ebay alternator- 160 AMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
01cobravortech, any updates on the performance of your Ford Racing Alternator?

I've read a few really good threads on alternators and right now the 10 year warranty of the Mechman has me leaning, but is more than double the cost of this Ford Racing "said to be new/not reman" alternator.

Would be nice to see reviews of others who have put more miles/time on this Ford Racing alt to see if it is a viable option.

Referencing ->

I haven't been driving it over the past 3 weeks due to replacing my clutch and now AC compressor issue. However will be driving the car again next week in this great heatwave. I currently have about 3300 miles on the FR alternator. Voltage is where it needs to be at the moment. I will definitely let you folks know if it doesn't make it to 40k. At least that's the minimum I'm hoping to get from this alternator. Worst case scenario, I'll finally spring for the Mechman.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
:beer:
I hope others also keep updating the thread with how theirs are doing and how many miles they are putting on them. As these cars get older...parts will become obsolete and hopefully we are left with some options for parts like alternators. Otherwise, its time to upgrade to a better and more modern ride, like a GTR!

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Put my eagle alt in when I pulled it out of winter storage. Lasted all of 4 months and 3,000miles. Save you money guys and don't buy these.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
:beer:
I hope others also keep updating the thread with how theirs are doing and how many miles they are putting on them.

I'm going to provide an update on my voltage issue as soon as I get back on the dyno here shortly. The theory I'm subscribing to at the moment is the stock alt pulley is to small from the factory on day one... adding any mods, even light ones ( with no lower) exasterbate the issue. Hoping to have definitive results before and after swapping a larger alt pulley on the dyno.

As these cars get older...parts will become obsolete and hopefully we are left with some options for parts like alternators. Otherwise, its time to upgrade to a better and more modern ride, like a GTR!

Godzilla is definitely on my list. Im going through the list one car at a time and the Terminator was on it for the last decade and glad I finally got one! :dancenana: ... now if we can put this stupid alt issue to bed once and for all we'll be set. We shouldn't need a $600 alternator for lightly modded Cobras to run properly.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I got a 160amp alternator from Start n Charge. Just got it all back together and running a couple weeks ago. I seems to be charging very well.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I'm going to provide an update on my voltage issue as soon as I get back on the dyno here shortly. The theory I'm subscribing to at the moment is the stock alt pulley is to small from the factory on day one... adding any mods, even light ones ( with no lower) exasterbate the issue. Hoping to have definitive results before and after swapping a larger alt pulley on the dyno.

Looks like an older thread has some good info along the same vein.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/675089-found-cure-our-alternator-woes.html

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
01cobravortech, I'm taking a page out of your book and am going to give the Ford Racing 130 amp alt a go + putting on a 3.2 Metco alt pulley which will hopefully help prevent damaging the new alternator from overspinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01cobravortech
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...sc46/overview/

http://fordracingparts123.com/engine...FUJa4AodJSwAFg

Ford Racing Mustang Alternator - 130 Amp (03-04 Cobra) M-10300-SC46 - Free Shipping!

I wanted to go with a 160 amp alt and would have ordered a Start N Charge but they are back ordered on parts for the next month or so and I didn't want to wait.

Hoping to avoid the big coin on a Mechman if I can for now, but only time will tell?

I'm going to try and rig up some type of air flow to the alt utilizing the hole next the drivers side fog light. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

01cobravortech, I'm taking a page out of your book and am going to give the Ford Racing 130 amp alt a go + putting on a 3.2 Metco alt pulley which will hopefully help prevent damaging the new alternator from overspinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01cobravortech
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...sc46/overview/

http://fordracingparts123.com/engine...FUJa4AodJSwAFg

Ford Racing Mustang Alternator - 130 Amp (03-04 Cobra) M-10300-SC46 - Free Shipping!

I wanted to go with a 160 amp alt and would have ordered a Start N Charge but they are back ordered on parts for the next month or so and I didn't want to wait.

Hoping to avoid the big coin on a Mechman if I can for now, but only time will tell?

I'm going to try and rig up some type of air flow to the alt utilizing the hole next the drivers side fog light. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Good to hear my friend. I'm still running the stock size pulley on my Ford Racing alternator. I may go with the 3.0 pulley soon on alternator, as Metco suggested. I haven't because the car is putting out proper voltage and is making +14.0v at WOT. So I know my pumps are ok.

I've never done any type of modding in terms of routing more air flow towards the alternator. Its actually quite a challenge given the tight quarters we are working with. But glad to hear you'll be providing additional feedback. :beer:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Looks like my oem alternator is taking a dump

Idle volts drop to 12.7-12.9 after car warms up. bottom 12s at WOT.

I run 3 pumps and a big trunk-mounted intercooler pump so I need a bigger alt.

Anyone with the ebay "BNR 200amp" still running? Any failures with the unit?

Seems that eagle ones are hit and miss.

mustang john

Established Member
Anyone with the ebay "BNR 200amp" still running? Any failures with the unit?

Seems that eagle ones are hit and miss.

I have that alt, so far so good but i only have a few hundred miles on it. Checked it with my voltmeter several times and so far its a rock steady 14.1-14.2 volts at idle and revved in neutral reguardless of what accesories or loads are on.

I also did add an upgraded 4 guage power wire when i did the alt.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member

Good to hear my friend. I'm still running the stock size pulley on my Ford Racing alternator. I may go with the 3.0 pulley soon on alternator, as Metco suggested. I haven't because the car is putting out proper voltage and is making +14.0v at WOT. So I know my pumps are ok.

I've never done any type of modding in terms of routing more air flow towards the alternator. Its actually quite a challenge given the tight quarters we are working with. But glad to hear you'll be providing additional feedback. :beer:

01cobravortech, got the Ford Racing Alt installed with a 3.2 Metco pulley and put it on the dyno to verify tune and it showed voltage was good (as expected of a new alt).

Now the real test comes with getting some miles on the alt and seeing how it performs.

I'm going to need to record some data log files now while the alt is new so we have a baseline and then record some logs at different intervals.

Last edited:
01cobravortech, got the Ford Racing Alt installed with a 3.2 Metco pulley and put it on the dyno to verify tune and it showed voltage was good (as expected of a new alt).

Now the real test comes with getting some miles on the alt and seeing how it performs.

I'm going to need to record some data log files now while the alt is new so we have a baseline and then record some logs at different intervals.

Good to hear my friend. :beer: You're smarter than me. You took Metco's advice and went with a bigger pulley. I'm still doing my own 'testing' to see how many miles I get out of this FRPP alternator with the stock pulley size.

I'm hoping you exceed 50k with that bigger pulley.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
You took Metco's advice and went with a bigger pulley.

Well, sort of. Ed @ Ed's Speed Shop called Metco for me to find out what they recommend on stock lower cars and Metco said they recommend going with the 3.0 alt pulley.

On my own accord, I went ahead with the 3.2 in case I decided to upgrade my lower down the road since others had reported no issues running this size pulley with a stock lower.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Here is a pic of the spec sheet that came with the alt.
9118171f.jpg

The output of the Ebay 160a at 1600 RPM is laughable! I guess that's what you get for $140. Good luck! I just received a Mechman 170a unit and at 800rpm it's 151a and 1800rpm 172a.

31_zpsd6b86fdf.gif

Well, sort of. Ed @ Ed's Speed Shop called Metco for me to find out what they recommend on stock lower cars and Metco said they recommend going with the 3.0 alt pulley.

On my own accord, I went ahead with the 3.2 in case I decided to upgrade my lower down the road since others had reported no issues running this size pulley with a stock lower.

Have you tested the voltage output at WOT? I'm curious what you're seeing with a slightly bigger pulley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread