Eaton Supercharger Porting Comparison: Boost or Pulley

Eaton Supercharger Porting Comparison: Boost or Pulley?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zonk22

Established Member
I vote pulley (assuming that there is no internal gearing differences). I think we should only compare impeller speed.

Jroc

Established Member
I'm trying to understand the question?

PSI for PSI a car with a aftermarket lower will make more lowend torque than a upper only car, and the most likely reason is because the lighter aftermarket lower has less enertia.

I think that has something to do with the question you have presented.

cobracide

Established Member
There are a couple ways we can attempt to "equalize" different ported superchargers to acertain which one makes the most power.

1) Use the exact same pulleys on each supercharger and assume that the gearing for each is exactly the same. This would also then assume that the rotational speed of the supercharger is exactly the same for each. Would these assumptions be correct? I doubt it since the sieg. sb TM has been shown to probably have a front snout re-gear. This would invalidate this method of evaluation. Since we are unsure, let's move to option (2).

2) Match the boost levels on the superchargers.

You bring a valid point on the upper - lower comparison. A front nose re-gear would be equivalent to an upper only pulley. So, with that in mind - I suggest that we would keep the equivalent lower pulley on all superchargers and use the upper pulley for matching the boost levels. There is no doubt that it would be encouraged to use a 2 or 4 lb lower because most people with a port are using some sort of lower pulley. A full comparison would dyno all the superchargers at different boost levels. I know this is not really possible so there would have to a boost level chosen. I was thinking 15.5 lbs would fall right around the middle of where most people are with ported setups (15 - 16 lbs).

Does that make more sense?

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Rotor speed should be the exact same on both (someone pointed that out to me)

or

at least boost for boost worse case scenario

fenix420

Established Member
boost for boost is the only way to get any useful info. and i really wanna see how it turns out so i can decide which i want to go with!

f2hatch

Established Member
boost for boost is the only way to get any useful info. and i really wanna see how it turns out so i can decide which i want to go with!

+1 For boost for boost. This way would help me decide.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Boost vs. boost is the test I would like to see. I have zero interest in seeing how a 13 - 14 psi boosted car compares against a 17 psi boosted car (with all other factors equal).

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just so you guys know, boost is not the best factor to judge performance by. You want to match rotor speed. Boost itself is a factor in the output performance of the blowers, taking it out of the equation gives unfair assistance to the weaker port.

futureSVT

Established Member
I say both... why not make everyone happy and see how much greater the IATs are when the snakebite is at a higher psi.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
:pop::pop: I voted pulleys for rotor speed. I thought a good port sould lower boost and temps while increasing power? :shrug:

945LSTANG

Established Member
i personally would like to see a comparison with equal impeller speeds, but im no expert. which ever one can most accurately tell me which port is more effective is the test i want to see.

halflife

Established Member
this is beating a dead horse. steg is never going to go boost for boost because their flux capacitor is located in the snout. why not do a snout swap. steig snout sb port, then pull the snout off and put a posi case on it. this way you dont have to worry about pulley ratio and you can see who really has the best port job. or just leave the sb out of the test and go stock snout port to stock snout port.

dynobobstieg

Just so you guys know, boost is not the best factor to judge performance by. You want to match rotor speed. Boost itself is a factor in the output performance of the blowers, taking it out of the equation gives unfair assistance to the weaker port.

This what we have been saying. We are testing today on the Dyno Jet and the SXF 1000 blower Dyno.
Stiegemeier
StiegeSplash
636-949-2275

Thank you

cobracide

Established Member
You mean the SXF-1000 Supercharger Flow-Test machine, designed and built by John Favazza and Bob Stiegemeier? Are you matching impeller speed, boost or something else?

slowmoving1

Established Member
both posi and stiegemeier should be able to change gears.
posi can change his blower speed if he wants to, so same pulley can be used:shrug:

If both can port blower's both should be able to handle the gear change.

I think this would also be fair. just my .02 cents

Users who are viewing this thread