customer who screwed him, to me for the payment of the exports i did for his customer. The amount was $18k.

Good luck with it..... I would keep it if you can.... It is great to have a truck around the house... Especially one that is as nice as yours and that can haul the mail as well....These new trucks are very impressive.... Almost puts some sports cars to shame....almost.....

yea, i was actually impressed at how nice it really was. it's that pearly white color too. Wife even loved it when we took out for our Date night. I'm thinking of keeping it because it would really avoid me using my other vehicles for more demanding tasks. Only concern was the ecoboost as i know nothing about them. lol As long as it's reliable i'm happy.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Very true.... I guess I am just getting spooked by all the complaints of needing the separator.

Most, if not all forced induction engines could use an oil separator to keep crap out of the charge pipes, especially with all the EGR/IAC stuff on cars these days.

Gravik

Established Member
Friend of mine had a 2011 Ecoboost. He traded it in a couple week ago on a 6.4 PSD.

The Ecoboot was a great truck. I drove it quite a bit. Fuel mileage is meh. They get diesel mileage. My friend's had a leveling spacer and 35's, so that didn't help.

However they tow great. We hooked up a 4k lb trailer and drove from Boie to Las Vegas to get my Mustang, then drove back. 8k lbs behind the truck and it towed it like it wasn't there.

On the way back the truck went into limp mode for some reason. Other than that, the only issue the truck had was a coil pack went bad.

206k7dt.jpg

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I picked up a 2011 4 door, 2wd with 28k on it to tow my Boss to the track. Love the truck. Gas mileage isn't great, but that's not what I bought it for. It yanks the Boss and a 24ft Maxey drop n load open steel trailer with no issue. Only mods to the suspension are a leveling kit and rear air bags. However, I did throw a rod and destroy the block, heads and turbos at 31k miles. Ford replaced everything under warranty without issue. No idea why it tossed a rod. I was taking off from a light and it went clunk, rattle, rattle.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
I picked up a 2011 4 door, 2wd with 28k on it to tow my Boss to the track. Love the truck. Gas mileage isn't great, but that's not what I bought it for. It yanks the Boss and a 24ft Maxey drop n load open steel trailer with no issue. Only mods to the suspension are a leveling kit and rear air bags. However, I did throw a rod and destroy the block, heads and turbos at 31k miles. Ford replaced everything under warranty without issue. No idea why it tossed a rod. I was taking off from a light and it went clunk, rattle, rattle.
:eek: thats...sort of a huge deal.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I just got mine and only have 1100 miles on it but I love it so far. It's killing my old F150's 13.5mpg average. I drove it back from Ca to Seattle this past week and with 1000lbs in cargo in the back I was averaging 17.5 and seeing 25mpg hold regularly on the meter. The power is incredible smooth and there's plenty of torque on hand. I'm thinking a tune could improve fuel mileage a little more and firm up the shifts. Overall I'm loving the truck though!

Users who are viewing this thread