E85 Tune Gains for new 5.0?

twistedneck

Established Member
The easiest thing to prevent the wear of e85 is fill up with 93 oct every couple fill ups of e85 and run it.

Is there any issue with residual 93 pump gas in the tank not being used up before putting the E85 back in? i know Shaun's e85 tuning includes a tune to empty out the tank with a key power on that way you can easly fully empty the system.

Also, the issue with the 47 injectors was not duty cycle it was tuning. the 47's dont have fuel tables published yet so i think there is an issue tuning them. ID1000's are awesome for tuning and will support any future mods.

04compgt

Established Member
Is there any issue with residual 93 pump gas in the tank not being used up before putting the E85 back in? i know Shaun's e85 tuning includes a tune to empty out the tank with a key power on that way you can easly fully empty the system.

Also, the issue with the 47 injectors was not duty cycle it was tuning. the 47's dont have fuel tables published yet so i think there is an issue tuning them. ID1000's are awesome for tuning and will support any future mods.

hmmmm, that's weird my 47# injectors run like stock injectors, you would never even know I have injectors in my car its so smooth. I think this statement is incorrect about the 47# injectors, mine were extremely easy to tune and I do the tuning myself, I am not a professional tuner either I am just a regular DIY guy.

Radar Doc

Established Member

Hello Mr. Neck,

FRPP 47lb Injector Calibration

Also, SCT has a value file in Advantage III/PRP that works perfectly.

Mike

Last edited:

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
People really don't know anything about e85 , it's hard to answer questions because you can google Half the answers , my 768rwhp whipple 3.4 03 cobra ran on e85 for 2 years , broke drivetrain part all the time and it would sit with e85 in the tank for 2-3 months an no residual damage ,nothing ,nada. And now my 2012 runs on it , AED tuned with boss intake ,cai,47lb. Gt500 injectors I bought used for $175 , off road cat-less h-pipe, and axle back . Car runs perfect , idles perfect and feels no different then stock except for power increase . Theses cars have dual wide bands !!!! There's no need to even get a Dyno tune unless you wanna know what your power is . Shaun will walk you through data logging and loading tunes to tuner and loading them into car . It's easy !!!! $300 you get 6 tunes , 3 pump gas , 3 e85 tunes . With the customer service and reputation you'd be stupid to go any other way ...IMO

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
People really don't know anything about e85 , it's hard to answer questions because you can google Half the answers , my 768rwhp whipple 3.4 03 cobra ran on e85 for 2 years , broke drivetrain part all the time and it would sit with e85 in the tank for 2-3 months an no residual damage ,nothing ,nada. And now my 2012 runs on it , AED tuned with boss intake ,cai,47lb. Gt500 injectors I bought used for $175 , off road cat-less h-pipe, and axle back . Car runs perfect , idles perfect and feels no different then stock except for power increase . Theses cars have dual wide bands !!!! There's no need to even get a Dyno tune unless you wanna know what your power is . Shaun will walk you through data logging and loading tunes to tuner and loading them into car . It's easy !!!! $300 you get 6 tunes , 3 pump gas , 3 e85 tunes . With the customer service and reputation you'd be stupid to go any other way ...IMO

3 pump gas, 3 e85, and datalog support all for 300!? Only if I wasn't warranty shy. Damn it :(

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
I wouldn't waste your time unless your looking for every little bit out of the car. E85 is hard to find and may be discontinued in the future.

I timed how long it took to pop my hood and hook the gt500 fuel filter into my fuel line then run the hose into a gas jug , load the fuel pump tune Shaun gives you (which lets the fuel pump run continuously to drain the tank) drained the tank of e85 , plug the fuel line back in, load the pump gas tune in and dump 5 gallons of pump gas back in........18 minutes !!!!!! So if they quit making or selling e85 it takes me 18 minutes to safely switch back to pump gas !!!! Is it worth running the e85 while we can ?? IMO absolutely !!! It's not just the 10-15 hp gain that's the only benefit , the cooling properties alone are worth the effort , especially with the small rings and tight ring gaps in our cars !! It allows more timing with better detonation protection than pump gas !! Like I said people really don't know much about e85 , it is an AMAZING , CHEAP !! Replacement for a race fuel that has the exact same benefits

kbroush

Established Member
Im seriously thinking about getting an e85 tune after I install my exhaust and intake. Where I live there are a few e85 stations around so it would not be too difficult to keep filled up on it! So the fuel injectors are really the only thing that needs to be upgraded for this?

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
Im seriously thinking about getting an e85 tune after I install my exhaust and intake. Where I live there are a few e85 stations around so it would not be too difficult to keep filled up on it! So the fuel injectors are really the only thing that needs to be upgraded for this?

Yes, if there was any other necessities Shaun would require them because he's not gonna tune a car un-safely. The gt-500 injectors are easy to be had because so many people upgrade and have no need for the stock 47s, IMO that's what I would look for if your on a budget. I am going to the Dyno tomorrow and I will post up my results.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I think it depends on your end goals with the car. My tuner wants ID1000 and a return style fuel system before he will tune for e85. Probably a next year project but with e85 and a smaller pulley he said he should be able to tune it for about 680 hp. He recently tuned my car with the id1000's and the headers and got it to 575 before he was getting knock because of fuel around here. That is about 55hp more than I was getting from the Brenspeed tune and the Brenspeed tune was running lean as was evidenced by spark plugs, which I replaced also.

wolfman311

Established Member
Has anyone go through the stock components to see if there are any weak points for 85% ethanol? Ethanol is awesome but can wear things out if not up to ethanol standards. 10% ethanol that are in most gas these days is not the same as 85% ethanol.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I think you might be thinking of methanol vs ethanol. Ethanol is not corrosive like methanol is. Your stock components are fine for running ethanol. I do however recommend at least 47lb injectors.

jn2

Established Member
I think you might be thinking of methanol vs ethanol. Ethanol is not corrosive like methanol is. Your stock components are fine for running ethanol. I do however recommend at least 47lb injectors.

47's are needed for boss manifold and CJ manifold. If you are on stock manifold and sticking to <7k rpm then the stock injectors on e85 would be okay as long as you have flex fuel logic enabled. Key is to watch your injector duty cycle

toby

47's are needed for boss manifold and CJ manifold. If you are on stock manifold and sticking to <7k rpm then the stock injectors on e85 would be okay as long as you have flex fuel logic enabled. Key is to watch your injector duty cycle

What is flex fuel logic enabled??
Will E85 make a difference on stock injectors and stock tune?

cjd223

Established Member
You won't like your mpg on E85. My car went from 25mpg @ a 70mph cruise on 96 octane to 15mpg on E85. BTW there is no need for a return fuel system below 700whp. A good BAP and 95# injectors will work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread