easiest imrc deletes. ever.

harvboi05

Established Member
i dont know if people have posted this before, but i thought this saved a lot of work.

im in the process of assembling my motor and thought this was pretty neat. its an easy way to keep you imrcs wide open.

this is what a regular imrc looks like from the rear:
2011-10-15_21-14-57_450.jpg

and a regular imrc at wide open notice the stop on the cable mount:
2011-10-15_21-15-12_751.jpg

loosen the two 8mm bolts as seen here:
2011-10-15_21-15-44_270.jpg

reposition the imrc blade wheel behind the cable mount stop so that the stop actually holds the imrcs open:
in the works:
2011-10-15_21-14-17_290.jpg

2011-10-15_21-16-59_619.jpg

repositioned:
2011-10-15_21-18-00_808.jpg

finished product:
2011-10-15_21-12-09_494.jpg

enjoy your now open imrcs (dont forget your tune!). no deletes needed, no jb weld. im doing this with the motor in my sunroom, but it may be possible with the motor and intake manifold still in the car. hope this makes sense.

harvboi05

Established Member
im sure theyre slightly restrictive, compared to an open runner. but the difference would be unknown to a human w/o any highly accurate measuring systems.

i plan on making 600+ and running this imrc setup.

harvboi05

Established Member
i just thought the 4 bolts were better than the 16 lil screws. ha.

CJK440

Established Member
But they are not deleted?

The touted benefit (if much at all) of deletes is to remove the airflow restriction of the shafts and open butterfly blades and to do that you sacrifice some low speed drivability because there is nothing to close off the secondary port.

So by locking them open you lose the IMRC function below the set point and you gain nothing over properly functioning IMRC's above the RPM point. The only benefit I suppose of locking them open is to be able to ditch a problematic IMRC controller. To make matters worse, technically since the stops aren't set to contact as designed (now they are on the other end of the tab) the new blade angle may actually be hurting air flow (vs stock plates wide open) and if thats the case, you crippled performance above and below the IMRC RPM setpoint.

Personally I would pull them off and delete them properly by stripping out the shafts and JB welding up the holes. Its not hard.

Last edited:

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
one easy way since your running boost is to remove the shafts, knock out the bearings and than get a 3/8 tap and 4 plugs to plug the ends of the imrc, no fear of blow out

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
one easy way since your running boost is to remove the shafts, knock out the bearings and than get a 3/8 tap and 4 plugs to plug the ends of the imrc, no fear of blow out

That doesnt sound easy at all, lol. Thats the most complicated one anyone has said on here so far! :lol1:

harvboi05

Established Member

Thats a great idea! Ill probly do that now that I've been shunned off like a leper. Id like to tap those holes use a barb fitting for boost reference.

CJK440

Established Member
Even after plugging the ends with NPT plugs I would still go back and block off the shaft holes between the cylinder pairs. There is a good amount of meat in the plastic plates and actually a pocket you can fill so the JB weld can't pop out. You'll see when you get the shafts out.

Don't bother filling the hole between the primary and secondary ports.

Filling one end with a barb for boost reference is good thinking. I wonder if the pressure/vacuum in once port will be the same as referencing the plenum.

Users who are viewing this thread