ebay alternator- 160 AMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Bought the power wire upgrade from Lethal, its a PA part. Its a nice 4 guage wire upgrade with a 200A fuse built into it to replace the fusible link you remove when installing it.

PA Performance 99-04 GT 4 Gauge Power Wire Upgrade Kit - Alternators - Ignition - 03-04 SVT Cobra

The alternator I bought from Start N Charge included a 2 gauge, 200 AMP fused, power wire kit. I am assuming that is still the case, but it has been over 3 years since I bought it.

Here is his old thread on Mod Fords Linky.

-Brian

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Its actually alot nice than the pic shows, and the fuse im sure is half the cost. What is $50 if it helps (even if its only a tiny bit) keep you from melting down a motor due to low voltage?

Anyone have an email / contact for Jamie at Start n Charge?

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
Anyone have an email / contact for Jamie at Start n Charge?

Hello,stock 110 amp $200 or 160amp which includes #2 AWG battery upgrade cable $250.Both are new,no core needed plus $20 shipping.Thanks...Jamie
509-447-0289 Pacific time.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Hello,stock 110 amp $200 or 160amp which includes #2 AWG battery upgrade cable $250.Both are new,no core needed plus $20 shipping.Thanks...Jamie
509-447-0289 Pacific time.

Thanks, Jamie...

I tried an email I got for you over on the Mod-fords forum, but it bounced back.

To install the upgraded power wire, do I have to cut or permanantly alter my factory harness?

RussZTT

Established Member
The alternator I bought from Start N Charge included a 2 gauge, 200 AMP fused, power wire kit. I am assuming that is still the case, but it has been over 3 years since I bought it.

Here is his old thread on Mod Fords Linky.

-Brian
Damn, he's banned.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I believe your has a 2.9 pullet IIRC.

Did you require any modifications or spacers on your alternator install?

And yes it does matter that your Ebay alt died at 1k. Was that a 160amp Ebay alt? Thanks for posting that.

Yes , I bought the 160amp alternator the guy sells on ebay. I didn't add a larger pulley either though, but either way 1K at most I got out of it.

As for the mechman alternator I have now, It did require spacers although they claimed it didnt, no big deal but still. I had to add a few spacers where the long top bolt goes, and a small spacer behind the pulley itself to get it alinged correctly. It was throwing my belt off just a tad.

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
Thanks, Jamie...

I tried an email I got for you over on the Mod-fords forum, but it bounced back.

To install the upgraded power wire, do I have to cut or permanantly alter my factory harness?

Ahhh, I am not Jaime... I pm,d him hers two days ago as my alt took a shit also... his user name here is startncharge...

SVTDice

Established Member
Well guys a little update. My alternator I THINK is on its way out. But I need to do some testing.

When on a cold start I still get 13.8 Volts or so. But after it warms up and drives around a bit my volt's start dropping in this Florida summer heat. around 12.2-12-14 ish area with my A/C on idle AND crusing.. It was 85+ today so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. The car feels "Fine" but honestly I'm not sure. Has anybody else noticed if there voltage is low as well? I'm not sure but after this I may just try to get a alternator with a lifetime warranty or try to rebuild this one. Either way this one has less then 10k miles on it and needless to say if this one goes I'm kind of disappointed. I thought it LOOKED like a quality unit but I guess looks can be deceiving. Oh well.

Mystic03

Established Member
Well guys a little update. My alternator I THINK is on its way out. But I need to do some testing.

When on a cold start I still get 13.8 Volts or so. But after it warms up and drives around a bit my volt's start dropping in this Florida summer heat. around 12.2-12-14 ish area with my A/C on idle AND crusing.. It was 85+ today so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. The car feels "Fine" but honestly I'm not sure. Has anybody else noticed if there voltage is low as well? I'm not sure but after this I may just try to get a alternator with a lifetime warranty or try to rebuild this one. Either way this one has less then 10k miles on it and needless to say if this one goes I'm kind of disappointed. I thought it LOOKED like a quality unit but I guess looks can be deceiving. Oh well.

what kind of alt. stock or ebay "eagle electronics"? i had one brand new and first crank it had a 12.2volts at ilde and at wot had 13.8 so i figured maybe the tune will help out...nope after the tune still 12.2-13.5 cruising my lights would flicker etc... but no battery light. so i put in my stock alt in and first idle sit 14.2V eagle electronic alternators are JUNK!

long story short with the car running take a DMM meter and check the connections on the battery if at idle its anywhere under 13.8V your alt is going out it should be 14.0 or higher all the time

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
what kind of alt. stock or ebay "eagle electronics"? i had one brand new and first crank it had a 12.2volts at ilde and at wot had 13.8 so i figured maybe the tune will help out...nope after the tune still 12.2-13.5 cruising my lights would flicker etc... but no battery light. so i put in my stock alt in and first idle sit 14.2V eagle electronic alternators are JUNK!

long story short with the car running take a DMM meter and check the connections on the battery if at idle its anywhere under 13.8V your alt is going out it should be 14.0 or higher all the time

I've noticed a flicker here and there with my lights but didnt think anything of it. My Eagleauto alternator has NEVER been above 14 volts. Ever, Not since day one. But from what I noticed the warmer the car gets. The lower the volts. So I dunno. I'm really stuck, I'm going to do more testing tomorrow and hope for the best. If not I guess ill buy myself something with a lifetime warranty. Either way I'm pissed.

Also I just noticed I've had this alternator EXACTLY for a year. El o El.

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
lifetime warranty= lifetime of replacing ... autozone alternators are junk.. I had to replace the one in my focus twice already.... in two years

Mystic03

Established Member
I've noticed a flicker here and there with my lights but didnt think anything of it. My Eagleauto alternator has NEVER been above 14 volts. Ever, Not since day one. But from what I noticed the warmer the car gets. The lower the volts. So I dunno. I'm really stuck, I'm going to do more testing tomorrow and hope for the best. If not I guess ill buy myself something with a lifetime warranty. Either way I'm pissed.

Also I just noticed I've had this alternator EXACTLY for a year. El o El.

i can tell you right now its your alternator, nothin beats stock alt! :lol1:. like i said i never saw my eagle alternator above 13.5V and that alternator literally has less than 500miles on it. my stocker has 90K swapped back and 14v where it should be if i get another alt i will take it to a reputable alternator repair shop.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
When my current alternator bites the dust, I am going to stop playing around and just do this, which utilizes a 99-01 Cobra, or 03-04 Mach 1 alternator.

1234.jpg

Lighter, saves weight, and should enable the alternator to last longer. It is a little bit of work....but I feel it would be worth it.

SVTDice

Established Member
lifetime warranty= lifetime of replacing ... autozone alternators are junk.. I had to replace the one in my focus twice already.... in two years

Yeah, That sucks. But honestly I'm more worried about the money aspect then the labor. I replaced my last one no problem. I just don't feel like dropping 140 bucks a pop a year.

i can tell you right now its your alternator, nothin beats stock alt! :lol1:. like i said i never saw my eagle alternator above 13.5V and that alternator literally has less than 500miles on it. my stocker has 90K swapped back and 14v where it should be if i get another alt i will take it to a reputable alternator repair shop.

Yeah, Oh well. That's what I'm thinking of doing. Going to a alternator shop and have them rebuild it with the highest quality parts they can get and see how that goes. But will it last is the question? 10 years of these cars and we still have not found a cure for this stuff. Lovely.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I am gonna order one today. I noticed my car was leaning out up top around 5500rpm. Took it in for a tune and it turns out the voltage is dropping into the 11's around 5300rpm and the fuel pumps are going to 100% duty cycle and fuel pressure is dropping. All from an alternator lol.

Thanks for posting this. Had my car on the dyno and data log showed low voltage at high rpm coupled with the fuel pump 100% duty cycle. Also the MAF was maxed out.

I wonder if the alternator is the culprit and would fix the duty cycle issue of the fuel pump?

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
Yeah, That sucks. But honestly I'm more worried about the money aspect then the labor. I replaced my last one no problem. I just don't feel like dropping 140 bucks a pop a year.

Yeah, Oh well. That's what I'm thinking of doing. Going to a alternator shop and have them rebuild it with the highest quality parts they can get and see how that goes. But will it last is the question? 10 years of these cars and we still have not found a cure for this stuff. Lovely.

my stock one is still rockin...ive had my car since 05 and havent started the serious mods untill 60K and now im at 90 and drove it lastnight with zero problems :rockon:

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Got over 3k so its promising...

01cobravortech, any updates on the performance of your Ford Racing Alternator?

I've read a few really good threads on alternators and right now the 10 year warranty of the Mechman has me leaning, but is more than double the cost of this Ford Racing "said to be new/not reman" alternator.

Would be nice to see reviews of others who have put more miles/time on this Ford Racing alt to see if it is a viable option.

Referencing ->

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
So i finally got my Nation's alternator installed about 2 months ago and it's great so far. One thing i have in my car that most cobra owners do not is a audio setup with 1800 watts rms. My buddy who recommended it has had his in the car for 2 years and also my cousin has one that he has been using for about 6 months now. The unit i have is the externally regulated version. Adam is extremely helpful and sells a solid product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread