Eaton swap question

brucesvt

Established Member
I have a 96 cobra what I am thinking of doing a Eaton swap on. My question is it. Difficult ?
I just just did an engine swap on it last year to a aviator motor and was thinking of doing this swap.
Or should just leave it alone lol
IMG_9773.jpg
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app[

Last edited:

Saleen498

Established Member
If you do decide on the eaton swap, A buddy of mine up here in mass has a full swap kit. I only know because I was looking for intercooler brackets and he refused to break the kit up

brucesvt

Established Member
If you do decide on the eaton swap, A buddy of mine up here in mass has a full swap kit. I only know because I was looking for intercooler brackets and he refused to break the kit up

Send me price. I am still on the fence since this has been 5 yr project that needs to get done already(wife’s words. Lol)

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
It's worth it depending on if you can buy a true complete kit. Worst part is having to grind the knock sensor mounts off in the intake valley. I did one and was happy with it. Never had any issues and it made 417/389 rwhp/rwtq at 11.7 AFR, 8#s of boost and 12* timing. Car had mid 400s for hp and low 400s for torque, but I wanted safe and reliable instead of a dyno number. Couple things to remember when doing the swap. You need to wire up your alternator plug to match the 03 cobra, you need to wire up your IAT1 harness to work with the IAT2 sensor. Our cars only have the IAT1, in the air intake, but you want to run the IAT2 sensor in the lower intake with an eaton swap as it's a better reading of intake temps.

Would I do another one? Probably not. The cost has gone way up and some parts are getting harder and harder to find for it. Now I'd go with a used Procharger kit I think. It's much simpler to install and produces the same power.

brucesvt

Established Member
It's worth it depending on if you can buy a true complete kit. Worst part is having to grind the knock sensor mounts off in the intake valley. I did one and was happy with it. Never had any issues and it made 417/389 rwhp/rwtq at 11.7 AFR, 8#s of boost and 12* timing. Car had mid 400s for hp and low 400s for torque, but I wanted safe and reliable instead of a dyno number. Couple things to remember when doing the swap. You need to wire up your alternator plug to match the 03 cobra, you need to wire up your IAT1 harness to work with the IAT2 sensor. Our cars only have the IAT1, in the air intake, but you want to run the IAT2 sensor in the lower intake with an eaton swap as it's a better reading of intake temps.

Would I do another one? Probably not. The cost has gone way up and some parts are getting harder and harder to find for it. Now I'd go with a used Procharger kit I think. It's much simpler to install and produces the same power.

Thanks for input. I was wondering would it be more cost effective to just do a pro charger kit instead of a swapping to a 20yr old set up.(I feel old saying that lol)

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for input. I was wondering would it be more cost effective to just do a pro charger kit instead of a swapping to a 20yr old set up.(I feel old saying that lol)

I'd do it again. But I also did it 10 years ago and it cost me under 3K to do the swap. Makes 440 rwhp (stock boost) and went from running 13.3 stock to 12.0. I personally like the reliability that comes with using factory parts.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I dailyed my 01 for years with a centri with no issues. Aside from needing more tires than normal.

I think hood clearance might be an issue with the 96 too.

01vert

Established Member
Have a procharger now on mine. Fun as the revs go up and tuned safely. No torque hit down low so a little easier on internals iirc. But after this I have a forged long block and an Eaton swap sitting in the garage for when I have time to get it all done. If you want 425-450 a used procharger kit is stupid simple to install matched to the Eaton swap.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Eaton swaps are getting pricey. Especially when you consider the parts are 20 years old at this point and they're never as complete as the seller claims. A Vortech is the way to go these days.

Users who are viewing this thread