E85 Testing Slightly Low

Sledder

Established Member
Located in Southeast Michigan, specifically Western Washtenaw County, and my regular stations, that have always tested right on, are now testing slightly low. Speedway was at 83% and Marathon was at 80%.

Was wondering if this is a trend elsewhere? Thinking about using VP X85 at the track.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought some in north Florida last week and it was dead on 85%, and yes 80 should be fine based on other conversations on this subject.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've been going to the same station here in my neighborhood for 5 years now....it's always E87 year round. Filled up 2 weeks ago E87

E80~E83 should not be an issue at all for a car tuned originally on E85.....should run just fractionally rich unless you have a pcm that adjusts on the fly

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting development. We have/had a large ethanol plant in our area, it closed yesterday due to the price of gas being so low. Now I am wondering if other plants will follow making E85 gas harder to come by.
Might be something to watch.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Interesting development. We have/had a large ethanol plant in our area, it closed yesterday due to the price of gas being so low. Now I am wondering if other plants will follow making E85 gas harder to come by.
Might be something to watch.

I certainly hope not. I don't see ethanol going away all together unless the feds struck down the law requiring the minimums that are required in the 87/91/93 gas pumps, that's the vast majority of the ethanol consumption. Probably not happening with all the corn piled up every year. When gas demand goes back up in "hopefully" the very near future, the ethanol plants should ramp back up

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
The feds told this one that it would NOT start up again. This is the second time they shut it down. It was owned by the Koch brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread