~E85 Test~

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Well I was out today and decided to stop by and grab another sample of E85 for testing.

I use Quickfuel's E85 Tester to test the amount of Ethanol in the fuel I buy.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-36-E85/
attachment.php

Thus far it has always come out to "True" E85 or 85% Ethanol. (Even in the Winter here in Texas)

This time I thought I would post up some pictures to show you how I do it.

It is really very easy.

The QFT E-Checker can help the racer calibrate their air/fuel mixture. Using the E-Checker takes only a few moments and is simple to use. First you add water to the first line on the E-Checker and then pour in the E85 sample to the second line. The ethanol absorbs the water and the gasoline floats on top revealing a definitive boundary. This boundary will lie in the area of the E-Checker that is graduated giving you the percentage of ethanol in the E85 fuel. The glass E-Checker comes with it's own durable carrying case to keep it safe in any toolbox.

Here is what I came up with today.

4766473914_3740d69278_b.jpg

As you can see the definite line is at the 85% mark meaning "True E85"

Just thought I would share.

Edit: Oh E85 was $2.11 per gallon today. :dancenana:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Man. I need to switch.

Ill just tell the wife its cost effective to do so. :lol: :read: :rockon:

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
wow, i have been paying 2.29 gal here, 91oct just went up to 3.20. i love that we have 17 e-85 stations in vegas.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Kevin or anyone that knows, Will my SCT BA2400 suffice for E85 conversion? I think I remember Manny saying it would, but I want to make sure since I'm in the process of ordering everything else.

RangerTuckn20z

Behemoth
Established Member
I love E85 already and I am still haven't gotten tuned yet. Im in the process of making sure all the 93 is out the tank.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
thats a pretty handy tool for you E85 guys.
Yes it is. It is really nice to know what you are getting.

Man. I need to switch.

Ill just tell the wife its cost effective to do so. :lol: :read: :rockon:
LOL. That should work. :smmon::-D

Whats involved with switching? an E-85 shop just opened like a block away
Basically more fuel. About 30-40% more fuel volume is needed. Most people upgrade their fuel systems anyway so it is very easy. (Bigger injectors and pumps) That's all that is needed.

They also make those to test gasoline for ethanol content.
Yes they do.

See above.

Bigger injectors(i`d go with 80`s) and more pump(bap,GT`s,etc.) and a tune revision of course.
There are many fuel options.

Nice man. Looks more like E86 haha.
Yeah, it might have been a little bit more, but there might be a hair of error with this size test tube.

Nice write up Kevin. Now if only Jacksonville can get a station or 2.
See below Ron.

wow, i have been paying 2.29 gal here, 91oct just went up to 3.20. i love that we have 17 e-85 stations in vegas.
91 @ $3.20?? :eek: E85 FTW!!!! :rockon:

I thought you had to switch out the fuel lines/hoses to run E85.
No, the stock stuff is fine. You just need more volume.

^^No. Pumps and injectors + retune = drive away.
Correct.

Kevin or anyone that knows, Will my SCT BA2400 suffice for E85 conversion? I think I remember Manny saying it would, but I want to make sure since I'm in the process of ordering everything else.
You MAF has nothing to do with E85. If it is working OK now, it will work fine with E85 Chris.

You do have 1!!lol I just need 1 closer to Palatka!!

Gate 1136
9450 San Jose Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32257
904-737-7220
There you go Ron! LOL... :thumbsup:

liquid gold baby!!!!!!!!!!! love that stuff!
:rockon:

what do you guys run your BAP at? my gt pumps are maxed with by BAP @ 30.
50. There is no reason to run any less on a BAP. The FPDM controls voltage as long as you wire it Pre-FPDM.

I love E85 already and I am still haven't gotten tuned yet. Im in the process of making sure all the 93 is out the tank.
You can ask your tuner to give you a "Drain Fuel" tune. There is a parameter that turns on the fuel pumps 100% in the tune when you turn the key on. Don't worry about getting every last drop out. Remember you are running E10 now anyway and E85 is still 15% gasoline.

Here is a fuel question for switching from gas to e85. How low do you run a tank down to switch from one to the other?
See above.

Users who are viewing this thread