Eaton gears wearing out? whining noise coming from back of blower

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
recently my cobra has developed a new noise. it started 2 days ago. its making a "whining" noise, and its definately NOT normal (and of course is NOT the normal "whine" we are all used to). the noise seems like its coming from towards the back of the eaton. it gets louder with RPM, and its there whether i get into boost or not. you can hear it the best when i drive the car for the first time of the day, or if the car is not warmed up. eventually after about 20 minutes of driving, it quiets down enough that you really have to strain your ears to hear it..but its still there.

i have done some searching on here, and on google, and havent came up with much.

i know for sure this is NOT the TOB squeel....i know what that sounds like, since i just replaced my clutch not long ago, because of the TOB...and this is not a squeel like that. this is more of a whine. i dont think its an idler or anything because as i mentioned earlier, when i put my head/ear by the belt/blower, i hear the noise best towards the back of the blower, and no noise coming from the belt/idler area at all.

i changed the oil in my eaton about 6 months or so ago. the noise just started 2 days ago, so i dont know if the oil has anything to do with it or not? i was thinking about going ahead and changing the oil in it again tho, once i get home from work today, in hopes that it solved the issue.

any of you eaton pro's ever came across anything like this? have any suggestions that i could try?

is it possible somehow the gears have become mis-aligned?

any and all help/responses are greatly appreciated!

edit: also wanted to add that the car still makes and hold boost with no problem, and there seem to be no issues or any other problems that this is causing (other than the noise it has started making).

Last edited:

futureSVT

Established Member
id pop the belt off real quick to make sure its 100% the eaton. also while the belt is off you can turn the eaton by hand and see if there is any free play in the gearing. also there are two bearings in the back of the eaton that the roters sit in. One of the bearings could have gone bad.

dynobobstieg

Could be the rotor's hitting the case or the back bearings but we do not see too many back bearings go out. How many miles on the supercharger and what pulley setup?
Stiegemeier:burnout:
StiegeSplash
636-949-2275

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Take the belt off and see if you can feel any resistance turning it by hand. It looks like I might have found a place to get replacement needle bearings and if so and it's the rear bearings I'll get you fixed up.

Or you can take the blower apart yourself, clean bearings, add new grease, and see how it acts. Pretty rare for the needle bearings for the rotors to go out.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Could be the rotor's hitting the case or the back bearings but we do not see too many back bearings go out. How many miles on the supercharger and what pulley setup?
Stiegemeier:burnout:
StiegeSplash
636-949-2275

still the stock eaton that came on the car, which is my DD with around 85k miles so far. its only been pullied for a little less than a year though, with a 2.8 upper only. all idlers are still stock. i know i need to get them switched out for some that arent prone to fail, just havent got around to it yet.

i guess im going to try to take the belt off tomorrow and spin the blower by hand and see what happens.

i was also thinking about grabbing a screw driver in the morning and taking a listen to make sure the noise is infact coming from the back of the blower...which im pretty sure it is.

thank you for all of the suggestions so far fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread