Eaton swapped Mach 1: IS IT SAFE???

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
It would be a mod that you won't regret. Like anything else you are taking a chance but the key like everyone else has said is getting a good tuner to tune it. You can run 8-12 psi no problem on the stock bottom. :beer:

Im not sure about 12psi. The max i would go is 10. Anything pass that your on borrowed time IMO.

cbr repsol

Established Member
you will be fine to 450 rwhp,although if u get boost greed you will throw a rod or possibly melt a piston. Mach motors come with 10 to 1 compression pistions that way too much for supercharged applications you will be limited no more than 9-10 psi

cbr repsol

Established Member
I wouldnt say thay are crappy internals I beat the piss out of my 03 mach1 I used to own. The crank is fine its forged. Weak link pistons and rods. I was going to tear down the motor and hone the cylinders and put in cobra manly pistons and rods. There ya have it aluminum cobra motor ready for lots of boost. I never got around to it and sold the car. But I did buy a 04 cobra

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Im sure I wont regret it, unless the motor pops...I wouldnt think that much boost would last long on a Mach motor though?

BTW, on a side note, what wheels are u running? They look GREAT!!!

Im surprised u actually got keith to give u advice on your car. He usually hangs up the phone pretty quick. His customer service SUCKS!!!! HE knows his chit though, but I would recommend AED over FFP!!!

Im well aware of the high compression & the crappy internals therfore I dont plan on boosting more than 8 psi....

Those wheels are SSR GT3s.

I did the swap and like Mach1USMC said i had alot of the parts but when it came to doing the swap there were alot of small pieces missing. What held me back was waiting for nuts and bolts and gaskets that had to be special ordered directly from Ford. Just keep in mind that even if you think you have every part, you'll most likely wont.

Good luck.

Epikmach

Established Member
I wouldnt say thay are crappy internals I beat the piss out of my 03 mach1 I used to own. The crank is fine its forged. Weak link pistons and rods. I was going to tear down the motor and hone the cylinders and put in cobra manly pistons and rods. There ya have it aluminum cobra motor ready for lots of boost. I never got around to it and sold the car. But I did buy a 04 cobra

The crank is fine, but how often do u hear about a modular crank being the cause of failure in a boosted application? Its usually the pistons & rods...

Epikmach

Established Member
yes thats what I said, you must of read my post too fast.

I know u posted that, I was just replying that I was well aware of what was inside my engine LOL!!! Aluminum block Cobra motor is my dream & is what Ford sholud've did to begin with to cut down some of the 03/04 Cobras weight....

cbr repsol

Established Member
I just didnt like the crappy 3650 that ford put into the mach.I had it in the shop all the time for that damn trans. It was real skippy on the street with the solid. I love my irs in my cobra.

Epikmach

Established Member
I just didnt like the crappy 3650 that ford put into the mach.I had it in the shop all the time for that damn trans. It was real skippy on the street with the solid. I love my irs in my cobra.

Yeah, I hate the 3650 as well. Its so darn notchy & half the time it wont go into 1st from a stop without going from 2nd & then to 1st.... IRS ride quality is great, but wheel hop sucks...

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
DONT DO IT!

jk.

Actually i've had the swap for a few thousand miles now and honestly i dont regret one thing about it. My mods are pretty basic, exhaust, tune, JLT RAI, stock pulley and i made the numbers in my sig.

I also have 03/04 cobra fuel setup. From what i've read/heard our motors can handle around 450 without a problem. When I did the swap I was in the same boat as you, did not want to risk my motor going boom because i do not have the extra funds for a built motor. As long as you have a good fuel setup and a great tuner and keep the numbers under 450 you should be fine.

+1

The only problem I have know is my crappy transmission and even crappier clutches.

Nineonesix

Established Member
I wanted a roots type blower on my mach as well, but mine is an auto...Will not having a forge crank make that big of a difference?

I heard kennebell makes a kit for our cars, but I was also thinking procharger as well.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i know its already been thoroughly discussed in here, just wanted to say i had my 99 with the eaton setup on for over a year. i even sold it like that and its still running strong to my knowledge. numbers are in sig....

I wanted a roots type blower on my mach as well, but mine is an auto...Will not having a forge crank make that big of a difference?

I heard kennebell makes a kit for our cars, but I was also thinking procharger as well.
i think if you're just gonna run the stock 8psi pulley the crank will be fine. the rods will break before the crank bends at 450rwhp....

Epikmach

Established Member
i know its already been thoroughly discussed in here, just wanted to say i had my 99 with the eaton setup on for over a year. i even sold it like that and its still running strong to my knowledge. numbers are in sig....

i think if you're just gonna run the stock 8psi pulley the crank will be fine. the rods will break before the crank bends at 450rwhp....

Thanks again for the info...:beer: Those were some pretty stout numbers...

Users who are viewing this thread