Eaton oil change writeup (pics)

palehorse

Established Member
Hey, I am no expert, and that is why I asked the stupid question. I since have looked at other post that indicated fully synthetic 10w 30.

However, I e-mailed Stiegmeir and specifically asked if they used mobil 10w 30 synthetic and he cordially did not answer my question only stateing that a blower port comes with new oil.

I called tech at eaton and after he told me it did not need to be changed for 180,000 miles, I asked if I was going to change it, I had heard that the oil in them from eaton is basically 10w 30 synthetic and his reply was "absolutely not." He then proceed to tell me that I can get it at gm or ford but gm usually carries where ford may not.

I don't know what any of this means about if 10w 30 is ok better or worse to use, but I thought I would pass on the information. Maybe Stiegmeir will come on and directly answer the question of what oil he uses when he does a blower port. What he says would be good enough for me even if it differed from what eaton recommends.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
I used the blower oil that you can get at a GM parts counter. My local Ford dealer did not have it in stock and they were $1-$2 more than the GM guys.

jvert

Established Member
Great write up I just finished my oil change for my eaton. Boy did the oil smell bad! I put in Mobil 1 full synthetic oil 10w/30 for the winter while it sits. Then I ordered supercharger oil from

http://www.pulleyboys.com/

Good stuff. Thanks again the next thing I plan to do is the fuel filter change.

You guys sure this blower stores 8 oz. of oil? I changed it todaya nd I don't think I got that much out and I certainly didn't put that much back in. My car was level and I kept shooting oil back in until it started to come out of the drain hole, which in turn I quickly plugged. And when I was removing the blower I was shoving that hose in there in every imaginable angle trying to make sure I sucked out all the oil. Now I'm wondering if I still have a lot of old oil in there and I used 10w - 30. I'm pissed.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
You guys sure this blower stores 8 oz. of oil? I changed it todaya nd I don't think I got that much out and I certainly didn't put that much back in. My car was level and I kept shooting oil back in until it started to come out of the drain hole, which in turn I quickly plugged. And when I was removing the blower I was shoving that hose in there in every imaginable angle trying to make sure I sucked out all the oil. Now I'm wondering if I still have a lot of old oil in there and I used 10w - 30. I'm pissed.

My S/C oil was originally replaced when the 2.8 pulley was installed about a year ago(10,000 miles ago). I went ahead and did it again just yesterday while I was changing other fluids. I was only able to take 6 oz. out and put only 6 oz. back in. I used Mobil 1 10W-30 and will change it once a year or so to be safe.

Later...Dave

Tractionless1

Established Member
Motor oil sees rpms of normally 6-9k maybe max, depending on the vehicle. Your blower if you (over)pulley it can see 20,000 rpm!! You really want motor oil in there? Not me. If Stieg sends my Eaton back with Motor oil in it I will be dumping it out and putting the right lube back in. I specifically directed them to use only supercharger spec. oil supplied by GM or Ford. I'll be glad to pay the difference for the right stuff. Their webpage states they refill with blower specific oil.

IllBeBack

Terminator
Established Member
supercharger oil

Hey, I am no expert, and that is why I asked the stupid question. I since have looked at other post that indicated fully synthetic 10w 30.

However, I e-mailed Stiegmeir and specifically asked if they used mobil 10w 30 synthetic and he cordially did not answer my question only stateing that a blower port comes with new oil.

I called tech at eaton and after he told me it did not need to be changed for 180,000 miles, I asked if I was going to change it, I had heard that the oil in them from eaton is basically 10w 30 synthetic and his reply was "absolutely not." He then proceed to tell me that I can get it at gm or ford but gm usually carries where ford may not.

I don't know what any of this means about if 10w 30 is ok better or worse to use, but I thought I would pass on the information. Maybe Stiegmeir will come on and directly answer the question of what oil he uses when he does a blower port. What he says would be good enough for me even if it differed from what eaton recommends.

The oil I use for my ported Eaton is the "Motorcraft Synthetic Supercharger Fluid". It comes in 4 ounce bottles, so I had to order 2. Each was about $30. I bought them from the Ford dealership's parts department.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead as I'm a new owner of an 04 vert.....and i just pullied to a 2.76. Even though the car only has 14K on the clock, I decided since it's nearing 5 years old, and I'm spinning the blower a lot harder than the stock pulley, I'd change the eaton oil.

I searched and searched for genuine ford motorcraft supercharger oil, mainly because I'm a paranoid kind of owner. I wanted to see this ford replacement fluid in person before throwing 10/30 mobil one as a "alternative". I called my local ford dealer, they had zero in stock, but could get it for $28/4 ounce bottle! I thought that was highway robbery and the parts dude recommended a local vendor called Arnold Oil Company. Call them up, and sure enough they two bottles in stock and for only $14 each! I got down there as fast as possible and gobbled them up. 2 bottles for the same price as one from the dealer...go figure :nonono:

Now to the comparison part....I'm sitting here right now rotating this bottle of ford genuine oil (part # XL-4 by the way) and there is NO WAY this is anywhere near the consistency of 10/30 mobil one! It's way thinner appearing sloshing around in this bottle, almost water like in comparison. Here's what the bottle looks like:

IMG_1621.JPG

any of you 10/30 changing owners had any issues with the blower? :shrug:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
ok i did the swap last night. I wiggled the syringe/tubing into as many crevaces of that blower as I could find. Varying the distance I went it. I measured what came out and it was about 7.75 ounces.

bad news...couldn't get over 6.5 back in! :shrug: it kept coming back out. I recapped the plug, turn the motor over to allow the blower to spin, let it settle for half an hour and tried again. Oil came releasing out of the fill hole. I squeezed as much back in as possible, resealed the plug fast! Checked it the next morning, fluid came oozing out before I had unthreaded the plug all the way. Resealed her :shrug:

I've romped on the car and the blower sounds just fine. Same as before. I'm thinking the factory fill is probably a little bit "overfull", as I've not seen or heard any blower damage. Car runs great.

My only thought was to possibly drive the front wheels on ramps and change the angle of the car, possibly allowing the inside level to slide below the fill hole and allow more in. :shrug:

fug...sucks being the paranoid type :poke: :cryying:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
:lol:

I drove the fronts on ramps when I got home today. It made no difference, still had a drop of oil seep through before I got the plug even near the last thread. car ran great all day, I probably put 30 miles on it. no weird blower noises. all i can do is monitor the situation, I'm drive'in her :kaboom: :-D

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I just did mine before the dyno meet at Yimi Motorsports...

Only 5 nasty and smelly ounces came out and the full 8 ounces went back in.

:shrug:

This is the 3rd time changing the oil since I bought the car, first change was with the GM fluid and it did not look bad after 10,000 miles with the 2.8 pulley. I used Mobile 1 10W-30 to re-fill it and after 7,000 miles or so it was spent (totally broken down). I didn't have the GM or OEM stuff last week, so I used Mobile 1 once again until I can get the good stuff. I can promise you it won't be in there for 7,000 miles again, not after seeing what it looked like.

I'm switchin' back to real blower oil but only using Mobile 1 in a pinch. If any of you go the Mobile 1 route, change it at every oil change (3,000 miles)...especially if you are pulley equipped. That Eaton spins like a mofo and IMO, it'll break down the motor oil much quicker then the blower oil.

Good luck...

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
so where do we get the "good" blower oil?

Ford or GM dealerships...OEM Ford stuff is fine but the GM fluid is much cheaper.

I ran the GM stuff and I was fine!!! Like I said in the above post, IMO the "real" blower oils seem to hold up to the pulley equipped Eaton much better than Mobile 1. I'm just going by the condition of my oil when it was removed, no scientific testing mind you...just a visual comparison between GM's fluid after 10,000 and Mobile 1 after 7,000 with a 2.8.

:beer:

Later...Dave

jerardogav

Established Member
GM oil is the same as the Ford supercharger oil just that ford is overpriced. GM cars have eaton superchargers same as ford, so same thing just the price. I heard the Mobil 1 15W50 works good also had that recommended by DMP.

Users who are viewing this thread