Easiest way to get irs pumpkin out?

asierra1

Established Member
Hey guys,

The rtv behind my Frpp diff cover finally let go, so I'll be swapping in a lube locker gasket. I was wondering what the easiest way to get the pumpkin out would be. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

cj428mach

Established Member
Good luck. This was one of those mods I absolutely dreaded. I followed the guide in the how to section.

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
You don't have to drop the IRS, although it might be easier that way. I left my IRS in, and pulled the driveshaft and half-shafts out, disconnected the front diff. mount brace, the rear cover bolts. and basically lowered it down onto my chest while laying on a creeper since I didn't have a transmission jack or attachment for my regular jack. It was a lot harder installing it that way. Thing probably weighed a good 45-50 lbs after I rebuilt it with new gears, and holding it up with one hand trying to insert a few bolts to get it mounted was definitely not fun. Dropped it on myself a few times, haha. I wish you could pull the cover on these cars without going through all this trouble, but there's just not enough clearance. I tried.

asierra1

Established Member
Ya I spent a lot of time trying to find an angle that would suffice. No luck. I have access to a lift, so it looks like I'll just unbolt the cb, irs, and brake lines and lift the car off the rear end. Shoot

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
I rebuilt mine a few months ago. I wish I had the money at the time to do the full FTBR kit and be done with it, but I bought my Cobra and only drove it a month before I tore it all apart and it was sitting in my garage without a rear-end for about 6 months while I slowly put it back together lol. I've gotta pull the knuckles back off and put more new wheel bearings in because I think I messed them up when I pressed them in and I can hear them making noise while driving. The worst part of the whole task is removing the e-brake cables from the calipers.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
When I did mine last year, I found that I didn't need to remove the axle nut or the tie rod. I just took out the top and bottom bolt from the spindle and that let me pull the axle out enough to drop the diff. Saved some time that way.

cj428mach

Established Member
When I did mine last year, I found that I didn't need to remove the axle nut or the tie rod. I just took out the top and bottom bolt from the spindle and that let me pull the axle out enough to drop the diff. Saved some time that way.

I did this as well. Make sure you mark your top bolts on the spindle so you don't have to get an alignment again.

The worst part was fishing the center section back in because the FRPP cover is big compared to the stocker.

mp23

Established Member
I just did mine it was actually pretty easy. I followed some write up but would advise a few changes.

1. Unbolt the wheel assembly from the spindle .
2 The directions I followed said you could leave the rotor on and pull it out far enough to clear the axle. Big mistake broke the brake fittings.

I would just remove the caliper bracket and mounting hardware and pull the halfshafts out along with the rotors in one piece. The rest is pretty easy if you have a trans jack it will work great, If you don't you can get one from harbor freight for 75 bucks and it will come in very handy in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread