eBay ALternator compatibility

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
The 'ol alternator took a dive today.
Re-man put in by a dealer. Still on warranty, but I'm stationed overseas and Ford Italia doesn't honor US warranties lol

Anyways, will this fit on my 2003 Cobra?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270-HIGH-AM...95-1994-Ford-Mustang-COBRA-3-8L-/261453176441

I've read that we have the same alt as the 2003 3.8L, but I don't want to take any chances. If it doesn't work out I'm going to go with one of these guys...

http://stores.ebay.com/Eagle-Auto-E...3+cobra&submit=Search&_fsub=16&_sid=144108571

Thanks in advance

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
Don't buy anything from Eagle. They will never respond to any warranty work. Starters and alternators on eBay seem OK.

b_dike

Established Member
No not the same as the v-6s, the cobras use a 130amp unit. I think the other stangs come with a 115amp unit. Can't remember for sure though.

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
@DrakeSnake, I've been doing a lot of reading and I could only find good news! And the price seems killer, about 1/4 the price of the PA Performance units from vendors. Do you have personal experience with them? I'd love to hear it, all I have to go off of it their eBay rankings, and it's 99.9% positive lol

@b_dike, but that unit is a 270amp, I'm mostly worried about fitment.

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
I do have personal experience with them and I fell for all them good reviews also and there bs. Yes there cheap yes you will get the alt. But if u need a replacement via there one year warranty don't count on them answering emails or phone calls. And I think a 270amp is way to much for our cars. If your money this is just my opinion from dealing with them

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Any other ideas? StartNcharge seems to be out of the running, this is my third stock one in 3 yeaqrs, and the only other option seems to be a %400 PA performance from a vendor

Tractionless1

Established Member
Any other ideas? StartNcharge seems to be out of the running, this is my third stock one in 3 yeaqrs, and the only other option seems to be a %400 PA performance from a vendor

Billet Tech/Mechman or Nations

I saw a amp. output chart for the Ebay unit and it's a joke, something like 20 amps. at idle. Compare that to my Mechman @160a and 175a max of an advertised 170a unit. NEVER lower than 13.8v.

I'd take Drakesnake's personal experience to heart. There's a lot of products and businesses out there that get rave reviews until something goes bad. I wholeheartedly believe they won't warranty yours either. How could they at 1/4 cost of a PA?

Last edited:

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I'm on my 2nd Eagle unit, I had no issues with a warranty return. Got a replacement unit right away. Quality is 'OK', value is very good.
Any alternator installed on a cobra will have it's life span shortened by the high heat. The diodes and regulator are right next to exhaust #5, and airflow is limited. Yes it is possible to get and externally regulated unit, but they are not cheap. Instead of spending a pile of money on a high quality alternator, I have attempted to address the heat issues with a heat shield and a cooling duct, and have a 2nd spare alternator ready when the Eagle takes a dump. When it does (it is out of warranty now), I will have it rebuilt locally for a spare.

This solution works for me as my cobra is not my DD, or my only vehicle. I don't take it on long trips. I can swap alternators in <30 min. If reliability is much more important than cost then get a quality unit.

I'm curious about output of the Eagle unit at idle. I will measure and see what it really is.

Users who are viewing this thread